ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question about buying film

Everyone knows that professional grade films (suck as Kodak Ultra or Portra) need to be refrigerated b/c they're sensitive to heat. My question is, when you buy from an online retailer (such as B&H Photo) how do they keep it from getting over heated in transit. I live in Arkansas and it gets pretty warm....i would imagine that it gets pretty warm in the ups truck as well. Anyone know anything?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    the term "sensitive to heat" is misleading.

PRO films in a nut shell .. HAVE A SHORT SHELF LIFE. while consumer grade film has a longer shelf life. the reason to refrigerate film is to stop/slow down the AGING PROCESS of the EMULTION LAYER. A 3 day trip across middle america is not going to ruin the film. Nor do I feel you NEED to refrigerate film if you plan to shoot it over a few week period. SURE keeping it cold will help, but do you need to?

I have rolls of provia that have been to florida/ arizona and up and down the east coast over a years time....... ALL FRAMES LOOKED the same as the film i bought and shot imediately in the winter ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Talking Bully!

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    the term "sensitive to heat" is misleading.

PRO films in a nut shell .. HAVE A SHORT SHELF LIFE. while consumer grade film has a longer shelf life. the reason to refrigerate film is to stop/slow down the AGING PROCESS of the EMULTION LAYER. A 3 day trip across middle america is not going to ruin the film. Nor do I feel you NEED to refrigerate film if you plan to shoot it over a few week period. SURE keeping it cold will help, but do you need to?

I have rolls of provia that have been to florida/ arizona and up and down the east coast over a years time....... ALL FRAMES LOOKED the same as the film i bought and shot imediately in the winter ;)

I have always found it interesting that the "experts" tell us we should only buy the best (read professional) film and that we should refrigerate our film to keep it from going bad and givng us these terrible color shifts, yada, yada, yada.

BUT, they fail to mention how the National Geographic photog's go to the Amazon, or Africa, or some other hot, humid, climate for three months with absolutely no refirgeration at all, and they shoot nothing but Pro Grade slide film, and yet their photo's are gorgeous.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder.

But then, I'm old and cynical.

:-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurner538
    Everyone knows that professional grade films (suck as Kodak Ultra or Portra) need to be refrigerated b/c they're sensitive to heat. My question is, when you buy from an online retailer (such as B&H Photo) how do they keep it from getting over heated in transit. I live in Arkansas and it gets pretty warm....i would imagine that it gets pretty warm in the ups truck as well. Anyone know anything?
    I always carry a few rolls in my bag just in case- if I'm going out on a shoot I'll pull a few out of the fridge. But those rolls that live in the bag for backup always turn out just fine. I store the stuff in the fridge 'cause if I'm going to have it laying around for a while (I should admit I don't get out to shoot as often as I would like!), I might as well store it properly. Besides, I'd rather it was in the fridge than banging around in a drawer or something. However I've never had odd color shifts other than what the inherent nature of the film is, like Provia's icky blue in the shade! ;)
    I wouldn't worry about the shipping, either. If you're on a shoot in hot weather then the film isn't going to be cold in your bag or your camera. I've heard of people carrying small coolers with them on long photo trips, but you still have to take the film out in advance to let it warm up. And yeah, the nature photogs who go into hot climates don't get to have a fridge around- so I wouldn't worry. During shipping it will be in a box with packing material and the interior of the UPS truck is not in direct sun- if it's too hot for the film in there, then It's probably too hot for the driver as well!
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

as for the "fuji blues" I once heard rumor of a filter in the 81 series that solved that
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I Heard That Rumor Too!

as for the "fuji blues" I once heard rumor of a filter in the 81 series that solved that

Even Moose Peterson has heard that rumor!

I read that he ALWAYS uses an 81A on his lenses.

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

misanthrope
    Yeah, yeah, I know... ;)
    If it was up to me I'd have one- if you want to give/buy me one, I'd be forever grateful!
    I'm on an insanely tight budget and so far I've only been using the computer to assuage my Fuji Blues. Hmm... maybe I'll write a song about the Fuji Blues- I love blues, and I play the guiter, so there it is there!

I went on a photo shoot
    It was like a dream come true
    But when I got my slides back
    They were aww so terribly blue

I said hey Mr.Fuji
    Can't you just remove that hue
    I got those Fuji slide film
    Color correction filter blues...

Or should I stick to my day job?
    "We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

I bet if...........

you were to sell the rights to that little diddy, you could afford a 81B

I HEAR THE BUDGET!!!!

move up to Humble county and shoot for HIGH TIMES between that and your gee tar ... ..........

BAH HAHAHA
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

misanthrope
    I bet if...........

you were to sell the rights to that little diddy, you could afford a 81B

I HEAR THE BUDGET!!!!

move up to Humble county and shoot for HIGH TIMES between that and your gee tar ... ..........

BAH HAHAHA
    Not sure what you mean, Humble county....??? Or the HT reference. Humboldt County is the neighboring county to the south- and it's very famous for its local agriculture. HT has most definitely been there, done that... I don't have the proper macro setup to do that anyway... I'll stick to the day job... the guitar is only one of my many addictions--- photography is just the one that I'm most hooked on... the only drugs I like are caffeine and caffeine. And maybe some recreational caffeine...

IT WAS A JOKE....

I live on caffeine, but adrenaline is my drug of choice I toast weddings when I get crazy though

I knew the real spelling of the county

having been to said farm capital of cali(were a botanist friend now resides)... I can tell you it was the wildlife that attracted me, not the cash crop business .

PLEASE don't take offense to my off the wall sense of humor, as I NEVER mean any harm(well maybe once? )

KEEP up the song writing, guitar playing, camera toting and MOST OF ALL...... CAFFEINE GUZZLING
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

I'm on an insanely tight budget

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman
    Yeah, yeah, I know... ;)
    If it was up to me I'd have one- if you want to give/buy me one, I'd be forever grateful!
    I'm on an insanely tight budget and so far I've only been using the computer to assuage my Fuji Blues. Hmm... maybe I'll write a song about the Fuji Blues- I love blues, and I play the guiter, so there it is there!

I went on a photo shoot
    It was like a dream come true
    But when I got my slides back
    They were aww so terribly blue

I said hey Mr.Fuji
    Can't you just remove that hue
    I got those Fuji slide film
    Color correction filter blues...

Or should I stick to my day job?
    I can relate! I'm married, with children! I'd love to get a Moose Warming Polarizing Filter. All it takes is about $100. Sniff, sniff.

Hang in there and save your nickels and dimes. That's what I do.

Love the lyrics! :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

ROB.....................................

If you are going to do it........ do it to the max ;)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=217289&is=REG

BTW.... SHHHHHHHHHH I own 2 MOOSE'S CP's ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Even Moose Peterson has heard that rumor!

I read that he ALWAYS uses an 81A on his lenses.

;-)
    True, but look at what he mostly shoots - dark brown fuzzy animals. Adding warmth to a warm color usually looks good. It won't work for everybody in every case. When he shot film he used Agfa ISO100 slide film - and nothing else. I tried a few rolls on different subjects and didn't like it. A little grainy and had a warmish/brownish color to it, like the blue you see on Provia. But, based on his typical subjects it was a good choice. His shooting seems to be more varied than it was now, too.

BTW, check ebay for Moose filters - seen them pretty inexpensively although I can't recommend any sellers in particular.

I've never had a problem...

with the film I've ordered from out of state. Of course, since I went digital last fall I haven't purchased any film. I've still got a bunch in the freezer though.

What part of Arkansas do you live in? I live in Fayetteville.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Thread Information