ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Washington DC - weekend getaway

Over the weekend I used a previously bought airline ticket to visit a good friend in DC. Didn't have much time to see the sights since my time was limited, and he had dad patrol of two little ones.

The little time that we had to see the city, I really liked it. Except for the alien type bug that is from another planet. Every 17 years these bugs come up from the ground to breed. There are millions of them around. The noise is increbile and you would think it was a mating call from a alien species.

Here are some pics, but I didn't do as much photography as I would've liked. These are quick edits, with some playing around with the b&w. All photos taken with the 10D with 16-35.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Washington DC - weekend getaway-crw_1551_bw.jpg   Washington DC - weekend getaway-crw_1559_web.jpg   Washington DC - weekend getaway-crw_1580.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

I love DC. Not to mention that I have a very cute friend there, this place is full of tourists that can make any photographer's day

Nice Shots Loren!

Quote Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Over the weekend I used a previously bought airline ticket to visit a good friend in DC. Didn't have much time to see the sights since my time was limited, and he had dad patrol of two little ones.

The little time that we had to see the city, I really liked it. Except for the alien type bug that is from another planet. Every 17 years these bugs come up from the ground to breed. There are millions of them around. The noise is increbile and you would think it was a mating call from a alien species.

Here are some pics, but I didn't do as much photography as I would've liked. These are quick edits, with some playing around with the b&w. All photos taken with the 10D with 16-35.

Loren
    The Washington Monument is really cool in B&W. And the full-color roses in the Lincoln Memorial shot is an awesome touch. It's the little details that count. Of course, the shot of the boy with the sunglasses is great. He looks like he was having a good time. Glad to got a chance to visit with you friend.

Alien bugs, huh? :-) I'm surprised they haven't come out here yet. And it's killing me that I can't remember their name! It'll probably come to me about 2 am tonight.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Cicadas

Yes, Loren you happened to be here during their peak weekend! They're nasty little thigns that come out every 17 years as you said and generally are just a pest. They don't bite (don't even have mouths!) don't sting just reemerge, mate, then bury themselves and wait for the next 17 years.

You can tell which neighborhoods are newer than 17 years old because they don't have cicadas right now!

Nice shots of the capital city. I love the little kid!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Great shots of the monuments. If you walked by some crazy people playing soccer on the mall, and near the FDR, in that heat on Saturday, you might have seen me.

Those "alien bugs" are cicadas. I don't have any at my house (it's too new), but my mom's hostas are covered with their shells. I'll try to get a couple of shots of them this evening to share with those of you that don't get to experience the funky little critters.

Ack! I've read about those

Our area is more than 17 yrs old. Should I be expecting them?

I really like the first shot. That's something I've always wanted to see.

adina

Cicada info

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Our area is more than 17 yrs old. Should I be expecting them?
    Sorry to get off topic, but wanted to answer adina's question...
    I've included a link to a map of this brood of cicadas. You probably won't see any in Wisconsin.
    http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magici...al/BroodX.html
    And if you want to learn more about them, here's another link:
    http://www.ento.vt.edu/Fruitfiles/cicada.html

OK, back to the Washington DC pics... sorry!!!

Thank goodness

Don't think I could handle giant alien bugs coming up out of the ground. I'd have spent the summer locked in the basement.

adina

Hi Loren,

I really like the first shot. Would love to see it in color. The kid is kinda cute too.

Ray

Loren,

Nice job with the B&W conversion on the first shot. Great separation between sky and clouds. It almost looks like you shot it with a red filter on film.

Also, like the fact you didn't shoot the Lincoln Monument straight on. Have seen that shot a million times.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Ray..Thanks and here is the color shot

Quote Originally Posted by schrackman
    Hi Loren,

I really like the first shot. Would love to see it in color. The kid is kinda cute too.

Ray
    The weather was very hazy and not great for photography. With the high humidity, it was a disaster for color unless you had a polarizer. Didn't bring it since I wasn't planning on doing much shooting.

Thanks for the comments!!

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Washington DC - weekend getaway-crw_1551.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thanks Everybody

I just got back a couple of hours ago from DC, and it was a great city. I want to go back again soon.

Here is another pic that all future governments should read. It was from the WW2 memorial and very profound.

Loren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Washington DC - weekend getaway-crw_1578.jpg  
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

Good shots all, Loren. The skin tones on the baby in #3 are some of the best I've seen. Beautiful.

Liz

Enjoyable......

I enjoyed viewing your pics. I love the first one (better in b&w). I also agree about the G. Marshall quote. Thanks for posting it.

Liz

Here is another pic that all future governments should read. It was from the WW2 memorial and very profound.

Loren[/QUOTE]

Thread Information