ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

What would you do in this scenario?

okay, I have recently met with some people who were interested in me doing their wedding on June 13th. They liked what they saw but said they had to talk to the groom(I met with the bride and bride's mother) They did not confirm anything as of yet, and I require a $100 deposit to hold the day and they did not do that either.
    Well, just a couple days ago I was contacted by another couple who are getting married in June. I do not know the date yet. but if it falls on the same day what should I do?
    Do I do first come, first serve - whoever puts the deposit down first gets the day? Do I contact the other people and tell them that someone else is interested now before I meet with the 2nd couple?

What would be the most professional way to go about this?
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: What would you do in this scenario?

I would say you are a free agent until someone pays you to reserve the day. I would probably contact the first couple as a courtesy before you meet with the second couple.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    I would say you are a free agent until someone pays you to reserve the day. I would probably contact the first couple as a courtesy before you meet with the second couple.
    Exactly. As the old saying goes, money talks and - well, you know the rest...

Whoever pays first, gets the day. Suppose you tell the second couple, sorry, I've got someone interested in that day, and then the first couple never books?

I'd send a quick email to the first couple, touching base and reminding them that you can't reserve the date until you have the retainer (not the deposit!!!), and that you'd love to work with them, and if they have any questions give you a call.

Business is business, and as long as they are aware that you need a retainer to hold the date, there's no reason not to meet with the other couple and find out what they are interested in.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Its happen to me once that the first couple did not come back for a retianer and then I lose the second couple too, I would contace the first couple and let them know hey there are someone else are in the same date and give them a three day dead line for a contract to be sign and please get at least half of the total balance up front and the rest one month prior to the actual wedding date. because 100 they will tent to walk or find someone else but half...they won't.

good luck friend,

Thread Information