ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

The last few days..

Alright, its not that big of a deal, and even though they are going, there gonna be going for a good cause. Okay, let me fill you in. About three years ago, one of my older friends introduced me to my first camera, a simple film slr camera, specificly the Pentax ME super. However, as time passed the camera body broke, but the lenses remained fully operational. Well, i decided a few weeks ago that ill go ahead and get a quote on the two lenses and My quote came to $130, and i was pretty happy with that, as it would pay for roughy a third of my next camera. I had a great time using these lenses, but its time for them to go..Thanks for listening.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

I can relate...

A couple of years ago I sold an entire older film SLR system. I never used it anymore, and the money was way too good to pass up. Like you, I put the cash towards buying new gear.

But when I think of all the shots those cameras and lenses took, truely all the formative photos of my early career, it really made me reflect and feel a little sad...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

ViewFinder?

LoudPicture-
    How come you posted this on the Off-Topic forum? It's a perfect ViewFinder post. I'll move it for you if you want.

I had a couple of ME Supers. Those cameras served me well. I have a serious soft spot for Pentax 35mm SLRs due to those, a Super Program, and a Program Plus I had.

I don't know what you're planning to buy, but have you thought about buying a Pentax digital SLR? Your K-mount lenses will work fine with a Pentax *ist D.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: The last few days..

Well, the problem lies here, i would really love to buy a digital SLR, but unfortunatly, being a student, I dont currently have a job to fund a camera like that. Selling the lenses is my main source of money to buy a new camera. Im opting for the Minolta Dimage A1 (Roughly $330 used).

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: ViewFinder?

I'm in the process of liquidating a couple of my lenses and it's a strange feeling. They are nothing special, just a pair of kit lenses that came with my first SLR, but I still have a soft spot for them. I think I have used one of the two lenses, twice in the last 18 months or so, but it's still feels strange to send them down the road.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I owned an ME Super at one point and loved it. One of the best cameras to fit into my hand. I've considered actually buying another one but don't know when I'd ever use it.

I've also let some old equipment go and there is definitely a mourning process that goes along with it. There's something sad about selling your first SLR or the old zoom you always used to use exclusively. But, out with the old, in with the new! Cleaning out the old gear simply makes room for the new gear. Which eventually becomes the old gear, which gets liquidated to make room for the new gear again. Everything moves in cycles, see?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Pentax Forum Moderator

I still have my Pentax MG and a Pentax MV...I recently had them checked out...the MV needs a bit of work, but the MG only needs light seals...I really liked using the MG...I've had it for about 15 years...but never used it much. The MV I picked up at a garage sale about 2 years ago with a Vivitar Flash, Zoom lens, and a few accessories for $10.00...I figured if worse came to worse, I could use it for parts...and I actually did eventually use the winder knob on the MG...hehe...turns out that the zoom lenses iris sticks...would cost $100.00 to fix...so will probably just keep it for posterity!!! hehe...
    I'll keep looking forward to your pics with the new camera when you get it..
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I to am the proud owner of a pentax, the pentax me with a 50mm f/1.7 lens and a 28-90mm lens. Great camera. I've used it a couple times and am very impressed with the results. I got mine from a friend in Washington state, it was her mother's camera then hers. Sadly the motor drive broke.... but it's still a great backup camera for myself or one I can loan out to a student of photography.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Ok two things to say here. First I have always loved Pentax and think that their early SLR's were some of the best available, and their glass was right up there with the very best of the early 35mm SLR's. By early I'm referring to early as I know it 60's. Second I rarely will sell or trade a camera or lens. I just get to attached to them. I still have cameras that I bought in the early 70's. That is why I own 8 Nikons today. Yes, some of them I will probably never use again others I go back to every once in a while. The old F still gets pulled out every once in while. At any rate this love for the camera's that I use and get to know resently reared it's ugly head. I will not bog down this thrread with what I did, but I think I'll start another just to see if other are a crazy as I am sometimes.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information