ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK daiv07's Avatar

Question Where is our resident bird guru?

Took these pics when we were out hiking. not super close ups, i cropped them. Any ideas?? I think it's the endangered pileated woodpecker. any confirmations?

Taken with Fuji Reala film. Canon Rebel G, Tamron 70-300mm lens. auto Ap/Tv

Took it in Prince George BC, in the Forest for the World, mid March of this year.

Daiv
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That is a pileated woodpecker but as far as I know they are not endangered.

hrm...

Quite possibly right. Thought I heard that somewhere but never took the time to confirm it.
    hmmm

ok just looked around and found it WAS on the list. not anymore though. found a couple sites saying it's candidate.

Looks like it really depends on the region. but your right. I haven't found anything saying it is endagered at the moment. my bad.

Daiv.
    Last edited by daiv07; 04-02-2004 at 09:38 PM.

I can see where it may be a candidate due to it's requirement of old growth forests. They are really awesome birds to watch. It's great that you got to photograph one!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    JimK is quite right! maybe i have a run for the money on this site ?

btw... is that a hole that SHE is near? if so..... you found the nest i bet!!

they are easy to find by ear... LOUD drumming(LOUD!) and the call is a distinctive keekeekeekee...

they usually hunt within 10 feet of the ground and are leary in most areas(florida is a great place to see them close)

oh, and we have something in common..... I spent 17 years as an arborist(my two brothers are still climbers and my cousin is a cert tree expert/ forester)
    Last edited by paulnj; 04-03-2004 at 07:18 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Excellent. I figured it was a she, but wasn't sure about that. Yeah, must be the nest. didn't even notice it until after i got these on my computer. she was an easy 20 feet up, maybe 25. it was a pretty lone tree in the middle of an opening. dead, old. bark is mostly gone. we had our fire right by it. she was banging away and then took off. never went in, but she probably hated us hanging around. very few people there. (off the beaten trail)

I was a computer geek for a while but couldn't handle the office so decided to go into forestry. got my diploma and am doing my degree now. can't wait to get back to work!

Thread Information