ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    It's hurricane season... again...

Angry Well, here we go again...

I know I haven't been on much lately, but we've been very busy recovering from Hurricane Frances, trying to return to normal, and now we're facing another big blow. This time, we're not leaving, (so I can take pics for you, Paul! ;) ) but we're all boarded up and the generator is ready. So please keep Florida in your thoughts and prayers- we really need them!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Batten Down The Hatches

Quote Originally Posted by kkraczek
    I know I haven't been on much lately, but we've been very busy recovering from Hurricane Frances, trying to return to normal, and now we're facing another big blow. This time, we're not leaving, (so I can take pics for you, Paul! ;) ) but we're all boarded up and the generator is ready. So please keep Florida in your thoughts and prayers- we really need them!

Kristin,

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. The good news, Jeanne is only a catagory 1.

Stay safe, and keep us updated!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

You and everyone in Florida will be in my thoughts and prayers Kristin. This hurricane season has got to make the history books!

Be safe!
    Lara

In Jax

Looks like we will be getting some of that up here too. We had some mild damage from charley. It will be interesting to see if we get it worse this time.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Speed, the only thing that worries me is the warm waters between here and the Bahamas. The latest forecast has Jeanne almost directly over us (our coordinates are 27.1N 80.1W) on Sunday, with winds in the category 3-4 range:

FORECAST VALID 26/0600Z 27.4N 80.2W
    MAX WIND 100 KT...GUSTS 120 KT.

Anyway, I'm trying not to panic... time to go get some Calgon... hehehehe
    Last edited by kkraczek; 09-24-2004 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Put wrong coordinates... oops!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Kristin -
    You and all the other Floridians, and families of Floridians ;) are in our thoughts.
    Take good care!

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Liz

Thinking of you.......

Hi Kristen,

Be assured you will be in my thoughts and prayers. My sister lives in Florida too - Port Richey. They've been missed by the hurricans so far.

Please keep us updated Kristen - we're thinking of you.

Liz

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Speed, the only thing that worries me is the warm waters between here and the Bahamas. The latest forecast has Jeanne almost directly over us (our coordinates are 27.5N 80.3W) on Sunday, with winds in the category 3-4 range:

FORECAST VALID 26/0600Z 27.4N 80.2W
    MAX WIND 100 KT...GUSTS 120 KT.

Anyway, I'm trying not to panic... time to go get some Calgon... hehehehe

With relatives on opposite sides of the state (one near you IIRC) we've heard a lot about what's been going on down there this season. Hey, let's be careful out there...

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    that's right.... get me STORM PICS ;)

When I was younger I went through a cat 3/4 in houston...... I stayed on the balcony for hours in THOSE WINDS WATCHING trees rock, WATER get 4 feet deep in the parking lot(from boyou over flow)..... AMAZING!!!!!!!

mind you up north you get snow days off from school... Houston you get RAIN DAYS

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/huri...ry/walicia.htm
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Sorry Paul, changed our minds... we're getting the h*!& out of here and going to Tampa. This storm is getting too strong to risk my kids' lives... Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers!

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    that's right.... get me STORM PICS ;)

When I was younger I went through a cat 3/4 in houston...... I stayed on the balcony for hours in THOSE WINDS WATCHING trees rock, WATER get 4 feet deep in the parking lot(from boyou over flow)..... AMAZING!!!!!!!

mind you up north you get snow days off from school... Houston you get RAIN DAYS

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/huri...ry/walicia.htm
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    Is it just me, or do we Floridians have a great big bulls eye painted on our backs. Another weekend of hunkering and bunkering. I'm getting to know the BJ's clerks a little too well. We are just north of Homestead and Florida City, so it looks like we'll be getting Tropical force winds, maybe Cat 1. The storm is up to a Cat 2 with the chance of getting stronger.

Be safe everyone,
    MJS.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Is it just me, or do we Floridians have a great big bulls eye painted on our backs. Another weekend of hunkering and bunkering. I'm getting to know the BJ's clerks a little too well. We are just north of Homestead and Florida City, so it looks like we'll be getting Tropical force winds, maybe Cat 1. The storm is up to a Cat 2 with the chance of getting stronger.

Be safe everyone,
    MJS.
    From CNN: The leading edge of Hurricane Jeanne's eyewall has made landfall near Stuart, Florida.

Yep, a big bullseye and signs that say "kick me"! The eyewall is passing over my house right now... I'm just glad that I'm watching it from the other coast!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator
    Hope your place is still in one piece. No problems for us since we are in deep South Miami Dade. Parents, in laws and sister and tribe all did well in Cape Coral. We didn't even get an inch of water in the pool this time.

It just don't pay to mess with mother nature.

Michael

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Oops, it missed us again...

Well, if we were a cat, we'd have used up about half our lives by now...

Jeanne did nothing here north of O-town but blow and rain a bit. Hard stuff, but nothing catastrophic...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Hope your place is still in one piece. No problems for us since we are in deep South Miami Dade. Parents, in laws and sister and tribe all did well in Cape Coral. We didn't even get an inch of water in the pool this time.

It just don't pay to mess with mother nature.

Michael
    Thanks Michael, we'll be heading home tomorrow to assess- but we have a friend who stayed in the house during the hurricane, and he said it's still standing! He also said that the winds were pretty scary, and that the closet doors in our "safe" room were shaking! I'm glad I wasn't there, but I can't wait to get home.... again. *sigh* Thanks for checking, and I'm glad that you and yours are safe as well!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Thread Information