ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Rangefinder Cameras

I'm considering getting a Rangefinder system to compliment my Pentax K1000, Nikon N80 (soon) and D60. I'd love to get something like a Leica M system or Contax G but those are both a bit expensive

I remember reading a thread on here about 8 months ago where a member asked about a travel camera, and someone pointed out a rangefinder whose brand started with a B, I googled it and it looked excellent, and now I can't seem to remember what it was. I don't think it was Bronica, and I'm 99% sure it is a German made camera, if anyone can figure this out it'd be great

Are there any other rangefinder systems you can recommend? They do not have to be made new.
    I am mainly here to learn, I'm pretty new at photography so please don't be afraid to say whatever you need to if you're critiquing my photos, and take my composition advice with an extra grain of salt

Re: Rangefinder Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdog
    I'm considering getting a Rangefinder system to compliment my Pentax K1000, Nikon N80 (soon) and D60. I'd love to get something like a Leica M system or Contax G but those are both a bit expensive

I remember reading a thread on here about 8 months ago where a member asked about a travel camera, and someone pointed out a rangefinder whose brand started with a B, I googled it and it looked excellent, and now I can't seem to remember what it was. I don't think it was Bronica, and I'm 99% sure it is a German made camera, if anyone can figure this out it'd be great

Are there any other rangefinder systems you can recommend? They do not have to be made new.
    The brand is Voigtlander, and the name of the camera line is Bessa. Voigtlander is actually owned by Cosina, the same Japanese company that makes lenses and cameras for Zeiss. I have a Bessa R2A and I love it. Google "Camera Quest" for the main US dealer. The website is unimpressive, but he has the best prices and good service.

The Bessas are the most affordable if you're buying new, but there are some other good options in the used market. The new models are R2, R3, R4, but there is a discontinued model that is just called Bessa R and it only takes screw mount lenses. That is probably the cheapest deal you can get, but you will be limited to a few new lenses from Voigtlander and a lot of older lenses. Most of the new lenses from Voigtlander and all of the new lenses from Zeiss and Leica are M-mount. You can also get a Leica M6 TTL for a little over $1K or a Konica Hexar for $6-800. Of course you can get older Leica's for even less but anything older than an M6 won't have an exposure meter built in. Check the classified ads on the RangefinderForum.com for good deals.

Get one. They're great!

Paul

Thread Information