• 07-16-2005, 06:18 AM
    paulnj
    1 Attachment(s)
    Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!
    Liz suggested that I start a thread of BIRD images to see if I can ID them ;)

warning though US species are my forte' , so don't be suprised it I can't ID your images from asia ;) I will do my best to ID as close to the actual species as I can.

POST any image(good or bad) as long as there is some detail to the bird. TELL ME ... WHERE and WHEN also :)

HERE is a goose hybrid from may 5th 2003

It is a greater white fronted/ canada goose hybrid
  • 07-16-2005, 09:33 AM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Post Your Bird Images Here!!!!!!!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paulnj
    Liz suggested that I start a thread of BIRD images to see if I can ID them ;)

Well I know this won't stump you since you talked about their habits when I posted this back in April, but it's the best bird shot I have.
  • 07-16-2005, 09:40 AM
    Liz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    Well I know this won't stump you since you talked about their habits when I posted this back in April, but it's the best bird shot I have.

Chunk

I don't know what these birds are - but the photo is great. Nice color - good catch.

Liz
  • 07-16-2005, 10:11 AM
    Liz
    2 Attachment(s)
    Birds of the Street
    Paul

This first bird showed up on my friend's deck. It looks like it might be blind because I only saw a slit where the eye should be. Because it isn't a good photo, and my pp totally ruined it I never posted it. You may not be able to see the eye/image well enough due to the above. It was done before I knew anything about post processing.

The 2nd photo was taken in Central Park. This isn't a great photo - and they are "just streetbirds," but I always liked this picture - also done before I knew how to do post processing.

Liz
  • 07-16-2005, 10:47 AM
    julsoph
    1 Attachment(s)
    This is one that I haven't been able to figure out...lousy pic, but I think you can see enough of it...? This was in Maine.
  • 07-16-2005, 11:02 AM
    Liz
    Snowbird? Just a "wild" guess. I have no clue. :confused:

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by julsoph
    This is one that I haven't been able to figure out...lousy pic, but I think you can see enough of it...? This was in Maine.

• 07-16-2005, 12:09 PM
    paulnj
    nice tree swallows
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk

I haven't taken images of them nesting since the film days..... next spring I must do it again :)
  • 07-16-2005, 12:16 PM
    paulnj
    Re: Birds of the Street
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    Paul

This first bird showed up on my friend's deck. It looks like it might be blind because I only saw a slit where the eye should be. Because it isn't a good photo, and my pp totally ruined it I never posted it. You may not be able to see the eye/image well enough due to the above. It was done before I knew anything about post processing.

The 2nd photo was taken in Central Park. This isn't a great photo - and they are "just streetbirds," but I always liked this picture - also done before I knew how to do post processing.

Liz

The first one is a MALE white breasted nuthatch due to the black nape or back of the neck(compared to the female's greyish nape) . They do infact have small looking eyes too.

The second is a pair of juvenile house sparrows I do believe . The female looks JUST like this , but juvenile(first summer) has a more defined stripe behind the eye ;)
  • 07-16-2005, 12:32 PM
    BMWJNKY
    This humming bird made a nest just outside the front door where I used to live.

http://www.norcal-ls1.com/multimedia...1-E016-med.jpg
  • 07-16-2005, 12:34 PM
    paulnj
    1 Attachment(s)
    It's an eastern pheobe ;) they are a kind of flycatcher that is usually found close to water.

hear is a better image for you of one from a few years ago ;)
  • 07-16-2005, 12:38 PM
    paulnj
    well.... my guess would be allen's or anna's hummingbird, since those are the 2 most prevelent nesting species there,

PRETTY COOL IMAGE TOO!!!!!!!!
  • 07-16-2005, 01:43 PM
    julsoph
    Whoo hoo! Awesome...thanks Paul! Now I have another one to add to my list...hehehe.
  • 07-16-2005, 02:09 PM
    Chunk
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz
    Chunk

I don't know what these birds are - but the photo is great. Nice color - good catch.

Liz

Thanks Liz. The birds are tree swallows.
    Here's another on my sister's ugly birdhouse taken on Mother's Day.
  • 07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
    paulnj
    that bird house has CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!
  • 07-16-2005, 09:27 PM
    almo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok this is a bad image, but lets see if you can get it from this.
  • 07-17-2005, 07:06 AM
    natatbeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    :D ---technically it counts ;)
  • 07-17-2005, 07:31 AM
    almo
    Quote:

TOO EASY... OSPREY :)

I never really had a doubt. I was kinda banking on the lack of detail, but that has never seemed to stop you before.

WTG!
  • 07-17-2005, 07:31 AM
    paulnj
    hehehe.... robin eggs :)
  • 07-17-2005, 07:32 AM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    Ok this is a bad image, but lets see if you can get it from this.

TOO EASY... OSPREY :)
  • 07-17-2005, 07:36 AM
    paulnj
    bring on NON US birds :)
    ALL IS FAIR NOW :) Nearly 15000 species WORLD WIDE and I want all of them now :)

I know we have ALASKAN members, asian members, european members, AUSTRALIAN members, SOUTH/ CENTRAL AMERICAN members............
  • 07-17-2005, 07:39 AM
    payn817
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok, this is probably easy, but since this one was such a ham, and let me get so close, here you go. This is my first bird shot, so be gentle :D
  • 07-17-2005, 07:49 AM
    almo
    3 Attachment(s)
    Ok Paul. Lets see just how good you really are. Can you tell me to whom these babies belong?

