ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: It's Over!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

It's Over!

As you may recall, I had a small showing of five of my photographs at a local coffee shop.
    I thought I'd share with you a few thoughts on it; I just returned from picking up my photographs. They were up for six weeks, it was originally supposed to be three or four.
    I am quite happy with the showing, even if I didn't sell any of them.
    I don't know how many people actually saw my photographs, beyond a few friends that told me so, but the woman I dealt with said that a lot of people came in and commented positivly on them.

My only complaint about the experience.
    I went in to see them after they had been up for about three weeks, and the photograph that was hanging in the lower right corner was not hanging in its original spot, it was still being displayed but was on the table. In it's place was a different photograph, not mine!?
    I didn't question her about it, but I will when I see her again when I drop off six photographs for another showing!

But that's another post...
    Brian
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 03-21-2005 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Better Title?
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Seb

Re: It's Over!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    As you may recall, I had a small showing of five of my photographs at a local coffee shop.
    I thought I'd share with you a few thoughts on it; I just returned from picking up my photographs. They were up for six weeks, it was originally supposed to be three or four.
    I don't know how many people actually saw my photographs, beyond a few friends that told me so, but the woman I dealt with said that a lot of people came in and commented positivly on them.

I went in to see them after they had been up for about three weeks, and the photograph that was hanging in the lower right corner was not hanging in its original spot, it was still being displayed but was on the table. In it's place was a different photograph, not mine!?
    I didn't question here about it, but I will when I see her again when I drop off six photographs for another showing!

Brian
    Thank you for sharing your experience Brian. This is inspiring.
    Keep us informed when you drop new photographs for a second showing.

Seb

Re: It's Over!

That's great! It's truly motivating to have your photographs shown isn't it? Choosing a small venue like the coffee shop is a great way to start IMHO, because you don't need a large outlay of cash and the effort needed is relatively small. Don't be discouraged by not selling anything, as I haven't sold anything yet either after 2 larger shows ;). I'm not sure your outlook, but my goal was (and is) to establish myself locally, and also get good feedback (both pos and neg) about what works and what to improve.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

-Stew

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian

I didn't question here about it, but I will when I see her again when I drop off six photographs for another showing!

Brian

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Congrats!

That's a little weird about the mystery photo being hung in a photo's place.
    I'd casually ask about it next time, definitely.

Good going Brian!

Megan

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Congrats!

I will for sure Megan.
    I think though, that the person who the picture was of, is a regular at this coffee shop and he sits right under the photograph. But I am not sure.
    I have seen this person enough times when I have gone there, but I may be wrong.
    Thanks everyone for being a part of this.
    I encourage EVERYONE to do it!
    As I stated in my original theard, a small showing of 5-10 photographs is very doable.
    I had the photographs printed at my preffered lab, which cost $14 each.
    I did all the framing and matting at home. Actually, my WONDERFUL wife cut the mattes. She is GOOD at it... ;)
    I bought all the frames with coupons that gave me 25, 40 or 50% off. Which put the cost at five to eight dollars per section. Glass was $8. Foam core was $10, which I could do four frames with and matte board was $14 which I could get four from too.
    I have the materials to do three more frames, minus the glass.
    So you do the math...
    Is there a cheaper way to do it? Maybe? There sure is a more expensive one.
    I would stick with either black frames for black and white photographs or silver ones for color. ALWAYS use white matte board, use the good stuff that is the same color through out the cut.
    Just a few thoughts..
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thread Information