ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Journalism is fun

You meet many interesting people, you need to create compelling images in a strict timeframe, you have to fight against circumstances to make the shots the best they can be, all while trying to present the viewer with the story in as clear a manner as possible. I really, really enjoy it. If you ever find yourself in a position to accept that sort of assignment, give it a try. Yes, it's daunting, there is much to remember, and it can get scary at times, for many different reasons, but seeing your shots next to a story and how the two work together and build on one another really is a great feeling. We see very little of that sort of work here, and I sort of wish that could change. If you have a history of journalism or that sort of work, go ahead and share. The more photographic areas we explore, the better off we'll be.

I will post some shots when I can, I have had a good run with a local paper. They used 11 of my shots over the past three weeks, of those I will pick some good ones and try to give the background and articles if I can. Some will have to wait as my contract stipulates that I can not publish the used images for ten days after the print run. Web sites are a grey area, but I'd rather be safe, I value my relationship with the photo department and don't want to jeopardize that.

So come on, show us what you've got!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

How about this...why don't you give us an assignment? I am willing to bet that some, if not most of us, have probably never had to confront this aspect of photography. So I'm willing to give it a shot (no pun intended), provided I'm given something to cover and a deadline to have it done. Limit everyone to one post of four pictures, and let's see how we all do.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    How about this...why don't you give us an assignment?
    Could be fun - but the photo project is along these lines too. I admit I've never done much there though.

Reminds me, I need to call the weekly here. I've sent a couple of emails (including shots) to someone I know there but had no responses. Photojournalism is something that really interests me, but it looks like a tough way to make a living. Good to teach you about working under pressure and coming back with a shot though. They don't care how hard it was to get the shot or what you had to go thru to make it happen, they just want the shot.

Wife just opened the second bottle of wine - I guess I'm signing off for the night...

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    How about this...why don't you give us an assignment? I am willing to bet that some, if not most of us, have probably never had to confront this aspect of photography. So I'm willing to give it a shot (no pun intended), provided I'm given something to cover and a deadline to have it done. Limit everyone to one post of four pictures, and let's see how we all do.

Ray
    Ray,

I would love to, but it'd be really tricky. For one, I have no clue what's going on in everyone's local areas, so I can't specifically give out assignments. But how does this sound? Let's pretend I'm an editor, I will list some categories of events that I would want to see pics of. Your job would be to find an event that matches one of the categories, shoot it and edit the images. Then, we all post them here by a certain "deadline" that would be representative of a deadline for submission for a print run the next morning. And then we'd critique each other's work to see how well we covered the event.

How does that sound??

Anyone else interested? If more people want to do this, I will have to go over several things before we start.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    Well...ya know, since I'm an "amateur" and all, I could use the practice :P - I'm game. Add me to the list.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Wink Sounds Like Fun

I'm willing to give it a try.

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

OK - I'm in. It'll be good experience to have to come back with something worthy of a critique.

Sounds like fun....

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Anyone else interested? If more people want to do this, I will have to go over several things before we start.

Sounds like fun, let's go for it. It's been 32 years since I worked on a dead line. I worked for a small local paper just out of college and did everything. I would shoot the event, develop and print (in the john), write the story, edit it, and do the page layouts. Yeah you got me revved. Just remember some of us don't live in big cities. My home town is about 3000 (on Saturday night when the farmers come to town), try to make it something that will fit all of us.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    It sounds interesting and fun *smile*... I was always being "yelled at" for being late for deadline...
    and it looks as though I may have found a job at a local newspaper here freelancing... at least I'm hoping it works out....
    I can't wait to see some of your pics

That's about exactly what I was thinking. Go for it.

Ray

Ray,

I would love to, but it'd be really tricky. For one, I have no clue what's going on in everyone's local areas, so I can't specifically give out assignments. But how does this sound? Let's pretend I'm an editor, I will list some categories of events that I would want to see pics of. Your job would be to find an event that matches one of the categories, shoot it and edit the images. Then, we all post them here by a certain "deadline" that would be representative of a deadline for submission for a print run the next morning. And then we'd critique each other's work to see how well we covered the event.

How does that sound??

I'd love to do this, I'll just have to run out and grab a USB- CD-ROM drive to get my images online (driver problems..no CD, sound, video, or LAN at the moment).

Dude,

Way cool. Totally Rad.

Yes, you can't count me in. I am sure I can find something to shoot.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Sounds like the blind leading the blind...

No, I'm really not trying to dis you Seb. It's a great idea, but seems to me you're just starting to learn this journalism stuff, and most of the others here have never even tried it, so I'm wondering just how valuable critiquing each others work is going to be...

Whadyouall say to me stepping in and playing "Grand Marshall" to your upcoming parade of pictures?

I can draw up some rules, start a thread for the shots, and get Liz or Charles to stick it. Of course, comments from everyone would be welcome, but I can give you a good idea of just how well the images would work in the real world of publishing...

Ya think???

Ray,

How does that sound??

"Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Steve,

Absoultely!! Thanks for the offer, it is eagerly accepted. I was just trying to work with what I have...which is me.

Let's go over the "rules" via email. I'd like to discuss that with you before we start this whole thing.
    -Seb

My website

Good work and this is great news

Good job Sebastian. I cannot wait to see the images, but if they are being used then they are effective images for the story.

This could be a great start into something bigger and that's exciting.

Congrats again,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I'm up for this type of challenge

Ray,

How does that sound??

That would be a great photo-project and that would be exciting. Have Mr. Aslyum and you come up with some rules, and let's see where it goes.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Sounds great, Seb and Steve...keep us posted.

Charles, great to see you're interested. It shouldn't be much of a departure from your typical way of shooting.

For everyone:

Take a look at this site for some inspiration: http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

I have to warn you some of it is graphic, so if you can't handle the sight of human suffering you might want to avoid it.
    -Seb

My website

Steve, Seb...

Count me in. This sounds like not only a great learning experience, but lots of fun as well.
    Brian

Take a look at this site for some inspiration: http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    We're being judged against him? Umm... the dog ate my homework...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    We're being judged against him? Umm... the dog ate my homework...
    Uhm...NO. If we were, I would be sellign my gear and taking up professional knitting. It'd be less embarassing that way.
    -Seb

My website

Thread Information