ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Portrait

Portrait

A lot of pain inside Willem. Is all damn hard.

Fortunately, I have my passion, which I try to pursue as often as possible. Obviously, also Margaret’s wish for to me to keep doing that in my new life. Continue to live and to enjoy your children and grandchildren. But also to make stunning pictures, persist in stimulating your photographical understanding and knowledge. That was her message.

Take time for your grief, but let it not overrule. I’ll always be with you and watch over your shoulder; I’ll be perceptibly nearby when you need guidance.

During the last year of her life, Margaret pressed for the release of a second book of photographs, and this will befall in 2010. I will dedicate it to my loving wife who always was deeply involved in practising my passion and who gave me free rein.

My oldest daughter Kim, 26, would like to go on a five-day trip with her dad. Europe, I assumed, but Kim announced that she wanted to go to New York. Wonderful, I agreed. Isn’t it just right for a father to be on the go along with his daughter during these immensely sad times that on all fronts seem to have a detrimental effect on all fronts.

March 2010, that is when it will take place. Pictures will definitely be taken, but we won’t skip museums and the theatre. People will talk and, if necessary, bee comforted. I am convinced that we return stronger.

Last week I bought the astonishing book Portraits by Stephan Vanfletteren. It’s a magnificent book that every photographer taking pictures of human beings should have on their bookshelves and that should lie next to the book Belgium that I bought during one of his exhibitions. Both books are a source of inspiration.

For the time being, I have loads of pictures from Istanbul lying around that I will post on my weblog on a regular basis. What's more, I’m also working on the selection for my book and I need permission from many people. This will take up a great deal of time, but it will save me time once the book is published.

To put it briefly, enough to do, but in the meantime I would like to take new snaps. Together with all the digital violence, I regularly look at my lovely Mamiya set and the Rolleiflex. Plenty of films in the fridge, what’s to stop me?

Willem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portrait-800.jpg  

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Portrait

Bless you, Wellem.
    Keep the passion going..I never tire of looking at your portraits!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Willem; continue to express yourself through your great photography. It's a great language. Your wife is proud of you.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Fantastic contrast, Willem. That's what makes black and white such a rich artform.

Willem,
    Always wonderful to read your thoughts and to see your vision through your portraiture. There can be no question that this year has been difficult on you and your family, but it's very reassuring to see you handling it as well as you are. I will be VERY curious to see New York through your eyes!

Liz

My dear Friend Willem,

Thank you for sharing your deepest feelings with your friends here. I have followed your threads for years, and shared your joyful moments, along with the sadness you've experienced since your wife's illness and your own health problems throughout the years. With the loss of your wife and best friend, you have suffered tremendously, and I'm so sorry for you.

You are a passionate Artist, Willem, and your work continues to express your deepest feelings as depicted in this image of suffering and pain. I'm glad that you're opening up new photography horizons with your photography and reading.

I think your trip to New York with your daughter will be a new beginning for you, and I will pray for you as you take this time to be with her and share some brighter moments. It sounds like you're looking forward to it, and you are blessed to have such a loving daughter to spend this time with. I hope this trip will bring you new life - and some happy moments in your life.

God bless you, Willem. Please continue to come here and visit your friends, share your beautiful portraits, and let us know how you're doing. You will be in my prayers.

Liz

Thread Information