ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Photostock 2013

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Photostock 2013

Every year, renowned photographer, and dare I say, friend of mine Bill Schwab hosts an event in his greater backyard that is Emmit County in Michigan called Photostock. The small gathering that once camped in his backyard now sets up camp over the course of a few days in June at the Birchwood Inn just outside the lovely village of Harbor Springs. My first event was last year, and what a welcome, despite the fact it was my first time there, I was welcomed with open arms, and they loved the fact I was using a Super8 camera to capture the event.

It also had a profound effect on me. After photostock I started developing my own B&W film, Printing in the Darkroom, and now have even stepped in large format photography.

Although it is mostly film and large format shooters, there were a few there shooting digital, myself included (well Digital Video). It's a great chance to photography a beautiful part of the USA, and network with other photographers, share your own work, and learn something new!

There are three things that make Photostock what it is!

First off is the Place, Emmit County, Northern Michigan: Harbor Springs, Petosky, Mackinac City, Cross Village, Good Hart, and my favourite drive, the M119.

Secondly there's the People, and it's really the People that make it. They're all open, willing to share, and to listen as well. Everyone is at different points in their photography...but no one is looked down on.

And finally the community, the song "Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris really drove this point home as the back track for the video I shot at Photostock, unlike last year, this year I used a digital video camera, actually my compact Olympus E-P1 to do all the shoot. I'll let it speak for itself.

You can see all my Photostock photos here: Photostock 2013 - a set on Flickr

Interested in Attending Next Year's photostock, keep an eye here: Photostock 2013 - The Midsummer Photographer's Gathering in Northern Michigan - June 20-23, 2013 or join up at http://www.apug.org
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Re: Photostock 2013

Thanks for sharing .

Re: Photostock 2013

I like black and white pictures!

Thread Information