ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Something New From Almo...

I tried this one, many many years ago using a P&S and Canon Photostitch . Obviously if I had been successful then you would not be reading this now. Recently a friend of mine who Is a photography student in Sioux City has been showing me the wonderful panoramas he has been taking around his town, and this has really inspired me to try some myself.

Nothing special yet. Just a couple from around my neighborhood. I have some god spots in mind, but these were just my first tests. I used to stitch the images, and I am blown away at the seamless results.

:::Click thumbnails for larger image:::

Last edited by almo; 02-14-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Something New From Almo...

Hey John,

These look pretty good. Don't forget that panos can go the other way too. I have a 30" tall by 17" wide pano that I made hanging at my desk at work.

Panos are a lot of fun! The first one I did, I used PS5 and built the entire image manually. I used 12 images, all hand held with exposures all over the place. It took me many hours over several days. Only after I was done, did I realize that the software that came with my camera had a stitching program.:mad2:

I did try the Panorama Factory software a while back and it worked pretty good. I didn't think I would use it enough to justify the cost, so I never bought it. Now I use the stitching feature in Photoshop when I want to play around with panos.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Great shots. :thumbsup:
    How many pictures did you combine?
    I am happy to announce that I just purchased a tripod and am looking forward to taking some panos and landscapes.

James

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Great shots. :thumbsup:
    How many pictures did you combine?
    I am happy to announce that I just purchased a tripod and am looking forward to taking some panos and landscapes.

James
    I combined three frames each. I will do some with more frames as I get more into it.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I have used this software before Almo, good choice and great work. The key is setting up the camera, but from the looks of it you already know that.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I have used this software before Almo, good choice and great work. The key is setting up the camera, but from the looks of it you already know that.
    It seemed a rather common sense issue to me. I just set the lens to manual, and focused to infinity. I metered for the sky and used AEL to lock in the exposure. Had the the camera set on my tripod, and spent a good ammount of time leveling the frame. I shoot in RAW so WB was not an issue. When I converted the images I did all the adjustments in a batch, to maintian color and exposure fidelity between the frames.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    It seemed a rather common sense issue to me. I just set the lens to manual, and focused to infinity. I metered for the sky and used AEL to lock in the exposure. Had the the camera set on my tripod, and spent a good ammount of time leveling the frame. I shoot in RAW so WB was not an issue. When I converted the images I did all the adjustments in a batch, to maintian color and exposure fidelity between the frames.

You will find if you use the framelines in the viewfinder you can also do this without a tripod. The software is that good. Give it a go.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Just curious, did you shoot these as horizontals or verticles? When I'm shooting pics to make a horizontal pano, I take all my photos as verticles. You end up with more photos, but a much larger file to work with in the end. Depending on your computer system that could be a good thing, or a bad thing. It also gives you a little more room ot crop once you're done. When shooting a verticle pano, I do the opposite, and take horizontal photos.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Nice Panorama's but you need some clouds in the sky. The panoramas are not large enough to see any good detail.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information