ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question My intro and a question

Hi. I am fairly new in digital photography and have a question or two. My dilema is manual focus in low light conditions. How do I do it since there are nonumbers on the focus ring and no indication in the viewfinder ???

Thanks... Big-d

Re: My intro and a question

What kind of camera? On my canon 350d if you are manualy focusing and holding down the focus button the focus light should lite up in viewfinder.
    I bet getting picts of the lighting cerimony in Leavenworth is a challenge.
    JB

Smile Re: My intro and a question

Thanks Jimmy,
    I have had lots of trouble trying to get going on this forum thing and do not have it figgured out yet. I got your reply in an e-mail and hope this leads me back into it. I had given up on it because I couldnt find my way with it.
    My camera is an Olympus E-Volt 500 and will try to make what you said, work.
    You also guessed it, the lights of leavenworth are truly beautiful but we live in the mts and have right now 30 inches of snow in the yard. Half of that is new and on top of the snowmobiles. We have many oportunities for moonlit night snow pictures.
    Big-d

Re: My intro and a question

Hi and welcome. If you're shooting anything that's 20' or more away, try setting the focus on infinity. That should at least be very close. There is another technique called hyperfocal focusing that can be used, but generally you will use a smaller aperture ("f" number like f8) and you probably don't want to do that in cases like this because of the resulting long shutter speed. A good tripod will be a necessity.

What kind of problems have you been having with the site? Let us know and we should be able to help.

Thread Information