ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Question whose territory is it

If you are out hiking on a public trail and you come across a wedding in the woods and you want to take photos of the scene before you, how would you approach the situation?

Would you feel like you could not or should not shoot the scene and why? What would you do or not do?

What are the legal vs. ethical issues of shooting it? (There's the photojournalism aspect vs. encroaching on another photographer's job.)

Well, the photojournalism aspect of it is that if someone is on public property, they are fair game to "shoot" (with a camera, ha ha). The encroaching on another photographer's job part would probably have the same rules apply as at any wedding: spectators can take pictures but should be mindful of not getting in the way of the photographer or distracting his subjects or "taking over".

Me, personally, I would play it by ear, but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting close. I'd absolutely not try to ask the bride & groom to do some special pose for me. They'd think I was nutz anyway. Unless the photographer was done and everyone was on their way to the cars, then I *might* pull them aside and say, "I've enjoyed watching your wedding so much and I have an idea for a special picture, would you mind if I gave it a shot?" Then I may or may not offer to send it to them. If I was a pro, I might give them my card and ask them to contact me. If I was an amateur, I might just send it as a "thank you" for their kindness and cooperation.

If you're saying you'd want to shoot pictures during the ceremony, I'd definitely stay behind the spectators and be very very unobtrusive. You might have no idea what social customs they have.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Well, If I came across this (I was the wedding photographer) and saw someone in the distance taking images, It wouldn't be so bad, but if they were up close taking images, I would step in and approach you. I would want to know what purpose you had taking images of my clients. The B&G would like to know why you are taking images. If your just a passerby grabbing a shot of scene for memory, fine, but if your looking to build your portfolio, that's a difference story. Now I know it's public property and all, but you would still have to deal with me public property or not.

Legal vs ethical issues?

I'm no lawyer, and just because something might be legal doesn't mean it is right. It just blows me away that in the US people have been able to escape prosecution for taking photos through windows (from outside) of people in their own homes, all because there was no law against such a thing.

OK, as for your hypothetical question, if I were hiking and happened to come across a wedding unexpectedly, if I really felt the desire to shoot the event, I'd keep my distance (as I was not an invited guest) and be unobtrusive. I would not hang around for long. If I noticed people looking at me, wondering who I was or what I was doing, I'd leave so as not to create a distraction. Just because someone is in a public place doesn't mean I wouldn't still respect their desire for some privacy.

But that is just me.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by maplegirlie
    If you are out hiking on a public trail and you come across a wedding in the woods and you want to take photos of the scene before you, how would you approach the situation?

Would you feel like you could not or should not shoot the scene and why? What would you do or not do?

What are the legal vs. ethical issues of shooting it? (There's the photojournalism aspect vs. encroaching on another photographer's job.)

B&G?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the B&G?
    Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgy
    Well, If I came across this (I was the wedding photographer) and saw someone in the distance taking images, It wouldn't be so bad, but if they were up close taking images, I would step in and approach you. I would want to know what purpose you had taking images of my clients. The B&G would like to know why you are taking images. If your just a passerby grabbing a shot of scene for memory, fine, but if your looking to build your portfolio, that's a difference story. Now I know it's public property and all, but you would still have to deal with me public property or not.

Quote Originally Posted by maplegirlie
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the B&G?
    Thanks for the response.
    bride and groom
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Duh!

Bride and Groom. Of course that's what it stands for! Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    bride and groom

B&G

Fancy wedding photographer talk. How could you not know? ;)
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information