Long Live Film!!!!

Printable View

• 03-30-2006, 06:48 PM
    Liz
    Re: You know what I find ironic....
    When I made the switch to digital - 300D - it took me about a year to "let go" of my film camera (Rebel 2K) which I loved.

Even after I finally sold the camera, I kept about 20 rolls of Supra 100 & 400 and the Ilford Delta 100 b&w film in the refrigerator. The Supra had been discontinued and it was such awesome film. It expired, and I finally gave the rest of it away, but it was difficult.

I still love b&w in film.

Personally I've found my digital camera has paid for itself - and my lenses with the option of taking so many images and being able to pick & print. Also my photography has improved immensely for the same reasons.

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    You are right!

This was taken with a Coolpix 5700.

;-)

That's a Nikon, BTW...

• 03-30-2006, 06:48 PM
    walterick
    Re: My current stash of film....
    Soon we'll be seeing baby pics from all those new cameras :)
  • 03-31-2006, 06:18 AM
    Speed
    Forsake the film and come to the digital side, Luke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schrackman
    I'm sure glad I don't have to treat my flash card like a baggie of cold contraband. ;)

Forsake the film and come to the digital side, Luke, all the way. :D

Hey Ray,

Technically, I've been shooting some digital for a couple of years now with the Coolpix 5700. But come Christmas, I'm getting into digital big time, with a D200.

But all the way? Naw. I love my film too much. I forsee shooting less print film, and primarly shooting slides once I get the D200. We'll see.

Thanks for the comments buddy!
  • 03-31-2006, 06:31 AM
    Speed
    Inside our vacant wine refrigerator, I have my rolls of film
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    Inside our vacant wine refrigerator, I have my rolls of film.

On the left is Fuji Astia 100 for my RZ67, and several rolls of Agfa RSX 200 color tranparency film. I use this film to scan in color and then convert to B&W.

Then I have my beloved, Veliva, Provia, and Velva 100F for my F6.

Not to forget my one roll of Delta 1600...

Of course..all photos taken with a digital D200..go figure.

The one bottle of champage is Vivue Cliqout which we'll drink when our upcoming child is born...just found out this morning!! :)

Loren

Hmmm, the wine refrigerator is practically empty and you have a baby on the way? Coincidence? ;-)

CONGRATULATIONS LOREN!!!!!!

To you and your bride.

BTW, that's an excellent use of the refrigerator!

Can't wait to read your review of the D200 buddy.
  • 03-31-2006, 07:18 AM
    Liz
    Re: Forsake the film and come to the digital side, Luke
    But all the way? Naw. I love my film too much.

Hmmmmmmmmm......I've heard that before somewhere....many times....it's like an echo!
    :D :D :D

We'll see. :)

Liz
  • 03-31-2006, 07:52 AM
    walterick
    Re: Inside our vacant wine refrigerator, I have my rolls of film
    Quote:

Hmmm, the wine refrigerator is practically empty and you have a baby on the way? Coincidence? ;-)

LOL Speed :)
  • 03-31-2006, 10:14 AM
    shutterman
    Re: wait till christmas --
    Quote:

Oh it's killing me! Christmas seems like it's decades away!

And I may change my mind, but I can't see giving up slides.

I know cameras today come with a "saturated" mode, or a "very saturated" mode, or a "super saturated" mode. And apparently they still aren't the same as Velvia, otherwise Outdoor Photographer wouldn't be writing articles on "How To" get the Velvia look - via Photoshop.

Also, there is the matter of the SB-800. It is going to take me a while to save up the money for it. Hopefully I'll get it by Fathers Day 2007, but it may have to wait until Christmas 2007 - oh the horror of the very thought! So the D200 will be primarly an outdoor camera until I get a SB-800.

Thanks for the comments buddy! And I'm jealous that you already have a D200. It is everything you dreamed it would be? Have you written a review of it yet?

Speed - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - was traveling.

Haven't tried out all the modes "in-camera" yet but I like what I see so far. My post production time is way down already.

True enough about the SB-800. I had to get one. The on-camera flash is ok for snapshots, but nothing near the capabilities of the SB-800. I would highly recommend it.

