ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Riva Del Garda Hike

Jenni and I did a really big hike yesterday. It was one of the sweatiest hikes I've ever done - it's a lot more humid here than we're used to. We hiked from the town of Riva del Garda, in the mountains north of Verona, to a small chapel way up in the cliffs called Santa Barbara.

It's hard to put this hike in perspective but hopefully these photos give some idea. This photo was taken with a long zoom when we'd already hiked part way up. I will try to take one from town later but you might not even be able to see the building. The only way to get there is hiking. From the town you see this little white spot up on the cliffs and then realize it's a building. You don't see stuff like this in North America
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riva Del Garda Hike-p7141128.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Garda Terrain

Here are a couple of photos taken during our hike and one taken at a little restaurant at the beginning (feet photo). These should give you an idea of what the terrain was like. It's a tough trail. I think it took us a couple of hours and one prosciutto, cheese, bread and chocolate break to make it to the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riva Del Garda Hike-p7141099.jpg   Riva Del Garda Hike-p7141156.jpg   Riva Del Garda Hike-p7141161.jpg  
    Photo-John

Santa Barbara

Here's the payoff. I'm really glad we did it. I came here just to mountain bike a few years ago. I remember the first time I saw the chapel and I couldn't believe it. From below it doesn't even seem possible that there's a trail to it. And the views are fantastic.

The trail actually continues on, with metal rails, stairs and ropes. We saw some people coming down with helmets and harnesses - not for me. No thanks. Supposedly there's also a whole bunch of WWI and II relics up high. This area was much fought over in both world wars and the US Army 10th Mountain Division fought their final major battle with the Germans here in WWII.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riva Del Garda Hike-p7141223.jpg   Riva Del Garda Hike-p7141228-copy.jpg  
    Photo-John

Re: Riva Del Garda Hike

it's a lot more humid here than we're used to
    If you are USED to Utah, then ANY humidity is more than you're used to! lol!

That looks like a fun hike. Feed many insects on the hike?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

looks amazing.

i know exactly what you mean by hard to put it in perspective. I don't think i've ever taken a photo that really shows the awe i felt at a particular place i've travelled to. i think it's impossible. especially if it's a grand view kind of place where when you're there, you're just in awe. i see what it could've been like walking that hike up there, but i'll know truely get it until i actually go there.

having said that, excellent photos. the bunch together show me a fraction of what it might have been like being there. i especiallly like the one with the guys sitting down and the amazing views below.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    If you are USED to Utah, then ANY humidity is more than you're used to!
    That is so true! I never realized there was any humidity in the Bay Area until I moved away. Now, wheneve I return to CA, I feel sweaty and sticky as soon as I get over the Sierras

Bugs - there were surprisingly few on the hike and what there were didn't bother us a bit. Thank you very much, Italian bugs!
    Photo-John

Thread Information