ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Going to the Smokies in a week! :0)

My mother and I are going to go camping at Smoky Mountains National Park for a week. We're bringing our four cameras, 6 lenses, our close up lense filters, lots of film, my tripod (not the best, but decent... I want to try for some waterfall shots on a long shutter speed), and my cable release that I've yet to use. Oh, yeah, and probably a tent and some sleeping bags and maybe some food if it'll fit in the car with all the film :þ

LOL, okay, seriously, I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever been there and could give us some pointers of some good areas to hike? My mom was there once 20 years ago, and I've never been, so I'd love some first hand input from anyone who's been to the park.

When you get there, go to the Sugarlands Visitor's Center just outside of Gatlinburg. They have a Ranger station inside and can give you tips/maps for hiking trails for whatever your particulat interest is. A must is to visit Cades Cove. One of the most beautiful places on Earth.

I was there several years ago - but almost just passing through. You could stay busy for days on the main road (state highway?) that goes through the park. There's a river that follows that road, and a lot of rapids and falls nearby. Plenty of places to park too. The late great John Netherton wrote a book about photographing the area, you might want to look for it. I didn't make it to Cades Cove but I think I must be the only one who hasn't. Bring lots of film, Velvia is great here! If you have a polarizer filter, it might come in handy too for waterfalls.

Also, near Townsend TN, there's a little trout farm with a restaurant. We ordered dinner, the waitress walked in the kitchen and a minute later someone walked outside with a net. He scooped up two trout, and a few minutes later we were eating. Doesn't get much fresher than that - but almost seemed like a Monty Python thing... Maybe you had to be there...

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    I live in Knoxville and work in Sevierville which is known as the gateway to the Smoky Mtns National Park - I've grown up here and been playing in those mountains my entire life.

If you want some rustic shots, do the loop at Cades Cove. Cades Cove is like a 10-mile loop in the mountains of a community left undisturbed after the government took over the park. There are log cabins, farm houses, cemeteries, and a couple of old churches. If you get the right light, pictures are gorgeous.

Look Rock - originally built as a fire tower, it's now a long winding tourist area owned by the national park. At the top, you can see for miles and miles.

The Chimneys and The Sinks are awesome places and if you want good waterfall on a short hike, go to Abraham Falls. One of the most amazing scenes I've ever seen (though I'm not a Bible Thumper) was a group of people in stark white robes being baptised in a pool at the bottom of Abrahams Falls. It was surreal.

If you want pictures of people tubing and playing in the creek kind of shots, go to Townsend (the other side of the entrance to Gatlinburg). They're people there all the time and some beautiful shots.

Now, if you've had ALL the nature you can stomach and want to do some people watching, drive down into Pigeon Forge. It's a tourist trap and you'll see some of the most interesting people you've ever seen in your life.

My wife wanted me to add this: DON'T PLAY WITH THE BEARS. SURE THEY'RE CUTE AND LOOK CUDLY, BUT THEY WILL KILL YOU.

I'll try to gather some other info for you and send it via PM.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Andy Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    My mother and I are going to go camping at Smoky Mountains National Park for a week. We're bringing our four cameras, 6 lenses, our close up lense filters, lots of film, my tripod (not the best, but decent... I want to try for some waterfall shots on a long shutter speed), and my cable release that I've yet to use. Oh, yeah, and probably a tent and some sleeping bags and maybe some food if it'll fit in the car with all the film :þ

LOL, okay, seriously, I wanted to ask if anyone here has ever been there and could give us some pointers of some good areas to hike? My mom was there once 20 years ago, and I've never been, so I'd love some first hand input from anyone who's been to the park.
    I haven't been to the park, but I've been to the western NC area. I think the Blue Ridge Parkway is a must for anyone travelling in the area. It's definately not a rapid transit solution with it's 45 mph speed limit, but it offers some terrific vistas.
    http://www.nps.gov/blri/gallery.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/blri/

Thank you everyone!

I'd like to thank everyone for there tips (I'm printing them!). We're really excited-- though I'm still not certain how the heck everything spread across the living room floor is going to fit into the car . It looks like a hurricane swept through and strew camping gear all over the place...

ACArmstrong, thanks a ton for the links! And let your wife know she needn't worry about us trying to pet the bears. I have absolutely no wish to see a bear up close-- in fact, since we're camping, I'd be happy not to see a bear at all! When we went to Yellowstone last year we stayed in a cabin since we were freaked out about camping in bear country.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Max Patch

On the northeast side of the park (NC) is an extremely beautiful area called Max Patch. Most detailed maps will show you where it is. The Appalachian Trail crosses over the peak. The short walk to the top is bordered by thousands of wild blackberries, a great snack for your efforts!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Listen to Michael, Cara - growing up, I went to a Church that owned a retreat in the Pisgah National Forest (part of the Smokies) - it's just on the NC border - from the retreat (old chalet type house) it was a five minute walk to the base of Max Patch (a bald). I've hiked to the top of Max Patch in the summer, winter, and spring, more times than I can remember.

In the winter, the trees and tall grass gather a thick, thick frost - the whole thing looks surreal. If you're there in the summer, go early, early in the morning to watch the fog rise off of the bald.

Thanks for reminding of Max Patch, Michael - I can't wait til my daughter's a little bigger so we can hike to the top of it.
    Andy Armstrong

Max Patch Pics -

Photo by Kevin Adams

Go here for a photo gallery of the smokies - it mentions many of the places I've spoken of. Kevin Adams Gallery

Max Patch Info
    Last edited by ACArmstrong; 06-14-2004 at 03:03 AM.
    Andy Armstrong

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Nice Photo

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong

Go here for a photo gallery of the smokies - it mentions many of the places I've spoken of.
    Nice photo! Too bad all my film was lost in the last move. I had some really beautiful 6x7 transparancies of the area. I really have to get back to WNC.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information