ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    this isn't the old PR anymore

Light painting and my not-studio

My obsession as of late is light-painting. I am sure that a lot of you have tried it but for some reason I hadn't thought I could pull it off on film. Now with digital i try everything i can and light painting has struck my fancy. I thought maybe if you haven't tried it you would reconsider...for me its some of the best fun i have ever had with a camera.

Since i have not yet made my sketchy-homemade-gonna break- remote shutter release i just use a 30 second exposure. I paint in with a small mag-lite. As you can see from my really bad studio shot, it takes nothing to make a nice place for a light painting. Since i don't have a tripod my camera rests on the rolling chair in the studio shot. It is sort of creepy to be in the attic of an odd barn with the lights turned off but so far so good. The background is a sail i scrounged.

I hope maybe a few people will comment. Maybe a few will even try it out?

-pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Light painting and my not-studio-img_4411_600.jpg   Light painting and my not-studio-studio.jpg  

Re: Light painting and my not-studio

Dear Pete,

Cool photo! The compass (or whatever it is) seems to glow. A nice warm glow. Reminiscent of the old Dutch masters. You have certainly inspired, as you hoped to!

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

learning

Im gonna try that tonight! To the the bathroom/studio!!!!!

Really nice, there are a lot of ways to get results! Curious, what kind of film do you use - neg or slide?

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Really nice, there are a lot of ways to get results! Curious, what kind of film do you use - neg or slide?

These shots are actually on my 10D, sorry if my post wasn't so clear. I also have shot a roll of tri-x but haven't gotten to a darkroom to develop it yet. Setting exposure and getting your technique down with digital is a great idea, and its much more fun.

Thanks for the comments, i am glad some people are going to give it a shot

-pete

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

dude!

Quote Originally Posted by petemac
    My obsession as of late is light-painting. I am sure that a lot of you have tried it but for some reason I hadn't thought I could pull it off on film.

-pete
    I like the warm quality of the first image.

You can pull it off with film! The concept has been around pre-digital. Yes! (gasps) Believe it or not! Heh heh heh..... When I was in High School waaaaaaay back in the primitive 1980's, i saw a photographer's work with a pen light. Forgot his name.... But is was in (bigger gasp) black and white!!!

Megan
    Disclaimer: All of the gasps and mocking is done in a lighthearted, teasing manner. Please don't take offense.

Re: dude!

Quote Originally Posted by megan
    I like the warm quality of the first image.

You can pull it off with film! The concept has been around pre-digital. Yes! (gasps) Believe it or not! Heh heh heh..... When I was in High School waaaaaaay back in the primitive 1980's, i saw a photographer's work with a pen light. Forgot his name.... But is was in (bigger gasp) black and white!!!

Megan
    Disclaimer: All of the gasps and mocking is done in a lighthearted, teasing manner. Please don't take offense.

haha, yes i am aware that its around far before me and my digital camera. But, digital makes it so simple and fun. I used to light paint with a penlight in the darkroom, interestingly enough. It was fun to use photo paper and make an image of shadows on paper with one of those doctor check your eye pen lights. I think my favorite pen light image is the one of picasso....

i can't find a good copy of it but http://www.lacc.cc.ca.us/~auerbala/images/picasso.jpg is the picture.

If i can find any of the darkroom light painting style prints i will head to the library and scan them.

dave black also teaches the technique at some of his workshops and is amazing.

-pete

Thread Information