ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Angry Wedding Crashers Steal Photo Equipment!

Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: Wedding Crashers Steal Photo Equipment!

That is so crazy, one would never think? I guess if they will steal from a church anything goes for them.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I did a few weddings and always had that thought in the back of my mind. There really isn't much you can do about it - even having an assistant wouldn't keep all eyes on all gear at every moment. I can't see someone hiring an assistant to mainly just keep an eye on gear. I'm sure it would help though. For the other cases, I guess that's why you're insured but that won't bring back images that are on the memory cards in the stolen cameras.

Well thats the photographers fault, you never, ever put your gear down like that...
    Second, that is why you buy insurance to cover your gear and your lost photos...and I bet that guy didn't have coverage for either ....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

"Be warned and be careful!"

How about it!!!

I'm always a little paranoid about my gear. Thankfully, my wife is usually with me to keep an eye on my gear.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

That's pretty sad. If someone wants to steal something bad enough, they'll steal it regardless of what kind of security measures you take. At least the cops have video of the crime and hopefully will be able to track those guys down. I feel bad for the b & g.....they probably paid handsomely for the guy's services, and now have nothing to show for it.

You can bet this gear is being stolen either for someone or to be sold on Ebay or Yahoo.

As for gear safety, I never put my gear down and I do not carry a bag, everything I need is either on the camera, in my pockets or on my belt. When carrying the camera it is always on my shoulder and the strap is held by the hand on that side. I never ever put the strap around my neck, for two reasons. #1: It will give you neck problems #2: it's easier to get pulled down to the ground if someone tries to get the camera while on your neck. It's much easier to hold on to when it's on your shoulder and not as easy to get you off balance in a struggle.

I have heard of gear being stolen at all kinds of events, including NFL games, the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400. Everyone is at risk, even at home. When I drive through Indy with my gear it's covered up with a blanket. That can cause a cop to get nervous on a traffic stop though As the economy worsens thefts will grow, and theifs will get bolder. Security measure have to change with the times.....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    You can bet this gear is being stolen either for someone or to be sold on Ebay or Yahoo.

As for gear safety, I never put my gear down and I do not carry a bag, everything I need is either on the camera, in my pockets or on my belt. When carrying the camera it is always on my shoulder and the strap is held by the hand on that side. I never ever put the strap around my neck, for two reasons. #1: It will give you neck problems #2: it's easier to get pulled down to the ground if someone tries to get the camera while on your neck. It's much easier to hold on to when it's on your shoulder and not as easy to get you off balance in a struggle.

I have heard of gear being stolen at all kinds of events, including NFL games, the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400. Everyone is at risk, even at home. When I drive through Indy with my gear it's covered up with a blanket. That can cause a cop to get nervous on a traffic stop though As the economy worsens thefts will grow, and theifs will get bolder. Security measure have to change with the times.....

JS
    Can't you just envision some guy buying that stuff on ebay, and finding out the card hasn't been formatted, and he's seeing someone's wedding pics?
    As for me, I usually have my monopod at hand, just in case I need to defend myself.
    Most of the time though, I keep my bag on my shoulder, and if I leave it at all, I give it to my wife, or lock it in the trunk of my car.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

I think it's a lot different being a news photographer versus being a wedding photographer. There is no way I could carry all my gear on me for a wedding. You can just do your best to hide your gear or put it in a place where someone is going to notice someone else touching it.

Heck a Pelican case and a cable lock might not be a bad idea.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yeah I agree with berry. Theres no way you can carry all your stuff with you for weddings/studio shoots. The fact is that things like this happen, no matter what profession you are in. They were brave, and halfway decent with the execution.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Actually, I assisted a wedding years ago and that's pretty much all I did.
    Then again, I'm in NYC - and here, you learn to EXPECT that to happen and be happy when it doesn't!

Thread Information