ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: New Lens!!!

New Lens!!!

I came into a little bit of money recently, and after weighing all my options, and giving due consideration to all of the responsible things I should do with it, of course I ordered a new lens...:thumbsup:

It is a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM!

I love it. However, I have not had a lot of chance to use it, due to rain and time constraints. I did manage a few shots, as well as a IS/Non-IS Test.

It has awesome close focusing capabilities...

The IS rocks!

And the test...
    Last edited by almo; 02-03-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: New Lens!!!

I love the tone of these images.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Congrats on the new purchase John. I have heard lots of good things about that lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Congratulations Almo! New gear is always wonderful to have. Have fun playing with it, and defiinitely share more photo's taken with it.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

I think you did the right thing ! That first image is gorgeous - what's the minimum focussing distance on the lens?

'Scuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard...

Nothing like getting new gear! Looks like you made a great choice in a lens. I got my first VR lens back in November and have a a ball with it. It sure can make a difference.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

. . . new is always nice, quite a difference IS vs. non-IS, looks like a keeper ! :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Congratulations on your new big-boy lens. My little Johnny is all growed up!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Nice!!! :thumbsup:

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Congrats! That is my favorite zoom - ever.

I'm always surprised and impressed just how sharp that lens is. It is "prime sharp".

Excellent choice.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Congratulations on your new big-boy lens. My little Johnny is all growed up!
    Thanks!

It was bound to happen some time...

However, I should point out that I already owned the 100-400L IS and the 70-200 f/4L, and a sigma 17-35mm EX DG HSM, so the 24-105 is in good company!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Nothing like getting new gear! Looks like you made a great choice in a lens. I got my first VR lens back in November and have a a ball with it. It sure can make a difference.
    I am loving this lens. I played for a bit with one of my extension tubes on it and I am now kicking myself for not buying this lens over the 100-400L a few months back. I actually sold the 100-400 because I found I wasn't using it like I thought I would. I actually just had a discussion with Gary about how my photographic tastes have been shifting in the last few years, and while that was an awesome lens, at this point in time it just didn't really suit me all that well. I found myself using my 70-200 or 17-35 and wishing I had a realy nice middle ground lens. I considered the 24-70L, but in the end, the IS and the extra reach pushed me to the 24-105.

Quote Originally Posted by Alison
    Nice!!! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Congratulations Almo! New gear is always wonderful to have. Have fun playing with it, and defiinitely share more photo's taken with it.
    Thanks!

I think that is something ya'll will defineitly be seeing from me!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Nice Almo. I've heard nothing but good things about that lense. I really like that first photo!! I'm looking forward to seeing some new photos taken with it!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Nice Almo. I've heard nothing but good things about that lense. I really like that first photo!! I'm looking forward to seeing some new photos taken with it!
    I have heard some complaining about the bokeh not being all that great, and even a few decrying that it does not deserve an L badge because of it. Honestly though, most of these people are comparing it to the 85mm f/1.2L. I mean, how ludicrous is that?

In the first place, to compare a zoom to a prime in that way is ignorant, and secondly, comparing f/4 to f/1.2 for OOF areas in a photograph is like comparing a .9mm to a .45mm for stopping power.

Anyway, I think it's a wonderful lens, I have no complaints. I will admit the bokeh on my 70-200 f/4 is a bit better, but what I have seen from this lens is pretty good too. Some people just can't be happy with anything.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    I have heard some complaining about the bokeh not being all that great, and even a few decrying that it does not deserve an L badge because of it. Honestly though, most of these people are comparing it to the 85mm f/1.2L. I mean, how ludicrous is that?

In the first place, to compare a zoom to a prime in that way is ignorant, and secondly, comparing f/4 to f/1.2 for OOF areas in a photograph is like comparing a .9mm to a .45mm for stopping power.

Anyway, I think it's a wonderful lens, I have no complaints. I will admit the bokeh on my 70-200 f/4 is a bit better, but what I have seen from this lens is pretty good too. Some people just can't be happy with anything.

Thanks!
    Ha! I love your comparison to the 9mm to the .45 cal! I've never understood why people insist on comparing apples to oranges. If you decide to fall into that group, I'd be happy to take the lense and "suffer" with it's bokeh.
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Ha! I love your comparison to the 9mm to the .45 cal! I've never understood why people insist on comparing apples to oranges. If you decide to fall into that group, I'd be happy to take the lense and "suffer" with it's bokeh.
    I think I can suffer the slings and arrows of the "lesser" bokeh just fine. Shoot, just last June, the month before I got my first L lens, I was shooting with a Sigma 28-300mm that, while outwardly resembling an L lens with it's red stripe , left me feeling like it was time to throw in the photographic towel and give up. I believed I would never have the kind of equipment I saw he other guys with. It was really draging me down. But I think I will be just fine with this lens. I don't see it going anywhere...:thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I played around with one of my tubes and my new lens on my lunch break. I had to do it in my truck, because it was windy and the security guards on campus tend to frown on my big camera. Both shots are handheld.

Canon EOS 30D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, Kenko 20mm AF DG Extension Tube...

f/13, 1/200, 105mm

f/22, 1/160, 105mm
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Almo it looks like you are enjoying it!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Almo it looks like you are enjoying it!
    JB
    Yes!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ok, last two for the new lens thread.

Just took these two.

First is my classic "rip your face off" look...

And the many anglels of my new lens
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Congrats on your news lens!

I own it and love it.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Congrats on your news lens!

I own it and love it.
    Thanks!

I have read a lot from people that want to, or have sold off their 24-70L's after getting this lens because of the overlap. As a person that has both, could you give the reasons one might want to have both, besides the f/2.8 vs f/4 argument?
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information