ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

New Year Musings

Hi all

Some of you will know that I have been working on a slide show retrospective of my photography over the past couple of years. This afternoon as I was working on it, the question suddenly occurred to me: What would someone who didn't know me conclude about me just from looking at my photographs?

So I watched it again, trying to put myself in that position. It struck me quite forcibly that most of my images are quite pessimistic about the world. The people in them tend to be alone and moving through an unfriendly environment. Even when there are two or more people, they tend not to be interacting at all. I know that the choice of the music for the slide show maybe accentuates this mood, but even so I wondered if my photography actually says quite a lot about the way I view the world? And what the photography of other people might say about them?

I didn't think I had this view of the world, and I am a sociable person and not at all lonely - but maybe my images show a side of me I hide?

Food for thought I think!

For those who haven't see it, the final version of the slide show (slightly different than the previous one) can be seen at: http://vimeo.com/2687313

Please note though that I do not intend this as a repost of something I posted earlier, but me raising this philosophical question about us, our photography, and the insights it maybe gives into our deeper feelings. Or perhaps, for most of us, the style and content of our photography doesn't really lend itself to this kind of introspection?

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Didache; 01-01-2009 at 09:02 AM.
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Re: New Year Musings

Mike your work is truly top notch, I enjoyed the slide show. But I have always found your pictures lean the other way. I guess it is all about how you look at it. Aside from the Auschwitz pictures and the music, I guess.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Mike just took a look at the finished product and was blown away! I thought the whole mood and music were perfect. I didn't have the same reaction as you did about a pessimistic outlook on the world. I don't think I would change a thing. I'm proud to have had an opportunity to watch your work progress over the last several months here on PR. Keep the great images coming.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Mike,
    I think the choice of music may compel you to come away with a pessimistic impression far more so than the photography. While it's true that most of your human subjects seem isolated or introverted, I do not see the dark "doom & gloom" resonating from your work. Your compositional color is exquisite and radiates a love of simple beauty (with the possible exception of a few of the grittier underground shots).

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Just call it reality which I know you see. Reality doesn't mean you are pessimistic...just realistic.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Beautiful. Reality is harsh sometime, I loved the music.

Thanks guys for your encouragement. I did try it again with different music - not as obvious, but I still think it is my "house style" for better or for worse. Maybe this is just what happens when you live in the big city.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Thread Information