New T-Shirt Ideas

Printable View

• 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
    Photo-John
    New T-Shirt Ideas
    There's been some recent discussion about PhotographyREVIEW.com T-shirts. The old ones are now collector's items. And we've changed the logo since that shirt was made. So it's time for a new one. Let's do it right.

If you've got a good idea, make a T-shirt design and post it here. It has to incorporate the PhotographyREVIEW.com logo. And I'd like to see it somehow embrace both the whole field of photography and digital. That's tough, I think. I haven't had any ideas - that's part of the reason we haven't made a new T-shirt.

We'll let the community decide which design is best. If you're design gets chosen, you'll get a free shirt and I'll throw in a $50 gift certificate for B&H. How does that sound?

So watcha got? Entertain me :D
  • 02-09-2006, 11:18 PM
    Skyman
    Re: New T-Shirt Ideas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John

perfect timing i am taking a course to learn illustrator starting tuesday!
    do you have the pr logo/s (i am sure there is more than 1) as an eps file? can you send them to me or maybe post them here:
    <a href="http://www.logotypes.ru/default_e.asp">http://www.logotypes.ru/default_e.asp</a>
  • 02-10-2006, 06:15 AM
    Asylum Steve
    Ok, chief, I'll get on it right away! :cool:
  • 02-11-2006, 06:19 AM
    SmartWombat
    Nice idea John, the B&H voucher is of little use to me, how about a collector's item original T-shirt?
    Oh, that's assuming I win I suppose :D

Is it the design that counts, not producing finished artwork?
    Or should we actually produce the image?
  • 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    the B&H voucher is of little use to me

I'm sure we can come up with a B&H equivalent if the most popular design comes from outside North America. Unfortunately, unless you can wear a small T-shirt, there aren't any left. I only have a couple and they're for tiny people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Is it the design that counts, not producing finished artwork?

Yeah - it's just the design that matters. The final artwork can be produced in-house. Plus, that makes it possible for everyone to participate.
  • 02-13-2006, 08:31 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Logo Art
    Per skyman's request, here's some logo art. I'm not gonna give out the EPS files because not everyone would know what to do with them and they aren't really necessary. We don't need a finished, ready to print, piece. We just need a good design. We'll have one of our in-house people get it ready to print.

So where are the T-shirt designs, anyway?!!? I'm surprised we haven't already seen a few.
  • 02-13-2006, 11:22 PM
    opus
    Re: Logo Art
    I want to post a design but I don't really have time to comp it out. Can I just describe it to you? :)

Actually, I'll try to get to it this weekend.
  • 02-15-2006, 12:09 AM
    gahspidy
    Re: Logo Art
    John, I certainly would like to buy a tee-shirt when it is ready, as I have benefited alot from this site and find it to be one of the better ones on the web.Personally, of the two logos you posted I find i like the one on the bottom best. It seems to have a more polished, professional look about it.
  • 02-15-2006, 01:08 AM
    Photo-John
    The new T-shirt will be designed and chosen by the community. The logos are for people to use when making T-shirt designs. Feel free to make a design and participate. And when we have a design, you can buy one :)
  • 02-15-2006, 02:26 PM
    SmartWombat
    You've seen my photo - tiny I am not !!

I'm stuck on "Matrix Metering" or "Colour Matrix" because probably the most well known digital image is that cascading green display from The Matrix. I think it's a dead end though, because despite seeing very similar screens in adverts there are probably copyright issues we'd fall foul of.

Back to the (virtual) drawing board ...
  • 02-15-2006, 04:02 PM
    almo
    Quote:

There's been some recent discussion about PhotographyREVIEW.com T-shirts. The old ones are now collector's items. And we've changed the logo since that shirt was made. So it's time for a new one. Let's do it right.

If you've got a good idea, make a T-shirt design and post it here. It has to incorporate the PhotographyREVIEW.com logo. And I'd like to see it somehow embrace both the whole field of photography and digital. That's tough, I think. I haven't had any ideas - that's part of the reason we haven't made a new T-shirt.

We'll let the community decide which design is best. If you're design gets chosen, you'll get a free shirt and I'll throw in a $50 gift certificate for B&H. How does that sound?

Well, I don't expect anyone will really care for my design, but here it is anyway.

I have a thing for simplisity. So i tried to think of what I would like to have on a T-shirt I would want to wear.

Shirt
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t-prdotcom.jpg

Logo
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ttachment9.jpg
  • 02-15-2006, 04:40 PM
    Photo-John
    Finally!
    Thanks, John. We finally have a design. So far this is the winner :rolleyes:

That's not a dig at you, almo. I'm just amazed that it took this long to just get one design.

No need to be a perfectionist! I know you guys have ideas. Let's see them!
  • 02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
    almo
    Re: Finally!
    Quote:

Thanks, John. We finally have a design. So far this is the winner :rolleyes:

That's not a dig at you, almo. I'm just amazed that it took this long to just get one design.

No need to be a perfectionist! I know you guys have ideas. Let's see them!

Thanks Jhonny....I think:p

I just found this tread a few hours ago. I made my shirt just after reading it.
  • 02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
    payn817
    I like that faded logo, but not the border.
  • 02-15-2006, 06:05 PM
    SmartWombat
    Re: Finally!
    Colour or monochrome?
  • 02-15-2006, 07:40 PM
    Skyman
    Feeling guilty that i haven't posted anything yet here are my offerings:
    I like the classic Polo better than a T and for the winter months the long sleeve (with the aperture blades on the back) i didn;t want to stray to far from the brief but like the idea of having a slogan on the back (rather than the logo)
  • 02-15-2006, 08:53 PM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    C'mon Now!
    Either you guys are a little gunshy or you just don't quite know how to do this. This is a visual jam session. Start jumping in and showing us what you've got. Don't worry about whether it's appropriate, good quality, silly, etc. Just get in there and start playing. This is a creative group. Let it flow.

