ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

My NEW dream set up. What's yours?

As with all hobbies I find myself lusting over new toys. So last night I sat down with my B&H source book. (why did they ahve to send me that devilish beast!) And the Review section pulled up on my laptop. Here is what I came up with:

Canon 10D /w 1GB CF

I enjoy landscapes and action photography. and I thought I could get away with the Drebal, but I've seen the light of the focusing power of the 10D. plus this is a dream right?

plus a 420EX speedlight, unless I loose the hish-speed synchro function then I'd upgrade to the 550EX.

Now lenses:

The pracial side of me filtered out the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8/4.5 Aspherical IF af. but then I thought if I really want to tke full advantage of the fast auto focus I need a USM lense, so I found the Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5/4.5 USM. as my starter lens.

The next dream is to save up for a fast wide angle prime. something in the 15mm range. but man those little gems are pricey!

Then down the road find a good tele in the 200 to 300 mm range.

So there's my current dream. What's yours?

please this is not meant as brand war, just what is the current gear you're dreaming about

Vintage iron and wide glass

Koni Omega with 220 magazine and 58mm Hexanon lens.
    And then a Cambo Wide with a 47mm Schneider w/ Copal 0 shutter.
    And then of course some swedish steel: Hasselblad 503CW with a wide range of lenses.
    And then....
    And then.........Oh I almost forgot, my very own Epson 7600 printer.

SJ

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Angry

I know how you feel. I too was in the same situation a few months back. I was absolutely drooling over the 10D and I just couldn't take it any longer, so I bought it. But its only a part of my 'dream'. I have been seriously wanting a long L lens, esp. with the digital 1.6x factor, and have been checking out Canon's 100-400 IS for a long time. I'd really like to get a good wildlife IS lens. Next, I also want a good wide angle lens, and been looking into Canon's 17-40 L lens.

I have a 550ex, 420ex flash, and the 10D. Now I just need (want) those darn L lenses!

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    I know how you feel. I too was in the same situation a few months back. I was absolutely drooling over the 10D and I just couldn't take it any longer, so I bought it. But its only a part of my 'dream'. I have been seriously wanting a long L lens, esp. with the digital 1.6x factor, and have been checking out Canon's 100-400 IS for a long time. I'd really like to get a good wildlife IS lens. Next, I also want a good wide angle lens, and been looking into Canon's 17-40 L lens.

I have a 550ex, 420ex flash, and the 10D. Now I just need (want) those darn L lenses!

Kathy
    Kathy,

Picked up the 17-40L last weekend. phenomenal lens, incredibly sharp at the wide end, contrasty, resistant to flare, great handling and balance, weather sealed, and built like a tank. It is pretty much my "normal" lens...
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Believe it or not, I am totally satisfied with where I'm at with my gear and have had no lustings for any of the latest-greatest that is coming out. I've gone through lots of gear and am now in a "happy place" with the Leica M6, Contax G2, and the D100.

Wink What's The Character Limit Here?!

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    As with all hobbies I find myself lusting over new toys. So last night I sat down with my B&H source book. (why did they ahve to send me that devilish beast!) And the Review section pulled up on my laptop. Here is what I came up with:

Canon 10D /w 1GB CF

I enjoy landscapes and action photography. and I thought I could get away with the Drebal, but I've seen the light of the focusing power of the 10D. plus this is a dream right?

plus a 420EX speedlight, unless I loose the hish-speed synchro function then I'd upgrade to the 550EX.

Now lenses:

The pracial side of me filtered out the Sigma 24-135mm f2.8/4.5 Aspherical IF af. but then I thought if I really want to tke full advantage of the fast auto focus I need a USM lense, so I found the Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5/4.5 USM. as my starter lens.

The next dream is to save up for a fast wide angle prime. something in the 15mm range. but man those little gems are pricey!

Then down the road find a good tele in the 200 to 300 mm range.

So there's my current dream. What's yours?

please this is not meant as brand war, just what is the current gear you're dreaming about
    Start with a Nikon F5. Add the 28-70mm f2.8 AFS lens, the 70-200mm f2.8 AFS-VR lens, and top it off with the SB-800DX Speedlight and we're off to a real good start.

Since we're dreaming here, go ahead and add the 300mm f2.8, the 400mm f2.8, the 500mm f2.8, and of course, matched 1.4 and 2.0 tele-converters.

Of course I'd have to have a Lowepro Photo Trekker AWII backpack, and another Bogen Tripod with another ball head. And let's not forget warming and polarizing filters for the above mentioned lenses. That should pretty well do it for me! :-O
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Dreaming on...

I'm *really* wanting the Horizon lanscape camera [see lomo.com.]

I also want the Hasselblad landscape camera, but the cost right now is prohibitive.

Oh yeah, and the neat red regular Hasselblad. Yummy.

The Action Sampler with flash is also on my list [again, see http://www.lomo.com]

I want some nice studio lights, but not sure which ones I'm going to get yet....

and the Epson 2200 is something I'm drooling over. Maybe I'll actually get a raise by the time I'm 40. Heh, I'm more likely to win the lottery.

Megan
    "But I'm not bitter, not at all...."

All I want...

...is a 16 megapixel digital back that would fit both my Rollei 6008i and Contax 645. Well, perhaps Canon 1.4/24 L. Since Kyocera is not coming out with new Contax N-mount lenses and a body any time soon, I would be all set for now

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Dude...

So, you thought you could sneak in here using your REAL name, eh? Pretty clever...

