ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Intro and a question

Hello everyone! I am new to the group and thought I'd just say hello and start out with a basic question. And I apologize ahead of time - I get long winded.

I am really into scrapbooking, and while my scrapbooking talents improved over time, my photos really haven't. So about a year ago I started exploring photography more and what I could do to take better pictures. My husband bought me a Rebel XTi, and that was a start in the right direction. I LOVE it! I am still learning about what settings to use to get the best pictures, but it is already leaps and bounds better than the point and shoot I used to use.

Anyway, my question is... I've started looking into other lenses (I just have the one that came with it, the EF-S 18-55) and I am also thinking about getting a tripod. My concern is though is that with my busy life, I am afraid I'll invest a lot of money in additional equipment, but then I'll never put forth the effort to take everything with me and I'll be in a constant state of "I wish I had my XYZ lens, my tripod, etc., etc."

So what do you all do? Do you haul all your equipment around with you? Take it on special photography "outings" where you know you'll just be shooting pictures all day? What basic equipment do you always have with you?

Thanks! I can't wait to read more on this forum, I think I'll have a lot to learn from you all!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Intro and a question

Hello and welcome, Gracie.
    If I am just walking about, I'll probably just take my 18-135 lens with me. If I'm going after something specific, I'll adjust my equipment accordinly. For instance, if I wanted to do some close-ups of flowers, I'd take my tripod, lens, and extension tubes.
    If I'm searching for photos, then I'll take about all that I have, just in case. Some people have a lot of stuff and would need to pick and choose.
    I recently bought a larger bag because my other was getting cramped and already finding the new one getting too small but I can just take two bags.
    I just about always have a tripod and circular polarizer even for short outings, and cleaning stuff.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If I am just out and about with a camera, I usually take my XTi + 1 lens depending on what kind of photo ops I expect or simply my Powershot. (Compact digital)

If I'm going out specifically to take pictures, I take my whole backpack with everything.

Check out this one, it's the one I have and it's comfortable and holds my stuff. (except my tripod of course, I keep one bungee'd in my car all the time)
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thanks for the replies. And funny about the link Mr Yuck, I just sent that to my husband a few days ago as a hint for what I want for my birthday. :yesnod:

Nice to have you as a member of the family Gracie. I think in order to answer part of your question we would have to know what kind of photography you enjoy doing. That would be a big determining factor in what lens should be next. Don't know if you need to go wider and faster or if a nice tel zoom would be better suited to you situation. When I go out with a camera I usually have an array of lenses and accessories with me backed away in a bag where I can get to them in a hurry. Sometimes however I determine before hand what I want to try and shoot and will go out with just one lens for example a 50mm and concentrate on getting the best images I can with it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Hello! I'm just like you with lengthy responses, haha.

I also have an XTi, and also for about a year. I recently got a new lens and because I haven't found a particular subject I like photographing yet, I always bring everything with me. My camera bag is in a bit of a tight fit though, lol. I go on a lot of church trips, so my last trip was a Christian convention with some of my best friends. I brought my kit lens (the 18-55mm) as well as my zoom lens because there are usually concerts. I also brought a tripod to attempt light photography by using the cars passing by the hotel window. They all came in perfect use. I usually lug everything around, anyway. I go to school, and people always used to ask me, "Why do you have the massive lunch box and a tripod?" Now they're used to it (:

Since you're into scrapbooking, I'm assuming you usually document different days by shooting people as your subjects. The kit lens is perfect for that, since the ideal photos put into a scrapbook are usually subjects taken up close. However, when you want to get something taken from afar, a telephoto lens comes in handy. Personally, the only use I have for my telephoto lens is for shooting concerts, but I only got it this past Christmas. In time, you'll find uses for it, though it's really up to you if you really think you need one. There are an array of types of lenses, so it really depends on the look and feel you want to give your photos. A fisheye is something that could look great in a scrapbook, but it's one of those things that looks cliche'd if you used it too often.

A tripod on the other hand, almost always comes in handy. I photograph a lot of emotive self-portraits (because I lack subjects, severely, hahaha), and until I got my tripod, I never had a surface to use except a stack of books or a trash can or something- I was really limited. Now, I can shoot in a wider array of places, especially when I want to be included as the subject.

Hah, sorry for all of this. As I said a bajillion times, it depends on what you want. I thought I'd give you a few scenarios to use to help you determine if you think it's worth it or not. Good luck! (:

Hi there! I'm new to the forum as well - nice to meet you!

So, how much are you wanting to spend on this new lens?

(I'm a pro photographer, so forgive me if I recommend a lens beyond your budget here)

If your budget is $1200, I'd say to go for the 24-70 2.8L lens. It is a GREAT lens ... but probably more than you need.

