ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Troy and Speed, some flying contraptions for youz guyz...

-Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Talking That First Shot Is Awesome!

Amazing what you can do with the right gear! All you need is $12,000 of camera/lens and lots of practice!

They are all good shots, but that first one is truly awesome!

Thanks for sharing this with us Seb!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    12k? I'LL TAKE 20 SETUPS LIKE THAT for that price $17k and change dude!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Amazing what you can do with the right gear! All you need is $12,000 of camera/lens and lots of practice!

They are all good shots, but that first one is truly awesome!

Thanks for sharing this with us Seb!!!
    What are you talking about??!!

A Sigma 300 2.8 with a 2x TC and a film body would get you the same thing! Stop thinking that the gear makes the pics, if the guy didn't have talent you wouldn't say the first shot was awesome.

BTW, a Sigma 300 costs 2300, plus 400 for a decent film body and you come in at a quarter of your stated price.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

yup! and a 10D with a 300F4 and 1.4TCII will get YOU CLOSER at the RELATIVELY the same price ;)

I get shots BETTER than some 600f4 shooter do to SKILL, not gear ;)

mind you I started with a n60 w/ tokina 400f5.6 or a 170-500 sigma and got full frame SHARP images....I have 1000's of slides to prove it too ;)

DON'T EVER THINK GEAR MAKES THE IMAGE...... THE PERSON BEHIND THE RIG TRIPS THE SHUTTER
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Cool You Are Right...

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    What are you talking about??!!

A Sigma 300 2.8 with a 2x TC and a film body would get you the same thing! Stop thinking that the gear makes the pics, if the guy didn't have talent you wouldn't say the first shot was awesome.

BTW, a Sigma 300 costs 2300, plus 400 for a decent film body and you come in at a quarter of your stated price.

That it could be done for a LOT less. I thought I was giving a ballpark figure of what he had in his gear. Not that any of us suffer from big glass envy or anything! ;-)

"BTW, a Sigma 300 costs 2300, plus 400 for a decent film body"

Yeah, and that's still $2700 I don't have. :-O
    To say nothing of the teleconverter - and a quality teleconverter costs big bucks too.

I didn't mean to convey that expensive gear will get you shots like that. I know better.

It was an incredible photo whether he used $2700 of gear or $17,000 of gear. He definitely knew what he was doing, and he had the framing/exposure/timing down pat. The most expensive gear in the world may make your job easier, but it won't take the picture for you.
    Like you said, it takes talent to nail shots like that. And that guy has it!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Talking $17k and change dude!

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    12k? I'LL TAKE 20 SETUPS LIKE THAT for that price $17k and change dude!

Oh yeah, and we haven't even mentioned tripod, ballhead (I'm thinking Wimberly - $550), memory card (what do ya think Paul, a $6,000 - 8 Gig Lexar?), plus filters and any other little periphials he may have had laying around. My guess is he had about $20,000 on the tarmac.

As Seb said, regardless of the gear, this guy had talent to nail a shot like that. Of course, you or I could have done it. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

no dude $17k and change for his gitzo 1538 CF legs, wimberley, 1Ds, 600F4IS and 4- 1G lexars ;)

read the whole thread ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Wow...

Thanks Seb! I visit sportshooter about once a week and missed that post! He's got some great shots. I'm envious of his 600 F/4 but glad I don't have the same investment he does.

What's funny is I'm kind of ho-hum about the Blue Angels shot but got really excited to see some shots of Sean Tucker. He's the pilot of the red Oracle sponsored biplane. My wife and I have seen him perform several time and got to meet him at an airshow my Air Guard unit put on several years ago. That's the kind of flying I want to do someday! Which I might be able to afford to do if I could stop buying camera gear.

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Thread Information