ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Portfolio

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar

Portfolio

I was wondering if it was acceptable to display your portfolio digitally. A couple of magazines recently requested that I send my portfolio to them so they could review my work and I wondered if it is acceptable to just send them a cd of my work set in a slide show. This brings down the costs for me and instead of having them return the book, they get to keep my work on file for future use. Is this acceptable though? Also, does anyone know of a slide show that is cross platform? I do my photo-editing on a mac, but I also have a PC, and when I send my cd I want to be sure it will work for whatever platform the place uses.

Portfolios

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    I was wondering if it was acceptable to display your portfolio digitally. A couple of magazines recently requested that I send my portfolio to them so they could review my work and I wondered if it is acceptable to just send them a cd of my work set in a slide show. This brings down the costs for me and instead of having them return the book, they get to keep my work on file for future use. Is this acceptable though? Also, does anyone know of a slide show that is cross platform? I do my photo-editing on a mac, but I also have a PC, and when I send my cd I want to be sure it will work for whatever platform the place uses.
    If I was an editor, I would prefer a book over digital media. Also, when you send your book they see your work immediately instead of finding a computer, seeing web optimized images. A printed page looks so much better than a digital copy so unless they ask for a digital portfolio I would send the book.

Congrats on getting the attention of an art director.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I've sent images through e-mail (not the preferred method) and can now refer editors to my website as well. CDs are becoming a very acceptable format for portfolios, just make sure to make the files compatible with either platform, as you mentioned .

A book is always nicer, of course, but most editors will have a computer sitting around very nearby anyway.
    "It is time to live like the wind and then to die like thunder."

www.gabriel-diaz.com

Thread Information