ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Some Old Photos

Some Old Photos

This weekend my Mum’s side of the family are getting together for the 50th anniversary of their arrival in Australia from England. For a bit of fun I’m trying to put together a collage of photos to commemorate the occasion. It been fascinating look through photos that are more than 75 years old. Since you don’t often get to look at old photos like these (well I don’t anyway) I though some of you might be interested in seeing some of them.

The first photo I’ve put here is my grandmother (who was born in 1907) as a baby. That makes the photo roughly 95 years old.

Next we have a couple of photos of Arundel Castle, where my great grandfather was gamekeeper. Lastly I’ve included a photo of Brighton Pier. Those poor pommies. Not only do they not get a decent summer but when they go to the beach there’s no sand!

These last three photos are from an album of photos which seem to have been taken around 1927/28. You’ve gotta love the fashion back in the 20’s.

If anyone is interested I can post a few more photos.

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Old Photos-nanna-baby.jpg   Some Old Photos-arundel-castle-2.jpg   Some Old Photos-arundel-castle-1.jpg   Some Old Photos-brighton-pier.jpg  

I love these old shots, they have something nostalgic.
    My dad kept a lot of those old photographs and that has mostly to do with the fact that he came from a family with quite a long rich history; shoe and leather factory for over 220 years. It must be that this is what developed my interest for photography.
    It's quite interesting to see how people lived, how they dressed, how my town has changed and how less hectic life was. The stories behind it make it even more interesting. Colorizing was also done in those days, all by hand, no digital software. Amazing how well most of these photographs survived, some close to 100 years.

Thanks for sharing these shots with us, I loved looking at them and maybe some of us will appreciate the latest technology a lot more. I hardly doubt it though!

Thread Information