• 03-22-2004, 02:38 PM
    racingpinarello
    Sebastien started it!! - I'm switching to Canon
    Well, I have been on the fence for a long time. With a previous co-worker bringing in his Canon 1D and the quality being very good, seeing Photo-John do his magic, and now Sebastien breaking rank from Nikon, it was brewing.

I've made the decision to switch over to Canon on the 35mm digital front. I'm undecided about the fate of my very lovely F100 and set of lenses, but with my Mamiya 7 I don't shoot as much 35mm film as before.

With 8mp, super fast speed, and Canon quality at all ISO's. I couldn't wait anymore. I'm not sure how I'm going to finance it (sell something, or donate blood) but I wish it was released when I bought the Kodak Digital back. This is winning camera with speed, resolution, file size, and quality.

I just got an email from somebody who just sold his Nikon equipment and ordered the Canon MkII. I'm not alone.

Loren
  • 03-22-2004, 02:41 PM
    Sebastian
    You're welcome...
    The transition was very hard for me, but overall I have been NOTHING but satisfied... :D

The Mark II is the ideal digital, in quality, resolution, and sensor size. Everything I ever heard anyone bitch about... :D

BTW, people are starting to have problems with the rubber peeling off of their D2Hs...you think they would have gotten it right by now.

Enjoy it, and welcome to the club of Canon n00bs...
  • 03-22-2004, 02:46 PM
    another view
    Much as I hate to say it - Seb's 10D with the 70-200 is pretty impressive! I've heard about the rubber coming loose on others - like the F5 and F100, probably same thing although I've never had a problem with it. I'm hoping that the D2X (whenever/however) will be along the lines of the new Mark II, although it would be awhile before I'd buy something like that anyway. Check out Rob Galbraith's Canon forum, there's alot of people doing it.
  • 03-22-2004, 03:46 PM
    dsl712
    Love the Mark II
    Loren,

Had the chance to spend a day with a preproduction Mark II. Everything I didn't like about Canon is addressed with this new camera. Flash, LCD screen, Frames per second, file viewer, etc. I have nothing I can reasonable think of that I would change on the Mark II.

Man, I need to sell my house to buy all the gear I want. Hell, if I had the Mamiya 7 I would dump that for the Mark II. Would rather have the Mark II than the 1Ds.

Dennis
  • 03-22-2004, 04:01 PM
    mtbbrian
    Way To go SEB!!!!!
    I am at a loss for words....
    All I can say is...
    THANKS SEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D :rolleyes: :eek: ;)
    Enjoy Loren.
    What lens do you have?
    Brian
    Devoted Nikon photographer for 14 years and counting...
  • 03-22-2004, 04:15 PM
    Charles Hess
    Congrats, Loren ... I'm sure you'll be producing some great images no matter what camera you use. Me, I know that I'll never switch, not because of brand loyalty, but by not being convinced that one is really that much better than the other.
  • 03-22-2004, 05:40 PM
    Liz
    2 BIG decisions in just a few days! WOW......
    Congratulations! Now this is really exciting news! WOW! I'm pleasantly surprised.

You will be really happy with this decision, and I can't wait to see the results......and your comments after you use it the first few times. :)

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Well, I have been on the fence for a long time. With a previous co-worker bringing in his Canon 1D and the quality being very good, seeing Photo-John do his magic, and now Sebastien breaking rank from Nikon, it was brewing.

I've made the decision to switch over to Canon on the 35mm digital front. I'm undecided about the fate of my very lovely F100 and set of lenses, but with my Mamiya 7 I don't shoot as much 35mm film as before.

With 8mp, super fast speed, and Canon quality at all ISO's. I couldn't wait anymore. I'm not sure how I'm going to finance it (sell something, or donate blood) but I wish it was released when I bought the Kodak Digital back. This is winning camera with speed, resolution, file size, and quality.

I just got an email from somebody who just sold his Nikon equipment and ordered the Canon MkII. I'm not alone.

Loren

• 03-22-2004, 05:51 PM
    Photo-John
    Whoah!
    All these future Mark II owners are going to make me feel so far behind the times. How. Oh howam I going to live with my pitiful EOS 1D?

:p
  • 03-22-2004, 07:28 PM
    I_Fly
    Welcome to the "light" side Loren...
    It's got to be a tough decision to change brands. Once you've made the conversion, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Canon gear. I have nothing to say but good things about my 1D.

I'll be watching with much interest as you switch over and what you think of the mkII. I'm sure it won't be long at all and you'll be producing some outstanding images. I'm looking forward to seeing some here.
  • 03-22-2004, 09:54 PM
    racingpinarello
    Thanks Everybody....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Fly
    It's got to be a tough decision to change brands. Once you've made the conversion, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Canon gear. I have nothing to say but good things about my 1D.

I'll be watching with much interest as you switch over and what you think of the mkII. I'm sure it won't be long at all and you'll be producing some outstanding images. I'm looking forward to seeing some here.

The toughest decision was to go away from the Kodak digital back. Heavily impressed with the software, and the digital outut that I have gotten from it. My reliance on Nikon has been fading since I shoot primarily with Medium format but I did have high hopes for the D2H, and the D70 is having color shift problems. Also, I will say that I will not miss the price tag associated with Medium format glass. geeez... a bargain lens is a $1000.

Charles is right though, it's not the camera that makes the images. His tools (D100 / Leica) are perfect. The only reason I choose the Canon mk2 was the fact that I can use it for many different purposes, and have good resolution behind it. With the Canon I just want to take more pictures, and keep my photographic eye developing.

I'm excited, but sad to leave the digital back. The good news is that the digital back will pay for the Mark2, and maybe the 16-35 and the 70-200. Thanks for the comments everybody and I have to start taking more pictures. I have been slacking off too much.

Loren