Good to see you made it back here. Three questions. How do I get an autographed copy of your book? Is your "promotional tour" going to bring you down to Florida?

And, most importantly, when are you going to post again in the Lighting Forum???

The book looks fantastic. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Irakly Shanidze
    ...is a 16 megapixel digital back that would fit both my Rollei 6008i and Contax 645. Well, perhaps Canon 1.4/24 L. Since Kyocera is not coming out with new Contax N-mount lenses and a body any time soon, I would be all set for now
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Irakly...

WHERE CAN I GET YOUR BOOK? I'm 25, will I have to show ID to be able to buy it...?

Great to see you around again, hope it will be more often.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Three answers :)

Reputation precedes me, heh...

Answer one: it is so bloody easy! I will sign it
    Answer two: I am not sure about a promotional tour, but something will DEFINITELY bring me to Florida, and you will be first to know when.
    Answer three: How about tonight?

Irakly a.k.a. Austin Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    So, you thought you could sneak in here using your REAL name, eh? Pretty clever...

Good to see you made it back here. Three questions. How do I get an autographed copy of your book? Is your "promotional tour" going to bring you down to Florida?

And, most importantly, when are you going to post again in the Lighting Forum???

The book looks fantastic. Good luck with it!

Seb - you're 25 - 25 what??

Back to the topic - I guess I'm a little like Charles. I'd really like to add a wide lens for my DSLR like the 12-24 zoom, but other than that I'm in pretty good shape. Sure, there's stuff I'd like to have but what I've got suits my needs pretty well. If I have to pick something - how about two extra weeks paid vacation!!

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Kathy,

Picked up the 17-40L last weekend. phenomenal lens, incredibly sharp at the wide end, contrasty, resistant to flare, great handling and balance, weather sealed, and built like a tank. It is pretty much my "normal" lens...

Seb - Thanks for your insight! I'll probably end up getting this lens for my Corvette Car Club group photo (4-11-04) It would probably do well with group people portrait shots as well!

I do believe that its well worth the price - the reviews here on that lens are pretty good. OK where's my credit card?

Kathy

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Dreaming...

Since we are dreaming..
    I would want to have the best of both worlds..
    An F5(maybe even two)and one or all of the Nikon digital SLRs.
    Would want the SB-80dx(which I do own)
    Lens wise..
    The 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S, and fisheye too, as much as I'd want the Nikon one, I'd settle for the Sigma one, nearly as good and a lot cheaper.
    Gotta have a 24 and maybe even a 20 as well.
    Then, I'd go with a 105 then a 180(which I own as well, along with the 24mm).
    And last but not least a 300 f/2.8, but would be just as happy with the f/4.
    I would a the 1.4 teleconverter too.
    I would also have to have a few more Holgas too. I have two already.
    Nikon and Holga! What great combination!!

Have fun with your new oufit Bri!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    nothing too expensive

pentax 67II w/800f5.6, 300F4 ED,75F4.5 shift,50-100 F4.5, 35F4.5
    600f4 IS, 200f1.8L,10D,1Ds,1DmkII, 180 f3.5 macro, MPE65, 85f1.2, 400f2.8IS, 70-200IS, 1.4xII, 2xII, 24 f3.5L tilt shift, 90 f2.8 tilt shift, 16-35L., 300F2.8IS, 3 more 550EX's

FOREST GREEN TAHOE w/ a huge moonroof

gitzo 1538/whimberly, 1348/B1G/SIDEKICK

winning powerball ticket for my "photo safaris"

not too far out of reach??

i'd settle for a new 1G card though
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Christy Brinkley

holding the world's first (and only - there was only enough money in the world to make one!) New Hybrid Film-DigiSLR.

This beauty features (but is not limited to):

- A regular film compartment which adapts to 35mm, 120, 220, 4x5 and 5x7 film. Don't ask how. It was expensive.

- A full-frame CCD which records the image onto a 40-gig internal hardrive JUST BEFORE the mirror flips up and records the same image onto film. The whole process occurs at the speed of light, therefor there is no discrepancy between film image and digital. This is made possible using a high-tech version of photon-induced mechanics (PIMs) that I could share with you about but would then have to kill you. (and I own a Hybrid Digi-Film SLR so I'd get off scott-free!)

- The world's first 8-800 fixed f 1.0 tele-wide circular fisheye-to-telephoto zoom lens wich is the brain child of collaboraters Nikon and Carl Zeiss. And NASA (they donated the Hubble to the project)

- A mac truck to use as a tripod and carry the lens (and Christie) around in.

- A million body guards to protect it all.

Hey, I dream big

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Ive only had my camera 2 months, and I just got a new bike, so I am completely satisfied with both of my major hobby set ups.

Serious reply

I would like a digital SLR that had the following properties :

- looks like the D2H
    - gives results like medium format (the new Kodak DCS give you an idea)
    - goes all the way up to 1600 ISO
    - doesn't burn out the highlights in harsh light
    - costs not more than $1000

That would be useful.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with what I've got (which is lots). Sometimes I wish I had a Leica M6 instead of my M4P because it's really slow using a hand-held meter, but strangely enough, taking my time over it seems to improve the result.

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    but strangely enough, taking my time over it seems to improve the result.

Charles
    Great quote, Charles. This could apply with any camera system - thanks for the reminder! DSLR's are getting better all the time, the biggest problem currently with your list is the last point, but probably sooner than later...

Thread Information