ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: film to use

film to use

I love the internet always a forum that can help.

Just got my first non point and shoot, Canon Elan 7E. I also purchased a Canon 28-105 lens and based on the reveiws in on this site am about to purchase a Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super II. My wife and I are about to take our delayed honeymoon to Hawaii. I have been using Fuji 800 based on a recemmondation from a friend of a friend. I am curious if there is another film I should consider for the Hawaiian landscape and telephoto lens. I also enjoy shooting people, okay maybe I need to re-phrase that, I enjoy photographs of people.

Thanks for any help

It's A Personal Choice...

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy
    I love the internet always a forum that can help.

Just got my first non point and shoot, Canon Elan 7E. I also purchased a Canon 28-105 lens and based on the reveiws in on this site am about to purchase a Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super II. My wife and I are about to take our delayed honeymoon to Hawaii. I have been using Fuji 800 based on a recemmondation from a friend of a friend. I am curious if there is another film I should consider for the Hawaiian landscape and telephoto lens. I also enjoy shooting people, okay maybe I need to re-phrase that, I enjoy photographs of people.

Thanks for any help

That will come with experience. When I got my first SLR, I shot a lot of Kodak Gold 100. Great film, and it came in four packs at Wal Mart for a reasonable price. Wal Mart no longer carries it, much to my dismay. I tried Kodak Max, but I don't care much for it. I'm not real keen on Fuji's Super HQ either.

What I use for my everyday film, is Fuji Superia Xtra 400. It's less than $7.00 for a four pack at Wal Mart. It works very well for low light situations and high speed (read sports) situations. Great color and detail - so much so that it is what I use to shoot weddings with.

For Landscapes I would highly recommend Fuji Reala (it's 100 speed). It is very fine grained and is saturated in the blue/green end of the spectrum. For Portraits, I love Kodak Porta 160 NC. Makes for beautiful portraits. Check B&H Photo - www.bhphotovideo.com - They have some of the best prices around.

Like I said, it's a personal choice. After you've shot enough different films, you'll get an idea of what you like. Definitely start with print film - it has a wider lattitude than slide film. Move on to slides later if you wish. And save the 800 speed film for night/low light work.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your vacation in Hawaii. And be sure to post some of those images when you get back.

BTW, I have the Quantaray (made by Sigma) 70-300mm LDO Macro and I love it. Great lens for the price.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I just got photos returned from the Caribbean...

And the film I used worked perfectly for the beautiful colors. I used Kodak Portra VC - 400. UC is very good too, although a bit more expensive than the VC. Both are pro grade films, so try to find a cheap place like B&H to buy it from - it is more expensive than the consumer grade films.

Have fun!
    Post the good ones here!

Megan

Film brands and types are very personal choices, but I would recommend an ISO 400 to be your primary film, with some 100 & 800 in your bag for those bright and less-bright moments. I prefer Fuji film over Kodak, but you'll get people that think totally opposite from me, and that's fine, you really can't go wrong with either brand.

Thanks for the help

We have bought some Fuji Reala, Superia Xtra 400 and 800, 23 rolls in all.

I will likely pick up a few rolls of black and white also, any recommendations?

How should I try to load for the different occasions (i.e. sunrise landscape, mid-day landscapes and waterfalls, surfers/windsurfers, nighttime luaus)? The camera doesn't allow us to trade out mid roll, at least not that I am aware.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy
    I will likely pick up a few rolls of black and white also, any recommendations?

How should I try to load for the different occasions (i.e. sunrise landscape, mid-day landscapes and waterfalls, surfers/windsurfers, nighttime luaus)? The camera doesn't allow us to trade out mid roll, at least not that I am aware.

Thanks again.
    B&W is a whole different world... It's almost a specialty process (at least at one-hour places) to use real black and white films like Kodak Tri-X which has been around for 50 years. Great film, but you'll have to take it to a good lab to get the results from it - or do it yourself if you're interested at some point.

Another option would be the black and white films that get developed in regular color process chemestry. Sometimes the prints can have a color cast to them, but done right they look great. Kodak T400CN is my favorite of this type, but I think it's recently been discontinued.

Generally, you want to use the slowest film that you can for a situation to keep the grain under control. On the other hand, it can be a pain to do it that way because you wind up with 8 shots on a roll of 36 and then you decide you want to change film... Like Charles said, you might want to stick mainly with 400 which should do a good job in most situations. Sunsets and waterfalls would probably be best with 100 speed - but only if you're using a tripod.

Thread Information