ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Mushroom house?

GB1

Mushroom house?

Right on the beach here in San Diego (the La Jolla area). It's a private residence, but friends who frequent that beach area say they've never seen any lights on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mushroom house?-img_0086_px800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Mushroom house?

wow...interesting house (and shot)
    Do they have a driveway?
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

That's crazy! Really awesome. And yea, they probably have a driveway above the cliff (there's an elevator shaft there, that takes them down to the house)

Liz

Great shot - very interesting subject. I'd love to see the inside of the "mushroom house."

Liz

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Its all wrong!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

From online:

"The Mushroom House in the Black’s Beach area of La Jolla, California is one of those landscape features that you just get used to if you live nearby, but if you’re seeing it for the first time it strikes you as incredibly strange. Designed by Dale Naegle in the 1960s, the house was built for Sam Bell of Bell’s Potato Chips. The unusual design of the house was meant to withstand earthquakes and inclement weather, all while looking futuristic…well, futuristic for 1968, anyway."

I haven't been to the top of the cliff there. I'm betting it's a private road with fence.

Think about the logistics and construction:

- There must be deep support pillars in the sand to support the high (unstable) platform.
    - They must have poured the concrete from above, for I can't see them driving a heavy concrete truck out there even at low tide as the weight would sink it into the sand.
    - The water and electricity must come from above along the elevator line.
    - They must have a holding tank for sewage, but I have no idea how they remove it. Maybe they have a service that comes by every x months and does so.

I'd make a wild guess and say that the construction costs were 10x normal construction prices.

I also don't see how they purchased the land on the beach, because Cali doesn't allow that -- the woman I was running with when I first saw it said that they "snuck in" just before the govt put their foot down. She's never seen anyone in it, and she runs this area all the time.

They must have bought the land right there and possibly the cliff area too.

I did a search for other pix:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oakland...7594270988951/
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information