ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Slave driving :-)

Hi folks... Thought I would share these...A little into my personal life... I was going to e mail them to my wife as proof that Daniel is working...( as opposed to playing video games all day long) Since the age of 4, I have had him here at work with me ''working'' ..( he is 8 now, soon to be 9) Sweeping floors, bagging merchandise, running errands in house between the machine shop and offices and so forth. I have taught him what every part of an engine is and what it does and he has a pretty good understanding of it now...He can name all the major parts of an engine... Last year I taught him how to run the dyno and how things work. I will see what he will learn this year...So basically he is with me most of the time after school and all summer... .I have always taught him that if he wants to eat, he needs to work. :-) ....In other words, I am preparing a husband and I pray that someone is preparing a daughter for him... (My wife and I have done the same for my daughters, but they spend more time with her)...Anyway, I do pay him and have him tithe 10% to our church, put 20% in savings and do what he wants with in reason with the rest...Usually video games or nerf guns...Here he is work today...

and yes of course.....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Re: Slave driving :-)

Javier, good looking son you have there, sounds like you are teaching some good LIFE lessons.
    Your Dyno area looks like it has more room than ours at work.
    I will be down in your area on the 4th at Irwindale Speedway.
    Jimmy B

Wonderful pictures,great way to raise a child..I salute you,Sir !!!:thumbsup:

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Does he get to play with other kids?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Hey folks, thanks for the comments.

Jimmy, I have made the mistake of having a small dyno room before. Being that this is our 4th engine dyno, we have learned from mistakes.

Susaan, Thanks for the kind words.

Frog, Of course he does. Not only does he play Soccer, Baseball and this year football, he has his cousins, neighbors, skate board buddies as well as BMX friends. He is extremely active...In fact if the doctors had their way they would have had him on riddling or other ADD drugs. Instead we chose to channel his energy in positive ways...Of course this means being involved which I enjoy...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Javier,

Some of the best times I remember was learning about repairing cars with my father, and how things worked.

I started with Meccano and Airfix plastic model building with my Dad.

You are doing a terrific job and I bet when he gets to 50 (my age) he will look back fondly on this time with you. I know I do.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Roger,
    thanks for the encouraging words. I too started young with my dad. I still remember back to when I was a puppy around my sons age. How I enjoyed my time with my dad and still do. I love my conversations with him and am very blessed to still have him around. In fact we are going to a soccer game (football in the UK) in the next couple of weeks. It will simply just be three generations of us. Like my son told my mom.. ''Sorry grandma, but no girls allowed''
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Thanks for sharing. Well done, both with the photos and the great job you seem to be doing raising the boy.
    Bravo.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Liz

Javier,

I enjoyed reading about your son - and seeing the photos. He looks very focused. I think what you're doing is wonderful. And it looks like it's working. He has a good life! I think most importantly is the time that you take with him personally, and setting up all of these opportunities. He will always remember all you're doing for him. His time with you both "working" on things and playing - and sharing is most important. It sounds like he has a healthy balance in his life - relationships, fun, activities, discipline - and all this adds up to knowing he is loved and cared for. You're a good father, Javier. Happy "belated" Father's Day.

Thanks for sharing about your son.....he is a very nice looking young boy. :thumbsup:

Liz

Thank you Liz.
    Thank you Gary... I appreciate the comments and kind words.

My wife made the remark to me a while back to the affect of. ''What if Daniel wants to be a chef?'' I said to her, ''then so be it, lets help him be the best chef he can be''... I do not know if my son will do this for a living but what ever he decides, I will encourage him in. Right now, my oldest daughter is more interested in all the race stuff and engines and so forth, so go figure....

Here are some more from today and yesterday. He is sorting out a box of Jets that I dropped and my soon to be son in law teaching him how to use the glass beader to clean parts...

-

-
    Parts that he cleaned........

-

-
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    By jgredline
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

One of the cool things about a family owned business is being able to do these kinds of things. His cousin (my nephew) ''ian'' will be out of school next week and just like last summer, I will have him also...I will add him to my stable of slaves.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Wow, first of all, you have a beautiful kid there, and willing to pay attention long enough to actually complete a task!? Man, that is a small miracle unto itself.

I think it is wonderful that you are teaching him to be a good man. It is all to often that young boys are left to their playstations and whatever else they might get into on their own. I am glad to see a dad that has a plan for his son.

Great pics Javier!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Almo, Thanks for the kind words.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Hi Folks.
    Well yesterday was payday.
    He was left with four bucks after all the deductions which included a set of cool binoculars that are water proof.

εὐχαριστέω σύ

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You keep working him and I'm certain he'll be a fine man, a fine husband and a fine citizen.
    All of which we can use more of.
    :thumbsup: to you!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by jgredline
    Hi Folks.
    Well yesterday was payday.
    He was left with four bucks after all the deductions which included a set of cool binoculars that are water proof.
    Waterproof 'nocs? For the kid who has everything?
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Your a good Dad. I wish the world had more like you in it. Do you build race engines?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Now making them use the glass beader is Slave Driving!!
    Helping my Father in the garage was how I learned what the parts and tools were. My Dad was into corvairs and we had 4 of them when I was young.
    I like your sping checker in the back round on the bench!
    Jimmy B

Thread Information