ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Lightware Rain Cover

If like me you need to use your camera in rain/snow and are sick of dealing with easily ripped garbage bags and tape, then you might find this interesting. I ordered this late last week and it came in on Monday. I wanted an Aquatech, but it came down to paying $200 for the Aquatech and getting something that is limited to one or two lens combinations or spending $30 on the Lightware and getting something that will fit anything from my 70-200 to a 600. You know, for when I get one...in the distant, distant future.

First thing that cought me off guard is how big the thing is.

It's really big. I guess it has to be if they advertise it to fit a 600mm.

The front of it cinches using a bungie. Looks like the bungie is real easy to replace if it comes down to that. It also has a reflective strip around the entire front perimeter for visibility. When you're you know, taking pictures, while biking, on a rainy evening.

It also has velcro running the entire length of the cover. It can be totally opened up from end to end making it pretty easy to attach.

Roughly in the middle is a loop that goes around the lens mount to keep the cover securely attached to your setup.

Her it is actually attached.

Here is what it looks like on a tripod. I will be using it on a monopod, but for illustration purposes a tripod was used. The velcro allows for plenty of adjustment, you can easily open it up enough to get your hand up there or have it real snug around the pod.

And here's what you see inside. There is enough material hanging off the back to cover the back and sides of my head.

Overall, very well made and definitely useful.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Re: Lightware Rain Cover

Forgot to mention, rotating to vertical works well, you just have to be careful about where exposed holed twist into place if you do. I just hold onto the front and let the lens spin inside the cover.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Looks like something I could be real interested in. Did I miss the link to were it can be purchased? Thanks for this post I think a lot of use have been using garbage bags or in my case I keep a plastic grocery sack in my camera bag.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

OT,

No, I never gave a link. I got mine form B&H for $32. The factory name for it is RC100, do a search for it on the B&H site or wherever you like to shop. I have been reading about it for a while. I guess it can soak through after a LONG rain, so I will get some of the spray-on water sealer and give it a couple coats before the rain gets here just to be really anal about it.
    -Seb

My website

Looks like a good alternative to the Aquatech. I've got one that I bought from someone (a guy made them, not a company) on ebay years ago and I don't think he's making them anymore. It's pretty similar but this one has more features to it. Works well and folds up small enough to always have it in the camera bag.

Make no mistake the Aquatechs are great, but right now I'm very mindful of the cost versus potential for income. And rain gear does not have the potential to make me lots of money, therefore I go cheap but still decent. I don't want to make it seem like Aquatechs aren't worth it, they are a really good product. I'm just not ready for them yet.

And yes, probably the best thing about this is that it folds up nice and small and there's no reason to ever take it out of the bag.
    -Seb

My website

Ghost

Very cool usage overview and photos Seb! I've never seen or used anything like this before and this gives me a good understanding now.

Just one question; Is there enough room in there for your afro?

-Seb

My website

This is great!!! I work on a river as a white water photographer. I get rained on almost every day. I missed a boat today because the trash bag I was using was to thick to see through. But what I want to know is,,, can you use this rain cover with out the tripod. I am sure you could, but is it a pain touse with out a tripod? Looks like a bunch of fabric. i only shoot with a d70 with a 80-200mm 2.8. Is this to much rain cover for my gear?

Thanks Church

There's no reason why you couldn't use it without the tripod. It might be cumbersome, but you can adjust it pretty much any way you want, so making it work shouldn't be too difficult. If you get splashed pretty hard though then you might consider the wrap-around protection of something like the Aquatech, or even an Ewa Marine.
    -Seb

My website

I shoot from the bank. I never get wet from river water, just the rain,, the ever present rain,,,

Gotcha. Should work for you then. I actually haven't tested mine in the rain yet since as I predicted, as soon as I bought this thing the weather got nice and sunny.
    -Seb

My website

Thread Information