• 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
    jgredline
    Testing one of my engines :)
  • 04-03-2008, 02:30 PM
    Ballen Photo
    Re: Testing one of my engines :)
    Cool series Javier, I like that the airplane is in a few of them, but my favorite is the one with the car catching big air. :D
    -Bruce
  • 04-03-2008, 02:38 PM
    lensface
    oh.... my.... god.... that looks like so much fun! reminds me of the days I used to spend on sand highway in Pismo beach. great pics.
  • 04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
    Ballen Photo
    Hi Again Javier, I note you encourage editing of your images, so here's the crop or framing I would like to see done with the original.
    Makes the image seem a bit more dramatic imo.
    -Bruce
    http://www.fototime.com/C5602A6C8599420/standard.jpg
  • 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
    jgredline
    Bruce,Thanks for the edit and a good one at that!
    I have amny more better images, but in my haste and excitement, I have not had a chance to do any editing other resizing.
  • 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
    Xia_Ke
    WOAH! What do I have to do to get a test drive in that?!?!?! :eek::yikes: :eek6:
  • 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
    Frog
    Looks like fun. Too bad the plane wasn't in the getting air shot.
  • 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
    Ballen Photo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Too bad the plane wasn't in the getting air shot.

I think that would have been the money shot. :D
    -Bruce
  • 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
    Greg McCary
    Nice work Javier, you are getting better everyday. All of the practice? Is it your car? I see two red X's. Did a couple not show?
  • 04-03-2008, 07:23 PM
    Dave Smith
    Way cool action shots Javier
  • 04-03-2008, 08:50 PM
    jgredline
    Folks, thank you for all the wonderful comments. Thank you..

Greg, The car is not mine. I build race engines for a living and while I don't talk about it, I thought these shots where kinda cool...As for getting better, I can't take credit for that...While I do practice allot, the credit must be given to folks here...In particular I pay allot of attention to MB, Gary, Xia, Frog, AE and this fellow ''Greg''...this is by no ,means a complete list, there are many others here as well...

As for the Red X's I don't see anything like that? hmm
  • 04-03-2008, 09:03 PM
    jgredline
  • 04-04-2008, 03:00 AM
    readingr
    Javier,

A plane coming in for landing definately defines the speed that the car is doing, excellent series of shots.

Since you haven't eidted them I won't critique other than some need cropping.

Roger
  • 04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
    jgredline
    Quote:

Originally Posted by readingr
    Javier,

A plane coming in for landing definately defines the speed that the car is doing, excellent series of shots.

Since you haven't eidted them I won't critique other than some need cropping.

Roger

Roger,
    Thank you. I did not edit them because I wanted to show the car in context.. In particular the one with the place. I hate that funny blue sky/ back ground in the first set and I could have spent a few minutes is PS to fix that, but they are as they came out.

I would very much, love to hear your critique as CC is a +...
  • 04-04-2008, 08:33 AM
    readingr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jgredline
    Roger,
    Thank you. I did not edit them because I wanted to show the car in context.. In particular the one with the place. I hate that funny blue sky/ back ground in the first set and I could have spent a few minutes is PS to fix that, but they are as they came out.

I would very much, love to hear your critique as CC is a +...

one of my main thoughts around them is that some seem a little washed out and could do with some saturation and possibly colour correction. Its difficult to go through them as a group.

Last set of the last ones posted look good.but the two top ones look a little over exposed to me. These are the one's with the white bank showing.

The shots with the plane in I would crop some of the foreground out, possibly between half way to the bank to the bank itself. I would suggest cropping a couple of inches off the right, half way to the plane.

Another idea that I would try is to convert them to B&W but I fear that the plane would be lost in the background during the conversion, otherwise add some saturation to them and some contrast as well.

Hope that helps.

Roger
  • 04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
    jgredline
    Roger
    We are thinking around similar thoughts. Biggest problem I had to deal with was the sun. We are talking about a very harsh light in the middle of the day, Hence the funny looking skys. I was using center weighted metering and perhaps I should have been using Spot metering...Al though I am more inclined to think that a Polarizer or ND filter would have been the ticket.. We are going out again this weekend for an actual race so I will be better prepared...As for the crops, If I where after a single shot, then, ya...Crop away..
  • 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM
    brmill26
    These are awesome Javier. That looks like so much fun!
  • 04-04-2008, 10:21 AM
    jgredline
    Thanks Brad...It is a Rush....
  • 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM
    jgredline
    Here are a few more. These I have edited some.
    Don't know if I helped them or hurt them.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4340/imgp0477jp9.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8486/imgp0476nc5.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4830/imgp0469zk3.jpg

Here is a pic of the engine :)
    Shot this with my G9.
    http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6318/img0185ra5.jpg

All critique is welcomed.
  • 04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
    Ballen Photo
    Nice action shots Javier, :D
    Quote:

Here is a pic of the engine :)
    Shot this with my G9.

What is the make and model of that one?
    BTW, I still use my G5 for dusty environments. Great camera for that.
    -Bruce
  • 04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
    jgredline
    Bruce
    The is a 99 Honda B16A engine...That is another thing. The dust was killer so I only took a few shots with the G9...My PENTAX is weather and dust proof so that did not bother me.
  • 04-04-2008, 03:12 PM
    Ballen Photo
    Quote:

Bruce
    The is a 99 Honda B16A engine...That is another thing. The dust was killer so I only took a few shots with the G9...My PENTAX is weather and dust proof so that did not bother me.

COOL, Thanks! I was thinking Honda, but wasn't sure. I had an old Honda Prelude with a B20 in it. The car was surprisingly quick. :p
    I know what you mean about being nervous about the dust. I've heard the new Pentax K10 etc are fairly well sealed.
    -Bruce
  • 04-04-2008, 04:53 PM
    brmill26
    Wow, that's one heck of an exhaust. I think it would fall well into the category of "long tube" headers! About how much power is it putting out?
  • 04-04-2008, 05:55 PM
    jgredline
    Brad
    It is putting out
    221Hp@ 8600RPM
    150.2 LBS of torque@7800RPM.

This class is restricted to 1600cc and 29mm venturies...Really hurts us, but we are up nearly 30Hp on the Toyotas..
  • 04-04-2008, 07:16 PM
    brmill26
    Man, that's a very healthy screamer! Quite a lot of power out of a motor of that size and w/ the air restrictions... well done.

Having a second at your third set of photos, I really like the first one in the group, but it needs less foreground. I think a crop would make it too tight, so maybe if you get a chance to shoot out there again, try to get into a slightly higher position to take the foreground jump lower or out of the shot. Other than that, I love everything else a/b that photo - the positioning of the car, the dust trial, the background... all fantastic.