ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Have you guys (and gals) heard of this guy?

http://www.animalu.com/pics/photos.htm

I ran across this site looking for different photographers websites. I really like this guys photos and was wondering what you guys thought.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Interesting!

His images are gorgeous - he's attracted to texture like I am, except he's *much* more successful at capturing it. I looked at several of his galleries. It's really cool that he posted his process; I found that surprising, actually, but that means he's confident! It's funny, though, I still find a harshness to digital B&W that makes it hard for me to look at. Maybe it's because his images are so high contrast, but other people's affect me the same way. And that's even more interesting because he doesn't shoot in B&W mode, he shoots color then converts it. Go figure. Thanks for sharing!

Megan

How odd...

I replied to this thread yesterday shortly after it was started, but for some odd reason it didn't show up...

I really like this guy's hight contrast style. He has a great eye. I also think it's pretty cool that most of his photos were shot within 3 hours of my house and that I've been to many of the sites photographed.

Thanks for sharing this guy with us!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

I live in the mojave desert. I think one of his photos were taken in a neighboring city! I found it inpiring to see how dramatic you can make an otherwise plain looking scene appear. I also like the high contrast look of his work.

Interesting

I found his process page very interesting. Thanks for posting the link to his site.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    http://www.animalu.com/pics/photos.htm

I ran across this site looking for different photographers websites. I really like this guys photos and was wondering what you guys thought.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I agree...

about most everything you said. Lovely eye for texture and contrast, some very striking images in there. BUT I don't care for the "over-contrasted" look of some of them. I get that look on my pictures by accident when I leave the "contrast" selection tool up too high I also don't care for the look of digital black and white. His landscapes are also much more appealing to me that his street shots.

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I tried his process...

I tried his process using a photo that I took with the Holga with the color film, but thought I was taking with the Holga with B&W. I did a quick scan from the contact sheet, and did some quick and dirty photoshopping. Desclaimer: this is nowhere near the quality of his work, I'm just playing around in photoshop while it's a little slow at the job. I didn't mask where I should have for dodging and burning - so it's sloppy! But I wanted to try his process. I think it's the process that gives his images the harshness. I wish I could see the actual prints, but alas - not possible to travel to whereever his show is. Without further ado - here are my Holga photos, before and after following his steps. I acheived a similar contrast and harshness, I think!

Megan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information