ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

simple flash example

ok.. I truely hate the recycle time of my 550ex, but it makes for a great example of with and without fill flash

one with fill at -.3 ev, one without.. 1 second apart .. these are crops BTW

I know I needed -.7ev or -1 ev AND they are a bit soft, but .........
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

another

here's one with fill at -.3ev flash and +.3ev camera(needed at meter camera and -.7 flash for perfect exposure though) SS was 1/1250th flash was in FP

cropped to verticle from a horizontal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simple flash example-d3516re-crop-2-ver.jpg  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Love the one in your second post - it's gorgeous! You know, that would make a great photo card! I can see the caption... "Keep close to nature's heart" John Muir ;-)

Check out http://PhotographerEdge.com for photo greeting cards to use!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

I don't use a BB unless i'm tripod mounted.

have you ever tried to walk around with one on your flash...... fresnel gets ripped off 10 times a day
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

oops . you forgot the S in photographerSedge

thanks for the great link, wonderful comments and....... THAT QUOTE is GREAT
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    oops . you forgot the S in photographerSedge

thanks for the great link, wonderful comments and....... THAT QUOTE is GREAT
    OOPS! lol Just go there and request the catalog. Another great resource to use in conjunction with that company is http://epixel.com to order prints from your digital files! I use them a lot too!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Nice red-eyed vireo! It's pretty clear that you wouldn't have gotten the eye color without the flash.

yeah those red eyed vireos are pretty cool birds ;)

but that guy had the nerve to jump infront of me while shooting an ALDER FLYCATCHER on territory.

I was on the beach chasing late migrant birds(mostly females of NORTHERN species)

I must gloat a bit.....I FOUND MY FIRST CAPEMAY WARBLER EVER but it was a female

I have heard 3 mourning warblers this spring.... still haven't seen one EVER though

I think the ones going through went.... time to get nesting birds ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Lightbulb Superb Examples

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    ok.. I truely hate the recycle time of my 550ex, but it makes for a great example of with and without fill flash

one with fill at -.3 ev, one without.. 1 second apart .. these are crops BTW

I know I needed -.7ev or -1 ev AND they are a bit soft, but .........

Of too much flash, and flash being needed.

What range were you from the bird?

When you start cranking in - EV, you need to carefully judge how much is needed or you risk underexposing. BTDT!!! :-(

Great examples my friend! Thanks for sharing them.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

What lense are you using to do these? And also, how much of a crop is this off of the full image?

And, well... what are your techniques for getting so close? I really want to get good bird shots, but haven't been able to get anywhere near as close as I need to be.
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

here's the full image

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    What lense are you using to do these? And also, how much of a crop is this off of the full image?

And, well... what are your techniques for getting so close? I really want to get good bird shots, but haven't been able to get anywhere near as close as I need to be.
    GEAR 1D/100400IS

about 12ft I'd say

and getting close to nature takes time, patience, knowing your subjects habits and...... a bit of luck too at times

some cheat and use recorded calls/songs, some use screech owl tapes, some are skilled enough to get them in with just their own vocal cords( like me) and most great images are being at the right place at the right time.

KNOW YOUR SUBJECT!!

find nesting pairs, find suitable habitat, find migration traps, watch weather paterns...

taking images of wildlife is part photography and part science if you ask me ;)

this is a FAST 20 second resize from the original JPEG so you can see 520mm at 12-14 feet. though I do need to back up at times because the bird is closer than 6 feet
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information