ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I've been thinking..

Camera manufacturers should offer custom ordered camera's/FW. This way, you get exactly everything you want, and nothing you don't. Also, you pay for only what you want, and nothing you don't.

There may be a few basic bodies to choose from, then you can choose which imaging sensor you want, which lcd, AF module, etc.

Here's the exciting part. Modular Firmware. Want live view or video? Add the module for additional cost. Wan't to do away with trivial things like scene modes or certain automatic features? Nix them! Want to set your own autobracketing EV's? No problem!

Think we'll ever see the day? Am I just nuts?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: I've been thinking..

I don't but agree it would be nice.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

YES !!!
    I have no idea how the engineering would go,but it sounds good to me.
    -Dell did well on the computer version of customization..why not cameras ?

Actually,a Japanese firm are working on sunglasses that take a shot as you blink..and I'm looking forward to an implant camera..one day.

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

Would be nice, but the economics of it all would not work at all. Developing the hardware (software to lesser extent) for those more high end features is effectively cheaper because they are then implementing it in every camera, so the cost is driven down. Chopping and choosing what 'modules' you want would, in effect, act as a diseconomy of scale through added workload for customisation and higher unit costs due to lower purchasing (not everyone wants everything).
    It's different for the Dells of the world because, whether a particular customer wants say, a hard drive, or not, world demand and supply is fairly unchanged. For DSLR manufacturers, the market is so much smaller that it would affect them directly, I reckon.
    I'm just looking at the economics of it here. No idea if it's actually possible, but if it were, it'd be expensive.
    I know RED has released modular DSLR to the market, though...

Kentucky Wildlife

There are so many settings and bells and whistles on modern cameras that no one has the desire, nor the knowledge, to use them all, but they are there to meet a broad range of expertise and fit every photographer's growing abilities. I've been doing this for over 30 years (started out when everything was manual) and think all the technological advances are amazing. All the auto features have made good photographers of many people who don't really understand what is going on with available light, and software development packages have added a whole new element and avenue of control over photography.
    I think what you are suggesting would be like trying to reintroduce manual typewriters to writers using word processors.
    The current divisions between point-and-shoot, and all the variable features of entry-level and professional DSLR cameras provide more than enough choices and price ranges as is.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Prices have come down so much (relatively for what you get anymore) that it doesn't make sense to have a custom camera.

As long as they provide full manual controls in addition to full automated controls - there will be enough to suit most everyone. I've only used a tiny handful of features on my cameras - but the other features came with the camera

Why pay for a camera that will do less but cost more that no one else will buy from you?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

As impractical as it would be for the camera companies to do this, it is fun to think about. What would you put into your a camera if you could custom design it? Here are a few things that Joe McNally would like in his custom built camera. This was taken from his blog for Jan. 3rd.

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/

If I could custom design a camera, what would I put in there?

First, it would be called the D3Z Transformer model, or something like that. It would have the voice of Optimus Prime and at the start of each shoot, his rich, reasonable, impassioned baritone would beseech the subject: “Give this worthy photographer time and access to do his good work upon which the fate of many hangs.”

I mean, who wouldn’t listen? If they didn’t you could switch to “Vader Mode” and the camera would start to emit aqualung type noises. A far more sinister voice would then intone: “I find your lack of enthusiasm disturbing.” The camera would then send out some sort of sonic infrared radio signal that would constrict the subject’s air passages. I mean, they figured out how to send flash exposure information wrapped around light frequencies, surely they could figure this out. Talk about useful technology.

It would have—Custom Menu Function M3—This is the “NOT THAT LENS, *******!” custom function that activates automatically whenever you are about to make an irretrievably stupid lens choice. I would hear this often.

It would definitely have “The Moose Peterson Move.” This would cause the camera to stop and make a beautiful picture out of something you just walked past and didn’t see.

I would attach the blinking highlight warning to an air raid siren.

The grip on the camera would be wired to read my pulse and blood pressure, and it would also have audio sensitivity so that my muttered utterances which currently simply bounce quietly off the lcd and disappear unrecorded into the air are actually duly noted and metered for stress in my voice patterns. If my pulse or BP spikes, or I complain too much about the situation, the light, the time, the fee, or my own ineptitude, a voice from deep within the camera quietly but firmly says, “Remember Joe, you said yes.” Thus admonished, I continue to shoot.

It would have a very selective function button called the “Celebrity Tool.” You could only apply it to certain subjects who have, you know, potential. This would lighten and coif the hair, maybe trim a few pounds, smooth out the skin, automatically turn the photo vertical and slap some appropriate tabloid magazine logo on it, like, you know, “Starrzz with Buzzz!” In a sub-menu of this move would be a variety of add-on or design options:

Insertion of an incredibly cute puppy.

Selection of splashy, eye grabbing pull quotes, such as…”____Speaks! I’m Still Pissed!” Or, “Available Now! Space in My Womb!” Or perhaps an inflamed admission: “_____to _____ : It’s The Bodyguard’s Baby!” Thus packaged, it would then be dispatched wirelessly to your agent who could possibly pass this person off as “the next big thing.”

Right next to the RGB selector in the new color menu would be an autofocus mode called GWB…means the camera will focus on nothing.

I would also request a sports version of this highly advanced picture making machine that would include:

Custom Function “Brett Favre” –An auto function. Whenever you make a good frame, the camera runs around and slaps you on the butt, shouting “Way to Go!” Being whacked on the ass is vastly preferable to what is generally happening back there to most photographers in the current business climate.

The “Plaxico Burress Default Mechanism”–This is a locking device that initiates whenever you have it slung over your shoulder, dangling at your hip. It prevents the camera from accidentally shooting your leg. (Good thing Burress didn’t shoot himself in the ass, he’d have brain damage on top of everything else.)
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Mike that was hilarious.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's nice to see all your thoughts on this.

I agree that doing too much with hardware customization would be ridiculously expensive.

There is, however, enormous potential for software customization.

Okay, so we have a full suite of manual functions and a variety of auto/program functions. How difficult would it be to offer some number of customizable programs for specific situations you encounter frequently, with some kind of quick access to them? Say, a spot on the dial for custom programs, which brings up a menu where you can quickly flip through them (the SW would allow you to give them meaningful names and show you the settings on the LCD). If you find you're using a certain assortment of settings often, you can save that profile to one of those custom program slots.

An additional expansion port (like maybe USB host capability) would be nice for things like a GPS datalogger, bluetooth file transfer capability, and things like that.

PRB

And see, I like learning how to use all the bells and whistles and experimenting with all the features. I wouldn't want to limit myself, ever!
    My love for others is NOT conditional on their meeting my standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935
    Camera manufacturers should offer custom ordered camera's/FW. This way, you get exactly everything you want, and nothing you don't. Also, you pay for only what you want, and nothing you don't.

There may be a few basic bodies to choose from, then you can choose which imaging sensor you want, which lcd, AF module, etc.

Think we'll ever see the day?

Yes, you will - in fact, you already have! Perhaps missed the press release on the RED system...

http://reviews.photographyreview.com...t-dsmc-system/

Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thread Information