ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Can we talk Shoe Mount Flashes for a moment?

If you have a shoe mount flash, and you use that instead of the pop-up, can you answer my questions? I am wondering if that should be my next purchase. I think I'd be using it mainly to reflect some addtional light off walls, ceilings, etc, but I am looking for other reasons to justify needing one RIGHT NOW.

How often do you use it? Is it on your camera all the time?
    How do you use it? (Not technically how, but how do you personally use it to enhance your photos)

Thanks!
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

Re: Can we talk Shoe Mount Flashes for a moment?

I use one a lot of the time. And 99% of the time, it's to bounce the light off a wall or ceiling, though I've experimented with different flash diffusers for different effects. Since a lot of my photos are indoors, it was a necessary purchase and bought it at the same time I purchased my dslr.

BM

Depends on your style and what you want to photograph. If you take a lot of pictures of your kids/friends/family, indoors, in low light, the ability to bounce a shoe mount flash will greatly improve your results. If you ever plan to do any kind of event photography, like weddings, a shoe mount flash is absolutely necessary. I recommend adding a simple diffuser to spread the light around more evenly. There are many different kinds that are good...I use a simple stofen omni-bounce.

The difference between bounced flash and straight-on flash from a pop-up unit is huge. It's such a big difference that ever since I learned to bounce flash I refuse to use my pop-up flash for anything more than a bit of fill light in an emergency situation, which is almost always outdoors in harsh lighting. But, that's the opinion of someone who generally doesn't like flash photography.

Paul

I'm kind of like Paul on this one. I would prefer to never have to use it but there are just too many circumstances that require added light. I don't see how you could do with out one. I also bounce, reflect or diffuse 99% of the image I take with the hot shoe mounted flash. I have been using the Gary Fong device a lot lately and do like the look it gives me as well.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I seldom use mine,(sbr 800) but when I need it, I need it and probably should use it more often, especially outdoors as a fill light.
    When shooting faces indoors, using the pop-up, you get harsh light directly in the eyes of your subject if they're looking at you. Not good!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I am wondering if that should be my next purchase.

Hey Gracie,

The short answer is YES! It should be your next purchase.

You need one RIGHT NOW because the pop up flash is abysmal. It is abysmal in it's strength (good for 10 or 12 feet), it is abysmal in it's light (too close to the lens, produces flat light, and horrendous red eye), and it is abysmal in it rigidity (you can't angle it, bounce it, diffuse it, etc).

A shoe mounted flash is the second thing ANY photographer should purchase. After I got my first SLR, a shoe mounted flash was the next thing I bought. I never regretted it. When I got my first DSLR, I had to buy a new flash unit. I wasn't real happy about sinking another $300 into my set up, but it was a MUST HAVE. Again, I 've never regretted it.

I use mine a lot more than I ever imagined I would. And I knew I needed one, which is why it was the second thing that I bought. For portraits, weddings, macro, even still life's, a shoe mounted flash makes a quantum leap in the resulting images. Ever shot an outside wedding? Trust me, you don't want to do it without a shoe mounted flash. Also, being able to diffuse the flash, bounce the flash, angle the flash, give you an incredible amount of flexiblity and creativity in your photography.

One last thing. Buy the best that you can afford. I bought a SB800 three years ago for $315. It's since been discontinued, but I've never regretted spending the money for it. At the time it was Nikon's most expensive flash unit. It was also their most powerful flash and could be used off camera wirelessly.

Nikon currently makes a $99 flash (SB400), a $225 flash (SB600), and a $475 flash (SB900). I'm thinking about getting a back up flash. The SB400 only tilts up (not side to side) and can't be used wirelessly. So, my next flash will be the SB600. It tilts sideways as well as up, is more powerful, and can also be used wirelessly. It's a no brainer.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Gracie,

Like the others have stated, it really is something that you should get. I purchased my 430 EX for my XTi and use it a lot, well worth the price. Also like OT mentioned I have a Gary Fong diffuser and it works great. There was a thread about making your own and you can go that route also.

I seen that you do live in the states, if you want try and rent one to see if YOU think it is needed. I have rented a few times from LensRentals and have never had any problems with shipping or the item. They might be a little on the high side but like I mentioned they are great to deal with, even if you need something in a few days like I did one time.

James

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Yes, an external flash is excellent! It was one of the things I purchased when I got my dSLR. SB-800 at first and now I have a pair of SB-600s as well (for off camera slaves or loaning out to others).

And I agree with James, the Lightsphere II is a brilliant piece of equipment.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

For some pointers on 'good' use of artificial light, check out http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/ and http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Browse their archives and you will find enormous amounts of information. Strobist emphasizes off camera lighting, and planet neil focuses (haha) more on the side of on camera, bounced lighting, but tosses in a bit of off camera lighting too.

BM

Thank you for all the replies! I've been so frustrated this winter trying to shoot because of how much I dislike using the pop up flash, but it gets dark so early that I need to use something.

I guess it will be my next purchase. I'll check out the links you've posted and do some reasearch into which will be best for me. Thanks again!
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

Thread Information