ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

US folks - have a happy and healthy...

Megan here.

Just wishing everyone here a safe Thanksgiving.
    In spite of world turmoil, and turmoil within our country, we've got a lot to be thankful for. And not in a snarky, "We're better than everyone else" kind of way.

Megan

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: US folks - have a happy and healthy...

AMEN!
    God Bless!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I'll second that! Drive safe and get FAT!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

I'n not American, but wish all my friends on PR.Com and happy, safe and healthy Thanksgiving celebration.

Question So Pete?

So do you Aussies have a holiday like Thanksgiving?
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

It is a sad day for me, but I will try and enjoy it as much as I can. To all of you out there across the entire PR.com community I wish you a happy and healty Thanksgiving!

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Pete, I know the British have something they call Thanksgiving - it's July 4th! (Yes, that was a joke and told to me by someone from England...).

Happy and safe Thanksgiving to all!

Hang in there Almo!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

We have a celebration in January, it is Australia Day, not sure if that is the equivelant to Thanksgiving. What is the significance of Thanksgiving, I know it is just an excuse to pigout a bit. And all those poor Turkeys around the country, ending up in the ovens.

Almo, take care, often it does help to express sadness and not bottle it up inside. It is part of the healing process.

Peter,

Allegedly Thanksgiving Day was the day that a group of Native Americans came to the first American settlers' camp ("the pilgrims") and shared their food to keep the Pilgrims alive. So we gave thanks.

Then we went and killed them all oops!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

LOL @ walterick.

An amusing way of describing it!

Walterick, very amusing. I think something similar happened here with the Aborigines, but we don't celebrate the fact. But then we don't really look after them that well now apparently.

Australia Day to us I think is pretty much the celebration of our Nation when it dismembered itself from England and became a Commonwealth with it's own Government. But we still have all the airs and graces that were there beforehand, with Parliament, Heads of State, etc, really no change.

Hey Peter

I realize how flippant my last comment sounded

I'm still hoping someone will come in and explain the "true" origins of Thanksgiving.

Oh, and in case I gave a bad impression, we didn't kill the Native "Americans" right after they fed us and saved us from starving that winter...

We drew it out over the next 100 years or so.

Your Australia Day is parallel to our "4th of July" also known as "Independence Day." This one I know a little better It's the day we declared ourselves independent of England (as well!) and wrote the Declaration of Independence, which still stands as a magnificant document today. That occured on July 4th, 1776. We celebrated our country's 200th birthday a few years ago (so young!) It was a while before England recognized us as an independent nation, but it was the beginning of our independence in our own minds and surely the beginnings of the "Cowboy Mentality" for which we are so famous

I love swapping stories.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Rick,

I didn't read it as flippant. I was aware that you were only Joking around about it. Yes your 4th of July is the same, as celebration but ours wasn't as bloody as your independance, we learnt from your mistakes and just cut the ties. I suppose being so far away it was a heck of a lot easier, also many years afterwards as well.

We celebrated our bicentennial in 1988, was a great year, the time that all the worlds tall ships entered Sydney Harbour, what a sight that was, must have been similar to the times of "Cook" entering with his ships as well.

Probably a bit along the lines of the "Boston Tea Party" era as well.

It is great to learn more about other countries and thier traditions etc.

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Early settlers of America were Puritans. Part of the Puritan culture was to have days of Humiliation when things were going poorly (praying to God as humble servants), and then when things got better, they had a day of Thanksgiving (praying to God to thank him for not smiting them). While this did usually involve a community meal, it was more about praying all day than eating all day. There was no particular set day for Thanksgiving and there could be many Thanksgivings during a single year. It was really a day to give thanks to God for getting them through something tough.

One of the reasons we talk about Pilgrims (puritans) and indians on Thanksgiving, is because it was one of the more notable Thanksgivings in early recorded American history. The indians actually provided some sustinence for the early (and totally starving) pilgrims. They did not, however, eat together, as the Pilgrims viewed the indians as heathens, and the original 1621 Thanksgiving lasted three days.

As the country became more colonized and recognizable governments were put in place, Governors would declare colony-wide days of Thanksgiving - communities would put aside work and commune together to give thanks to God. These times became popular in New England, and as pioneers embarked from New England to settle new lands in America, they carried the tradition with them.

Thanksgiving did not become a National Holiday until Abraham Lincoln declared it so during the Civil War. His intention was to bring a nation together for one holiday that was in remembrance of the hardships that early settlers endured to create this country. He placed it on the last Thursday in November to coincide with the landing of the Mayflower in 1621.

Franklin Roosevelt (in 1939) - declared Thanksgiving to be the fourth Thursday in November - the day we now celebrate.

It's interesting to note that throughout our History - National Thanksgiving always comes to the forefront during times of hardship. The settlement, the revolution (Washington declared several national days of thanksgiving), the civil war, and the depression. I guess it's always been a way to bring people together.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Hey Andy!

Well done! Much more reasonable than my facsimile So did you know all of that offhand, or have to do some reading?

Impressive either way, I feel a bit humbled as an American

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Well that is a great explaination Andy. Parts of it I already did know from History lessons at school. It is really interesting that here in Australia, we probably know more about the rest of the World, but ask who our First Priminister was and that becomes a hard one, and it was only 104 years ago, compared to the many centuries that have gone past in regards to other significant times in history happening. At one stage I probably could have listed all the American States off by heart, can't now, but that was the degree that was placed on learning about the rest of the world when I was at school.

Now they teach the strangest things to students, missing the most important things.

I think the significant events in history are very important lessons for anyone to learn about, no matter how long ago they happened, as they still have an impact on us, hundreds of years later, but then that might be because I grew up post WWII, a different time than today.

I would like to hope all my neighbours to the south a happy and healthy thanksgiving. Ours was a month ago and I still do not know why we celebrate it on different days. I have been told it is due to the different harvest seasons!? Anyways, hope all is happy and safe for all your thanksgiving celebrations down there. Cheers!

Hello up there!

Thanks from down here!
    Walter Rick Long

"At one stage I probably could have listed all the American States off by heart..."

That's pretty good Peter. Not being from this country and being able to do that. I don't think most Americans could name all 50. Let alone all the provinces of Australia!

"Now they teach the strangest things to students, missing the most important things."

I think the wisdoms of history should be taught along side the dates, times, names, and events. I believe children should be encouraged to learn "why" we did what we did and be encouraged to come up with their own resolutions to our nation's problems. That would foster critical thinking and prepare the next generation for world leadership.

Anyway, just some odd thoughts at 3 am

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Hi!
    Doesn't Australia have states aswell?

Canada has thanksgiving in October because it isn't as cold hehe
    But thanks to global warming this november was a bit rainy...

Happy yank thanksgiving ;)

Isn't it funny how everyone declared themselves independant of England? Such a tiny nation and such a massive impact. Amazing really. Personally, I blame coal.

Chris

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Let alone all the provinces of Australia!
    Let's see.... Victoria, New South Wales, Northern Australia, Tasmania... Eastern Australia? shoot I just did this map at work last week! As well as mapping Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and a few other cities there and in New Zealand [those Maori names are something else] today.

My mind is a sieve!

Megan

Thread Information