ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Supermoon pictures, put'em here......

I planned this one out in advance. Let's see what you got. Put your super moon pictures here.

Little Tree and the Supermoon by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Supermoon pictures, put'em here......

Just the moon. Not as good as I wanted, but it is a photo. I will be more prepared next time.

DSC02353 by PWhite214, on Flickr

Phil
    Sony A77 and A700, Lots of old Minolta lenses, some Sigma lenses.

Thanks for starting this thread, Greg. And that's a beautiful photo. Love the blue and you nailed the exposure. Did you consider using a longer lens to make the moon bigger or is this exactly how you envisioned it?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, Greg. And that's a beautiful photo. Love the blue and you nailed the exposure. Did you consider using a longer lens to make the moon bigger or is this exactly how you envisioned it?
    Yes John I thought about a longer lens. My Bigma is not working at the moment and I find myself without a big zoom but I am working on fixing the problem. Thanks for the kind words.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I got out for a few shots on Saturday night. It was really windy, especially where I had planned my shoot so I tried to position behind my car as a wind block and time the exposures between gusts. I shot these with my new (to me) Pentax DA* 60-250 f/4. A very nice hunk of glass! I also took some with my A* 300mm prime as well but ended up preferring the slightly wider fov from the zoom.

IMGP5806-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

That's a smoke cloud below the moon here.

IMGP5820-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

Nice Matt. I think I saw this either in the gallery or on Flickr. John here is an edit and I did get the moon slightly larger. Sometimes I miss that 4/3rd x2 crop but I am working to remedy that problem.
    I again planned these in advance going to the Rock Village a week early with a good moon app and a compass. The moon came up right where it was suppose to.

Super Moon by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Sony a99/a7R

Also here is a very short time lapse. Something I am learning to do.

supermoon-rise from Greg McCary on Vimeo.

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg. Same to you!
    Did you use some kind of cart rig for the motion in that time lapse? Pretty cool!

odd light at moon rise , last jun 22, other days around the big moon were completely cloudy

I'm happy with this

I've been trying the time lapse function too, it is fun but i have not gotten anything worth showing

My effort...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Supermoon pictures, put'em here......-image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    odd light at moon rise , last jun 22, other days around the big moon were completely cloudy

I'm happy with this
    You should be happy, Armando. I love this photo. You might have gone out to get something else, but there's no doubt you brought home a winner.
    Photo-John

Haven't been over here in quite a while. Here are some of my latest moon shots, some super, others less super...

Fotos from May's full moon. I rented the $12k 500mm L and 1.4 converter to pair with my Canon 5D3. The first night I had a bunch of friends but missed getting them in front of the moon, darn it.

The second night, I got my pals in front of the moon but missed the focus! It was wild and windy that night and that monster lens was not happy on my not-so-big tripod.

Fast forward a month... For June I rented the 400mm f/5.6L and 2x converter. Good lordy that is a nice lens! I think I may have found the one. To date I've been shooting with a Rokinon 500mm fixed f6.3 and have reached it's limitations - specifically, I cannot get foreground and moon in focus at the same time with the fixed and too low f-stop. Want everything in focus? Crank up the fstop. Want the moon big relative to your foreground? Get far far away (like a mile or more) and use a great big tele.

Supermoon #1 on Saturday:

Supermoon #2 on Sunday. This shot was Image of the Day on Monday at EarthSky.org!

Yes, I am a wee bit obsessed with the moon... All images were shot in the Phoenix AZ metro area.
    durtgurl.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Thanks Greg. Same to you!
    Did you use some kind of cart rig for the motion in that time lapse? Pretty cool!
    Matt I have a Kenova slider but an MX2 controller. I really need a longer slider. Mine is 32 inches or so.
    Amazon.com: MX2 Timelapse Camera Slider Motion Controller: Everything Else

Sony a99/a7R

Wow, you have all the cool toys!

Durtgurl, WOWOWOWOWOWOW!
    Nice shots ! awesome job !

Durtgurl, WOWOWOWOWOWOW!
    Agreed. Those are fantastic!

Armando this is magical looking. Very nice.

Sony a99/a7R

Durtgurl, WOWOWOWOWOWOW!
    Thanks guys... there will be more! Another essential tool to full moon rise (or set) shots is the free program The Photographer's Ephemeris. The Photographer's Ephemeris You can get it for your iPhone, but it's best to plan ahead on your big desktop screen. I have yet to get my perfect dream shot, but will keep trying - it requires my friends (I like to call them "the talent") and the perfect location I have yet to find. I'd also like to rent the Canon 100-400L as sometimes it would be nice to have zoom for these shoots, but in the end I suspect that the supertele lens I purchase will be the 400mm f/5.6. Would appreciate any input from those who have used both (or something else)! My wallet is grateful that low-light capability is not a requirement.
    durtgurl.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Thanks guys... there will be more! Another essential tool to full moon rise (or set) shots is the free program The Photographer's Ephemeris.
    I'm glad to hear you're going to share more. I love the photos you've posted. They've got me inspired for the Supermoon, next month. Now that I'm seeing all the cool photos everyone took last weekend, I really wish I'd made the effort.

I agree about Photographer's Ephemeris. I have played with it a bit and I wrote and article about it. I haven't really needed it yet but I plan to for the next Supermoon. For this kind of photography you really need to know exactly where the moon is going to rise - at least if you want to put something cool in the foreground. Here's my article on it, for those who want to know more:

Photographer's Ephemeris Intro >>

Photographer's Ephemeris isn't the only option for planning your moonrise shot. Greg McCary actually uses a different app to find out where the moon will be. Can you post the name of that app here, Greg?
    Last edited by Photo-John; 06-26-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    Photo-John

I was going to try for moon silhouettes too but I had been shooting all day and didn't have the energy to mobilize the models. They were tired and didn't want to go out. Now I'm inspired to try harder for the next one!

John I use an app called Sun Surveyor. It really works well and is easy to use. The app and a good old fashion analog compass. I get tired of calibrating the phone that is why I have the compass.

Sun Surveyor | Sun & Moon Position Visualization and Tracking App for iOS & Android

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    I was going to try for moon silhouettes too but I had been shooting all day and didn't have the energy to mobilize the models. They were tired and didn't want to go out. Now I'm inspired to try harder for the next one!
    Funny... I know you and PhotoJohn are mtn bikers so you will enjoy this story. Last week I finally ponied up for a NEW bike, a Pivot Firebird 27.5. I was all ready to ride early in the mornings this weekend to beat our Phx heat, and shoot the moon photos in the evenings. Well, I must be getting old because I could only swing one thing - the photography. I guess we have to make difficult choices between our passions sometimes!
    durtgurl.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Funny... I know you and PhotoJohn are mtn bikers so you will enjoy this story. Last week I finally ponied up for a NEW bike, a Pivot Firebird 27.5. I was all ready to ride early in the mornings this weekend to beat our Phx heat, and shoot the moon photos in the evenings. Well, I must be getting old because I could only swing one thing - the photography. I guess we have to make difficult choices between our passions sometimes!
    Nice bike choice! I am in love with the 650b wheels
    Photo-John

Thread Information