ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Unhappy Photography Collection Book

Hi - hope someone can help me as this is driving me mad!

I remember coming across a collection of famous photographs from the 20th century - only the photo itself was missing, there was simply a title of the image along the bottom of the blank pages. No royalty fee needed and because the images were so well know you knew the picture immediately.

Does anybody have even the vaguest notion of what I'm talking about or am I being too obscure?

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

A little confused!

Sometimes older art books used lithographed plates and glued them onto a page. When I worked at the Pratt library, some of the older art and photography books were like this - and unfortunately, students previous to me had torn the plate out of the book for themselves, leaving a blank page with only the title and artist name. Unfortunately, beyond that, I don't think I can help you! Having worked in the library so long, [but over 10 years ago] I have a familiarity with some of the older books though - if you've got more info, definitely post it, and I'll do a boolian search on my brain. Was it a book of Native Americans? Or was it more of a Family of Man type book?

Megan

Thanks for the reply Megan but I don't think I made myself totally clear.

The book itself was intentionally printed with no photos at all but with only title of the image along the bottom of the page - for example: "Neil Armstrong on the moon" or "Man with shopping bags, Tianamen Square", you know the photo immediately as they were such well known images.

Not sure if was predominately a European/British design oriented concept book.

Thread Information