Also, haven't done a reveiw since I have barely scratched the surface..... but lovin every minute of it.

BTW, what I thought was going to be a "body only" purchase turned into:

body + kit lense
    + 3 year protection
    + SB-800
    + upgrade to CS2 (so it could read the raw files) - but man CS2 is the greatest!

thanks, wes
  • 03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
    freygr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    clip...
    The one bottle of champage is Vivue Cliqout which we'll drink when our upcoming child is born...just found out this morning!! :)

Loren

Congratulations, on the child, But get your sleep NOW once the child is born.... it will be a couple sleepless months :D
    {Father of 8}
  • 03-31-2006, 03:16 PM
    Speed
    a "body only" purchase turned into:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterman
    Speed - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - was traveling.

Haven't tried out all the modes "in-camera" yet but I like what I see so far. My post production time is way down already.

True enough about the SB-800. I had to get one. The on-camera flash is ok for snapshots, but nothing near the capabilities of the SB-800. I would highly recommend it.

Also, haven't done a reveiw since I have barely scratched the surface..... but lovin every minute of it.

BTW, what I thought was going to be a "body only" purchase turned into:

body + kit lense
    + 3 year protection
    + SB-800
    + upgrade to CS2 (so it could read the raw files) - but man CS2 is the greatest!

thanks, wes

Hehehe!

Which is part of why I've put off going digital so long. All the associated costs. I knew I'd need a new computer, compact flash cards, SB-800, and I figure on upgrading to PS Elements 4.0.

That is also why I'm spreading it out over a year or so.

But Christmas still seems like such a LONG time away!
  • 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
    racingpinarello
    Re: Inside our vacant wine refrigerator, I have my rolls of film
    Speed,

That's great...not too far away from the truth either... ;)

That D200 review is coming up too!!

Have a good weekend,
    Loren
  • 04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
    racingpinarello
    Thanks Liz...we are very happy about it. At the same time, I am also very happy to have my stash of film bought for. It may be tougher to buy a 20 pack of Velvia in 9 months.

Thank you again Liz....
  • 04-01-2006, 10:06 PM
    I_Fly
    Re: Long Live Film!!!!
    Nice collection buddy! I'm curious to see how much your shooting changes after getting your D200. With and without a flash. I like your choices of film though. Mostly the same stuff I used to shoot.
  • 04-03-2006, 05:27 AM
    Speed
    I like your choices of film though.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Nice collection buddy! I'm curious to see how much your shooting changes after getting your D200. With and without a flash. I like your choices of film though. Mostly the same stuff I used to shoot.

" Mostly the same stuff I used to shoot."

Great minds think alike!

;-)

I'm also curious to see how much my shooting changes. I can easily see shooting less (or even no) print film, but I just can't see giving up slides.

Thanks for the comments buddy!

PS: Did you get my email?
  • 04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
    I_Fly
    Re: I like your choices of film though.
    "Great minds think alike!"

Yup!

Got your email, sent a reply a little bit ago.
  • 05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
    Lthlwpn1979
    Quote:

Originally Posted by walterick
    Soon we'll be seeing baby pics from all those new cameras :)

You mean the cameras will have babies?!
  • 05-15-2006, 05:31 AM
    Axle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lthlwpn1979
    You mean the cameras will have babies?!

Why do you think I keep all my cameras in Seperate bags? Unless I put my Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 in with my Minolta X-7A, do you think they'll have a baby dSLR that'll grow into a full sized one?

As for film, I'm once again shooting a roll of Sensia 400 next weekend at Spring Fellowship. Plus I have a roll of Agfa Ulta 100 and 2 of Kodak HD 400.
  • 05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
    Lthlwpn1979
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axle
    Why do you think I keep all my cameras in Seperate bags? Unless I put my Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 in with my Minolta X-7A, do you think they'll have a baby dSLR that'll grow into a full sized one?

If that's possible, then why have my Canon Elan 7E and Pentax 645 not spawned an incredible hybrid? Maybe I should introduce 645 to Sony Cybershot and perhaps get a digital 645 as the result!