ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

So many choices...

I've been looking up filter prices (specifically red enhancing filter prices) and have noticed huge differences between the various brands. Tiffin, Hoya, B+W, and several more....what's a guy to do...especially a poor college student. Have any of you noticed huge quality differences. Do you think tiffin is worth the extra cost. What's your take on the whole name brand v. not so popular name brand wars? Any help would be greaty appreciated. As I've said I'm a poor college kid but don't mind spending money on something worth the money. I just wanna make sure I'm getting the best I can for the money I'm going to be spending.
    Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by JTurner538
    I've been looking up filter prices (specifically red enhancing filter prices) and have noticed huge differences between the various brands. Tiffin, Hoya, B+W, and several more....what's a guy to do...especially a poor college student. Have any of you noticed huge quality differences. Do you think tiffin is worth the extra cost. What's your take on the whole name brand v. not so popular name brand wars? Any help would be greaty appreciated. As I've said I'm a poor college kid but don't mind spending money on something worth the money. I just wanna make sure I'm getting the best I can for the money I'm going to be spending.
    Thanks,
    Justin
    Justin, I buy all my filters at a used camera store. You would be surprised at the price difference, more than half. I'm very picky about condition too, and they are just like new. make sure that the store lets you return if you find a flaw but I've never been burned. It sounds like you shoot infrared and so do I. I bought all my IR filters at that used store and have never been sorry. The prices new are outrageous.
    Kit

Well my first filtes were the cokin filter system. Relatively cheap, but good filters. Then I upgraded to the Pro4 filter system, but that is more for portraits and weddings.

Thread Information