sunset

Printable View

• 08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
    Ronnoco
    1 Attachment(s)
    sunset
    Sunsets are a bit of a clichée, but they often sell well. This is from Wolfville, Nova Scotia when the tide was out. The sand is quite red because of iron oxide. I still have not solved one problem with this photo yet, but I am working on it.

Ronnoco

By the way, feel free to edit this photo, to illustrate a suggestion for improvement.
  • 08-15-2006, 04:48 PM
    Skyman
    Re: sunset
    I like the way the intensity of the colours gives an alien feel to the landscape, it makes me feel like i am looking at something from another planet somehow!
  • 08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman
    I like the way the intensity of the colours gives an alien feel to the landscape, it makes me feel like i am looking at something from another planet somehow!

Thanks, Skyman. I am following the suggestions of a pro digital photography book that basically says that getting the colour right is basic to effective digital colour photography.
    The methods are very different from using film and making the transition is not as straightforward as some may think.

Ronnoco
  • 08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
    Jaedon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyman

I though Nove Scotia WAS another planet =P (So says the guy stuck in the middle of Canada......well... at least... the center of Canada's universe lol)

Awesome sunset though. I love the idea of capturing the low tides like that. Makes me want to pack up my camera and head east
  • 08-16-2006, 11:18 AM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaedon
    I though Nove Scotia WAS another planet =P (So says the guy stuck in the middle of Canada......well... at least... the center of Canada's universe lol)

Awesome sunset though. I love the idea of capturing the low tides like that. Makes me want to pack up my camera and head east

Surprisingly enough, Wolfville, Nova Scotia on that "other planet" where I took this sunset has two gourmet restaurants that are better than anything in the "middle of Canada".

Ronnoco
  • 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
    walterick
    Ron,

Good job getting the colors on this one. Am I correct in assuming you used a graduated tobacco or red filter here?

I see two distinct shots here. The preferable one is the upper half of the frame, with the red sands (which look like muddy water to me, hmm) cropped out. There's your picture, imo. Does this picture also seem over-sharpened to anyone? I'm getting pixelation on my screen.

Keep up the good work buddy!

Rick
  • 08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
    Ronnoco
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Ron,

Good job getting the colors on this one. Am I correct in assuming you used a graduated tobacco or red filter here?

Close, but not quite. I did use an enhancement filter though which is slightly magenta in colour and emphasizes reds.

Quote:

I see two distinct shots here. The preferable one is the upper half of the frame, with the red sands (which look like muddy water to me, hmm) cropped out. There's your picture, imo. Does this picture also seem over-sharpened to anyone? I'm getting pixelation on my screen.?

Uh, there are no red sands in the upper half of the frame. There is a row of clouds there above the horizon which may look like muddy water to you. The red sand is at the bottom of the frame.

The picture has definitely not been over-sharpened. As a matter of fact I blurred it to reduce noise.

Quote:

Keep up the good work buddy!
    Rick

Thanks Rick!

Ronnoco
  • 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
    Tom_Proctor
    I love pictures that make it so when you look at the sun, it puts strain on your eyes like you're actually looking at it. Great photo!
  • 08-16-2006, 04:35 PM
    racingpinarello
    I disagree on the cliche part of sunsets if you execute well and make it emotional to the viewer.

For the photo, did you use a tripod? I am not sure why there is so much noise or grain in the photo. What ISO did you use? Also, the colors are blocked up in the shadows which takes away from the image. The concepts of the photo is great, but the lack of detail in the bottom half of the photo gives it less impact. Why did you choose the magenta filter? Did you take one without it?

Importantly though, it's the vision that is important and you captured something very nice.

Loren
  • 08-17-2006, 05:59 AM
    Ronnoco
    [QUOTE=racingpinarello]I disagree on the cliche part of sunsets if you execute well and make it emotional to the viewer.

For the photo, did you use a tripod? I am not sure why there is so much noise or grain in the photo. What ISO did you use? Also, the colors are blocked up in the shadows which takes away from the image. The concepts of the photo is great, but the lack of detail in the bottom half of the photo gives it less impact. Why did you choose the magenta filter? Did you take one without it?

I did not use a tripod, but it was F 4.9 at 1/100 sec. at ISO 100. Actually it was an enhancement filter that I was experimenting with, that is fairly neutral although I noticed a light magenta colour to the glass. After the fact, I probably should have used the graduated neutral density filter instead.

Anyway, I know about the noise and will problem solve that one and the lack of detail at the bottom is also an excellent point to work on as well.

I appreciate your knowledgeable comments.

Ronnoco