ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

One For Old Truck Fans

Saw this today. It started life as a 1953 Ford Truck. The owner has had it for over 20 years, and he has been restoring it little by little over that time. He says it's about 99% done now. He also says that the sheet metal on the outside is about the only original part on it. He has custom made some parts, and he has modified it quite a bit.

For instance, it has a 350 small block engine, an Oldsmobile front end, and Corvette tires and rims. It also has air conditioning, AM/FM, and if you look closely, it does NOT have an outside doorhandle! You open the door electronically, much like we lock/unlock our cars.

If anyone is interested in this, I've got more shots I can post. All shots taken with a Coolpix 3500. BTW, it was VERY bright out, and I had a heck of a time trying to compose these on the screen!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-01-r640.jpg   One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-02-r640.jpg   One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-03-r640.jpg   One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-04-r640.jpg  
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I, for one, would like to see more. Looks like you did a pretty good job with the Coolpix.

Was this a chance encounter? It's hard to compose a decent shot of the entire vehicle when they're parked in a parking lot like that with people and cars all around. You did a good job managing to deal with what was there! Of course, I would have expected nothing less from you! ;)
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Talking More, More, More

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    I, for one, would like to see more. Looks like you did a pretty good job with the Coolpix.

Was this a chance encounter? It's hard to compose a decent shot of the entire vehicle when they're parked in a parking lot like that with people and cars all around. You did a good job managing to deal with what was there! Of course, I would have expected nothing less from you! ;)
    You want it, you got it buddy! Just for you. :-)

Yes, this was a chance encounter. The man who owns it works at Fort Macon State Park. We had a meeting yesterday to discuss the progress of their septic system, and the truck came up in conversation. I noticed it when I got there, but didn't have time to take any shots then. So I took some shots when the meeting was over.

Composing was a major challenge! The Coolpix 3500 does not have a viewfinder, just the display screen. In bright light (like yesterday) it is a bear trying to compose what you can barely see! Also, since there were vehicles on both sides of it, I tried to be creative in getting the shots. Glad I did an acceptable job. :-O

Without further ado...

The first shot is of his Corvette Rims and Tires. :-)
    The second shot is of his license plate.
    The third shot is of the rear fender panel, which he extended by three inches.
    The last shot is a head on shot showing how low the front end is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-05-r640.jpg   One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-07-r640.jpg   One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-09-r640.jpg   One For Old Truck Fans-53-fatty-10-r640.jpg  
    Last edited by Speed; 03-02-2004 at 06:05 AM.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Again, you did a great job using the situation at hand. It's obvious he's a craftsman (or knows people that are) and loves his old truck! I like his license plate. hehe.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Talking He Is The Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Again, you did a great job using the situation at hand. It's obvious he's a craftsman (or knows people that are) and loves his old truck! I like his license plate. hehe.
    He mentioned that his rear fenders didn't come out far enough to suit him. So he extended them by three inches. Then they had a flat spot in the middle. So he spent hours hammering them out to match the curve of the rest of the fender panel. He has more patience than I have!

Yes, he loves his truck. You may have noticed the aluminum bedliner. He is building a rail to park his Harley in the back of it! :-)

Thanks for the comments and kind words my friend! Have a great day.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Thread Information