Another lens you should really look at is the 85mm 1.8 lens. You will love the aperture of 1.8. Really, it is great - and it is a very fast lens compared to the 18-55mm. It's pretty inexpensive - around $300-$400. It is pretty nice - the only drawback is that it is a fixed lens, meaning you can't zoom in or out with it.

Another lens to look at is the 50mm 1.4. It is just another great lens to consider - even wider aperture available. It is also on the relatively inexpensive side of ~$300-~$400.

A lot of professionals keep the 85mm 1.8 on their camera 90% of the time when they aren't shooting professional ... and sometimes when they are. It is just a great lens - the same goes for the 50mm 1.4. You can't go wrong with either one.

I hope this helps.

- Spencer Clark
    Anna and Spencer Photography - Atlanta Wedding Photographers

Welcome, fellow Minnesotan. I am a one lens photographer. I bought my used Canon 30D just a couple months or so ago, and immediately ordered the Canon 100-400L lens. All I shoot is wildlife. I have no need at this time for another lens. But then, this one cost $1300. I guess you could call it tunnel vision. When I leave town for a photo outing, I grab my bag with lens attached, a couple extra batteries and an extra CF card. If I'm going to stay overnight somewere, I include my battery charger, laptop computer and a couple cd's. I also throw in my monopod and tripod, although I rarely use either one. It so much depends on what your subjects are going to be.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Quote Originally Posted by gracie_r
    So what do you all do? Do you haul all your equipment around with you? Take it on special photography "outings" where you know you'll just be shooting pictures all day? What basic equipment do you always have with you?
    Hi Gracie,

I'm also a fairly new person here also, but you've found a really friendly community here.

But on to your question, yeah, I lug all my stuff around, unless I know exactly what I'm going to be shooting. Most of the time, it's more of a walkabout for me, and shoot what ever catches my eye. At this point, I only have the two kit lenses (18-55mm and 75-300mm) for my Canon XTi. So there isn't a lot that I'm carrying, but I also have a couple filters, lens hoods, cleaning kit, remote, etc. I'm looking at picking up a couple other faster lenses and I know I will take them along also.

Lately, some of the biggest disagreements my g/f and I get into, other than about me wearing a jacket in what she thinks is cold, is about lugging around the tripod.

I've learned my lesson about leaving stuff behind. Every time I leave the tripod behind, there is always a set of primo pictures that are always motioned blurred as a result of not having the tripod. Hence I take it every time now. Every time I leave the zoom lens behind, there's a nice distance shot that doesn't have the detail or interest in it.

It's one of those things, just like an umbrella; if you forget it, then it's sure to rain.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Welcome Gracie_r. I had the XTi and loved it alot. still have it but as a back-up. You might want to look into Canons 17-85mm Image stabilized lens. Just around 450.00 and a great walk around lens with good quality. Would be a great fit for that camera.
    As for a tripod, look into the Slik brand. they make good quality equipment for great price. I would recommend the Slik 300 DX, can be had for about 100.00 bucks and comes with a carrying case.
    If I'm just going on a casual venture, i just bring my back pack with 5D and some lenses and flashes.
    Sometimes I will set aside an entire day and plan a photography jaunt, in which case I will bring everything including tripod and all lenses.
    If I am going away on vacation, I bring everything as well.
    hope to see soem images of yours soon
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Wow, thanks for all the replies everyone! That helps out a lot. Looks like I might as well just get used to hauling things around!

I usually just shoot everyday things. So it will be whatever my family has planned for the day, or just pictures of the kiddo around the house. I know eventually when my kids are more self sufficient I'll take more time to photograph other things (I'd love to get into nature photography and landscapes, that kind of thing) but I don't have time for it now. So right now my needs are pretty basic I think.

What I have the most trouble with is low light and lots of movement (think of a baby crawling on the living room floor). I hate using the flash because it ruins that beautiful baby look... Would a better lens help with that? Like the ones Sclark mentioned (when he said "faster lens")? I've thought of buying (so embarressing that I don't know the terms...) a flash that will sit off to the side and get reflected back by one of those umbrella things - but I'd almost have to just leave it set up to have it when I need it. And with a very curious toddler, that could be bad news really quick. Maybe a new lens would solve some of my problems?

Thanks again for everyone's replies!

For a faster indoor lens, and one of the best lenses you can buy no matter the cost, is the 50mm f/1.8 II. It's about $70 from most places (like www.bhphotovideo.com). That will have no problem taking photos indoors and I can't recommend it enough - it's absolutely wonderful for portraits. If you want to be amazed by what it can do, check out Alison's blog: http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ighlight=copes
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

agreed, the 50mm 1.8 is great.
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

Thread Information