I don't qualify and we won't use one of my designs. But here's one I just busted out in about half an hour. I had the idea, took a quick picture, and voila! Let's see what you can do.
  • 02-15-2006, 09:07 PM
    almo
    Re: C'mon Now!
    You totally nabbed my shirt....:p

Yeah I did! And I did a crappy job of it, too :) But that's sort of the point. I'm guessing everyone is being too much of a perfectionist. I know people have ideas. And there are great artists and photographers here. So what's up? Let's see some of those ideas. Quick and dirty! We can polish them up later. Right now we want to get the ideas flowing.
  • 02-15-2006, 09:08 PM
    Axle
    I'm working on something....but I have a weekend that I'm working on planing also...so things get a little tied up.
  • 02-15-2006, 09:17 PM
    Photo-John
    Whoops
    Quote:

Originally Posted by almo
    You totally nabbed my shirt....:p

Yeah I did! And I did a crappy job of it, too :) But that's sort of the point. I'm guessing everyone is being too much of a perfectionist. I know people have ideas. And there are great artists and photographers here. So what's up? Let's see some of those ideas. Quick and dirty! We can polish them up later. Right now we want to get the ideas flowing.

Almo-
    I pressed the wrong button and edited your post instead of quoting it. I'm sorry. It's late and I've got too much coffee and no dinner in me. Where's the idiot smiley?
  • 02-15-2006, 09:34 PM
    almo
    Re: Whoops
    Quote:

Almo-
    I pressed the wrong button and edited your post instead of quoting it. I'm sorry. It's late and I've got too much coffee and no dinner in me. Where's the idiot smiley?

HAHA! I was wondering about that....lol :p:p:p
  • 02-15-2006, 10:05 PM
    walterick
    Re: C'mon Now!
    Hey you all.

I am all about brainstorming ideas and getting creative. Unfortunately, I have no inspirations for this project yet. But it's somewhere in my occipital lobe being worked on by my subconscious.
  • 02-16-2006, 01:46 AM
    payn817
    Does the logo have to remain basically the same idea?
  • 02-17-2006, 03:10 PM
    SmartWombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    do it in colour ...
  • 02-17-2006, 03:25 PM
    SmartWombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    for when you go out without a camera ...
  • 02-17-2006, 03:30 PM
    SmartWombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    Perhaps too complex?

The 35mm film flows out of the can, the 1s and 0s flow out of the memory card
    Then the image (perhaps a nice landscape) is split into 5 zones.
    Mirroring each other about the centre (no thirds here!) where it's made up of 1 and 0 in various sizes and colours as needed to fool the eye into seeing the image.
    To the left merging into impressionist (pointilism?) and merging into high res.
    To the right merging into blocky pixelated which gets higher and higher res.

Logo anywhere you like underneath the image.

Stuck for a strapline though - I loved "the f stops here" can we just keep that?

edit: another thought, put the logo on the 35mm can and the emmory cary - suitably warped to match surface ...
  • 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
    SmartWombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    PR.Com through and through ...
  • 02-17-2006, 04:01 PM
    SmartWombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    caption below picture "image conscious"
  • 02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
    SmartWombat
    2 Attachment(s)
    we cover the world ...

I like the globe idea for the forum, a fun page with an animated spinning globe with the sqaure element of the logo for where members are - sort of loosely anyhow.
    So we can highlight the geographic spread of members.

No, I'm not volunteering to write that bit of software !
  • 02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
    LeeIs
    I second the call for the Illustrator EPS file. That makes it so much easier.

Anyways, here's my first submission. :D I'm just warming up ;)

Front & Back Btw.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/720/tshirt15et.jpg
  • 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
    LeeIs
    I posted a tshirt that was supposed to be at the end but it jumped up here. I tried to delete this post but couldn't figure it out. Please delete it.
  • 02-17-2006, 08:59 PM
    LeeIs
  • 02-17-2006, 09:00 PM
    LeeIs
    I like this one best so far :D not sure about using "Nikon" though, but that could always be taken out.

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/4708/tshirt47gl.jpg
  • 02-17-2006, 09:10 PM
    LeeIs
    slight variation to the one above. Making the logo more part of the Cam.

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/5843/tshirt59xd.jpg
  • 02-17-2006, 09:16 PM
    opus
    1 Attachment(s)
    OK, here's my idea, with text stating what I envision, which I was unable to do in Illustrator since I couldn't place anything behind the logo layer.

(I thought maybe the "photograph" could be of a camera, perhaps in duotone if color is an issue. And I see it possibly somewhat transparent behind the logo so that the logo shines through.)
  • 02-17-2006, 09:18 PM
    almo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeIs
    I like this one best so far :D not sure about using "Nikon" though, but that could always be taken out.

That is great, except for that toy camera.
  • 02-17-2006, 09:58 PM
    opus
    1 Attachment(s)
    OK, I did a little more work in photoshop on this. This is, of course, an approximation of the look. The photo would be customized to the company, of course.
  • 02-17-2006, 10:01 PM
    opus
    oooh, oooh, one more idea! YOu could add the little negative "slits" under the photo, to represent film. Maybe even put the little symbols and numbers in. You could do that in orange.

So basically my idea is for pixels to morph into a photo which morphs into a negative at the edges. Or in some other way implies film. (Maybe photo corners, like in the old-fashioned photo albums?)
  • 02-17-2006, 10:44 PM
    swmdrayfan
    This one's pretty pedestrian, but here goes:
    John

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ed/t-shirt.jpg
  • 02-18-2006, 07:37 AM
    swmdrayfan