And you can't just say duck on the middle one cuz it is a specific species.
  • 07-17-2005, 07:50 AM
    payn817
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just caught this huge swarm, anyway...I thought it was cool.
  • 07-17-2005, 08:07 AM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by payn817
    Ok, this is probably easy, but since this one was such a ham, and let me get so close, here you go. This is my first bird shot, so be gentle :D

NOT BAD AT ALL.... fledgling birds are a bit deceiving at times, but this NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD isn't ;) notice that the tail feathers are very stubby still.... freshly fledged :)

as for your swarm SERIOUSLY , the look like robins and redwinged blackbirds, but NEITHER are migration south this early in my area! That size flock is usually a migratory flock.
  • 07-17-2005, 08:27 AM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    Ok Paul. Lets see just how good you really are. Can you tell me to whom these babies belong?

And you can't just say duck on the middle one cuz it is a specific species.

YOU are a funny guy..... all I have to go on with the first is BILL shape and possibly habit. Nearly all birds look like that BEFORE the feathers fully form and THE nest isn't visible(to me atleast)

out on a LIMB I will go with.....

1ST image...... may be a very young dove or mockingbird, but ONLY you could know!

2ND image looks like wood duck to me but most ducks look like that in downy feathers ;)

3RD appears to be MOORHEN , but may be a COOT. The chest would tell the EXACT ID :)
  • 07-17-2005, 08:32 AM
    almo
    Quote:

YOU are a funny guy..... all I have to go on with the first is BILL shape and possibly habit. Nearly all birds look like that BEFORE the feathers fully form and THE nest isn't visible(to me atleast)

out on a LIMB I will go with.....

1ST image...... may be a very young dove or mockingbird, but ONLY you could know!

2ND image looks like wood duck to me but most ducks look like that in downy feathers ;)

3RD appears to be MOORHEN , but may be a COOT. The chest would tell the EXACT ID :)

Oh my friend you are good even when you arn't.

Moorhen

Muscovy

Moorhen
  • 07-17-2005, 10:13 AM
    paulnj
    you do know that the first 2 were unfair right :) KEEP them coming none the less :)
  • 07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
    almo
    Quote:

you do know that the first 2 were unfair right :) KEEP them coming none the less :)

Unfair??? If a buncha blue eggs can pass as fair than a few chicks should be ok too...:p
  • 07-17-2005, 10:43 AM
    almo
    1 Attachment(s)
    How bout this one???
  • 07-17-2005, 10:58 AM
    paulnj
    JUVENILE house sparrow.... your RED FACED MUSCOVYDUCK CHICKS are not a recognised species... they are feral domestic ducks :) I did consider them , since both chicks looked different ;) A wood duck looks just like that at a VERY young age judging by the 2 I seen a few years ago BALING out of a nest cavity :)
  • 07-17-2005, 07:33 PM
    Gabe
    1 Attachment(s)
    I don't remember if you've seen this image before.. I have a feeling you will roll your eyes at it and say, Aw c'mon, you can try harder than that! lol But I'll give it a shot anyway.

South FL, can't remember the season as they're all hot down here.
  • 07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
    almo
    2 Attachment(s)
    Ok 2 more for ya Paul...
  • 07-18-2005, 06:06 AM
    paulnj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe
    I don't remember if you've seen this image before.. I have a feeling you will roll your eyes at it and say, Aw c'mon, you can try harder than that! lol But I'll give it a shot anyway.

South FL, can't remember the season as they're all hot down here.

appears to be a nesting green heron TRYING to hide..... sweet!!!!!!!!
  • 07-18-2005, 06:11 AM
    paulnj
    your trying to trick me with an african bird huh ;) hammerkop

and your blue winged teal are nice :) We get them in winter .
  • 07-18-2005, 06:46 AM
    almo
    Quote:

your trying to trick me with an african bird huh ;) hammerkop

and your blue winged teal are nice :) We get them in winter .

Nice! You are good...:D
  • 07-18-2005, 07:03 AM
    paulnj
    I TRY :)

I must admit though... some fall female warblers are very tough :) as are the "hummingbirds" of south/ central america and a vast majority of non US passerines ;)

KEEP THEM COMING! I have been editing images for Dukes estate for 2 days.... I only take a break to sleep, work and ID birds between HVAC guys giving me estimates on a NEW central air system since mine took a SH_T late last week(88 in my house with 95% humidity I bet)
  • 07-18-2005, 07:55 AM
    almo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Ok here is one I havn't a clue on.

What's this???
  • 07-18-2005, 08:33 AM
    paulnj
    Malachite Sunbird in non breeding plumage ?????as in the plumage the males get right after the young are fledged as to not draw attention to the young :)

This is an educated guess , as I can't see the TAIL
  • 07-18-2005, 10:00 AM
    Gabe
    1 Attachment(s)
    Well I knew that heron wasn't about to stump ya, lol. So how about this one? The coolest-looking bird on earth, IMO. I believe they're from the Amazon forest.
  • 07-18-2005, 10:35 AM
    kkmike
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's a little guy on the bird feeder in front of my house. Canon Rebel XT, Bigma @ 500mm ISO400 1/160 f6.3