ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Why Am I Here?

learning member

Post Why Am I Here?

When I first got started in "serious photography", I didn't have any problem going around with my K-1000, 60-300 Kalimar zoom, flash, bracket, diffuser. Since then I had lost interest in taking picts, only using a point & shoot at family gatherings.
    I had not lost interest in photograpy, as I still read all the magazines I could get my hands on.
    last summer, I bought a new maxxum-7 35mm syestem. I took a few rolls trying to learn how to use the camera, but months later, it sat in its bag unused.
    Then I ran accross Photography Review, and in a forum discussion, Matthiau from Costarica Had posted some interesting picts, some were of an ugly cockroach.
    I thought to myself; Hey I used to take macro picts of ugly cockroachs! (nobody liked them).
    I've been on the site hoping to get my ENTHUSIASM back!
    It's working! I have visited numerous gallaries and all have fantastick picts.My camera is out of the bag (resting on the owners manual) and i've been shooting!
    I've made several replies, and have made an ass of myself more than once. I Promise it wont happen again! Yea right! Seriously, I never intended to offend anyone.
    Thank you Photography Review!
    You're a great outlet, and tremendous learning tool.
    Mark

the beauty in it

I have a huge tendency to make an heel of myself by voulunteering or sorts of opinions and thoughts about stufff that I barely know anything about...the best part is:

- there's always someone on here that knows ten times less than you do.

- even the people that know ten times MORE than you do.
    sometimes benefit from a second set of eyes and ideas.

-photography should be fun...it should be about making mistakes...

- someone will find giant cockroaches fascinating....i do...

this forum is so diverse in the talent and walk of life that people travel on--- that it's a perfect place for learning and growing. no post is stupid, dumb, etc.

We may laugh at you behind close doors but remember we are laughing with you and not at you...lol just kidding REALLY just kidding

I started with a really underexposed muddy looking purple flower that was riddled with holes, when I posted it for critique---I hadn't tried to take any pictures seriously for about 7years if not more... i thought it was one of the prettiest pics I had ever taken

the gist of what I got back was:

"try to pick a better flower to photograph that doesn't have holes, lots of exposure this and that (I had a Toshiba PDR m25 or something like that with 2.0 mp)""underexposed, muddy tones, no contrast,etc""composition is not very good" long story short stick with it---enjoy it first and foremost--and regardless of whether your pic is someone's cup of tea or it may not be perfectly, exposed composed,etc

Ultimately your stlye and your vision prevail, cuz dude you're the artist behind the camera

"I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Liz

Cool Re: Glad you're here!

Hey Mark!

I enjoyed reading your post - thanks for sharing with us.

When I first checked PR out, I was thrilled that I found people I could share my hobby with. I was looking for a P&S camera and posted asking for suggestions. People replied by asking me a lot of questions. When I shared my enthusiasm, a few people here suggested I get a SLR vs P&S. I did. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Plus the fact that I found a great website, and made lots of friends that have the same interests, not to mention how much I've learned. Everything I know about photography, I've learned here.

BTW, I was so excited the day I picked up my Rebel 2K that I stopped to do some shooting as soon as I could pull the car over. It was raining - and my first pics were of pigeons in a gray parking lot on a cold rainy day. You can imagine what they looked like!

We're glad to have you here - and you have lots to offer.

Liz

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Glad you're here!

When I first posted here on Viewfinder (4 years ago this month!) I was intimidated by everyone up here. It was a different cast back then but the talent was similar. Only now after $&*! posts and 4 years of shooting and learning from you guys that I finally feel I'm posting stuff on a level with you guys.

Mark, thanks for sticking around.

To the rest of you - thanks!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Why Am I Here?

Dear Mark,

For myself, having only been here since October (4 months, wow, it seems longer than that!), it might seem that I wouldn't have much to say on the subject. But for me, PR.com has really been great. The people are wonderful, honest (where it counts ), and helpful in every way. The site is really a great resource for the aspiring photographer, and you are probably one of the many such inspired photographers who found PR.com such a help.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Great Post!

Ohhhhh - you guys all make me feel so good. I want the site to inspire us. It is a business and equipment discussions and reviews pay the bills, but my personal goal is to cultivate a place where photographers get encouraged, stimulated, and inspired. And when I say "photographers," that includes me, too.

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to know that people are getting more than technical information and equipment guidance here.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Why Am I Here?

Thank you too. It's post like these that can encourage others and myself. I'm glad that this site has helped you, because three years ago this site gave me the confidence to pick up a real camera and give photography a try.

I wish you the best in your goals, and interests. It will be a pleasure to see you around.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Liz

Talking Hey there Loren!

I'm glad that this site has helped you, because three years ago this site gave me the confidence to pick up a real camera and give photography a try.

I didn't know that! Isn't that great!

I always love your posts - especially your beautiful photos! I didn't know you got your real start here.......

Liz

Re: Hey there Loren!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I didn't know you got your real start here.......

Liz
    Hi Liz,

If you would have seen my first posts, or my first questions you would definitely know how much of a rookie I was.

I always had a camera, and had the desire to photograph, but never stepped out on a limb. I found the N80 recommendations here on a web search, and really liked the advice on how to use a warming filter with Velvia. It's funny, that question never gets asked any more.

Thank you Liz, for you are constant source of confidence and encouragement. Your positive outlook helps a lot of us, in apparent and also subtle ways.

Have a great evening, and I also enjoy your posts too.

Kindest regards,
    Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Thread Information