ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: sunset

sunset

Sunsets are a bit of a clichée, but they often sell well. This is from Wolfville, Nova Scotia when the tide was out. The sand is quite red because of iron oxide. I still have not solved one problem with this photo yet, but I am working on it.

Ronnoco

By the way, feel free to edit this photo, to illustrate a suggestion for improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sunset-wolfvillesun.jpg  
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 08-15-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Re: sunset

I like the way the intensity of the colours gives an alien feel to the landscape, it makes me feel like i am looking at something from another planet somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    I like the way the intensity of the colours gives an alien feel to the landscape, it makes me feel like i am looking at something from another planet somehow!
    Thanks, Skyman. I am following the suggestions of a pro digital photography book that basically says that getting the colour right is basic to effective digital colour photography.
    The methods are very different from using film and making the transition is not as straightforward as some may think.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman

I though Nove Scotia WAS another planet =P (So says the guy stuck in the middle of Canada......well... at least... the center of Canada's universe lol)

Awesome sunset though. I love the idea of capturing the low tides like that. Makes me want to pack up my camera and head east
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedon
    I though Nove Scotia WAS another planet =P (So says the guy stuck in the middle of Canada......well... at least... the center of Canada's universe lol)

Awesome sunset though. I love the idea of capturing the low tides like that. Makes me want to pack up my camera and head east
    Surprisingly enough, Wolfville, Nova Scotia on that "other planet" where I took this sunset has two gourmet restaurants that are better than anything in the "middle of Canada".

Ronnoco

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Ron,

Good job getting the colors on this one. Am I correct in assuming you used a graduated tobacco or red filter here?

I see two distinct shots here. The preferable one is the upper half of the frame, with the red sands (which look like muddy water to me, hmm) cropped out. There's your picture, imo. Does this picture also seem over-sharpened to anyone? I'm getting pixelation on my screen.

Keep up the good work buddy!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Ron,

Good job getting the colors on this one. Am I correct in assuming you used a graduated tobacco or red filter here?
    Close, but not quite. I did use an enhancement filter though which is slightly magenta in colour and emphasizes reds.

I see two distinct shots here. The preferable one is the upper half of the frame, with the red sands (which look like muddy water to me, hmm) cropped out. There's your picture, imo. Does this picture also seem over-sharpened to anyone? I'm getting pixelation on my screen.?
    Uh, there are no red sands in the upper half of the frame. There is a row of clouds there above the horizon which may look like muddy water to you. The red sand is at the bottom of the frame.

The picture has definitely not been over-sharpened. As a matter of fact I blurred it to reduce noise.

Keep up the good work buddy!
    Rick
    Thanks Rick!

Ronnoco

I love pictures that make it so when you look at the sun, it puts strain on your eyes like you're actually looking at it. Great photo!
    Nikon D50
    Nikkor 28mm-80mm f/3.3-5.6
    Quantaray 70mm-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    Quantaray 58mm Circular Polarizer, Diffuser, UV Haze Filters

I disagree on the cliche part of sunsets if you execute well and make it emotional to the viewer.

For the photo, did you use a tripod? I am not sure why there is so much noise or grain in the photo. What ISO did you use? Also, the colors are blocked up in the shadows which takes away from the image. The concepts of the photo is great, but the lack of detail in the bottom half of the photo gives it less impact. Why did you choose the magenta filter? Did you take one without it?

Importantly though, it's the vision that is important and you captured something very nice.

Loren
    Last edited by racingpinarello; 08-16-2006 at 09:18 PM.
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

[QUOTE=racingpinarello]I disagree on the cliche part of sunsets if you execute well and make it emotional to the viewer.

For the photo, did you use a tripod? I am not sure why there is so much noise or grain in the photo. What ISO did you use? Also, the colors are blocked up in the shadows which takes away from the image. The concepts of the photo is great, but the lack of detail in the bottom half of the photo gives it less impact. Why did you choose the magenta filter? Did you take one without it?

I did not use a tripod, but it was F 4.9 at 1/100 sec. at ISO 100. Actually it was an enhancement filter that I was experimenting with, that is fairly neutral although I noticed a light magenta colour to the glass. After the fact, I probably should have used the graduated neutral density filter instead.

Anyway, I know about the noise and will problem solve that one and the lack of detail at the bottom is also an excellent point to work on as well.

I appreciate your knowledgeable comments.

Ronnoco

Thread Information