ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Some model shots from a local camera shop's Sony Alpha demo event

Hey guys, a local camera shop in Vancouver, Broadway Cameras held a 4 hour demo event at Aberdeen Centre for the new Sony Alpha - I didn't really look at the camera much but I took the opportunity to snag a few shots of the models they had in a makeshift studio in the middle of the mall. The had a small stage with a pink backdrop and two main light sources in front of the models, one elevated and one on the stage floor, then they had two other light sources behind the models on either side of the stage pointing 45 degrees at the backdrop - I don't know anything about lighting but some photographer there said the lighting was flat. Anyway, the models were mostly posing for the official demo photographer there or for any volunteers that wanted to try out the camera, I just jockeyed for position to get some shots. I'll post my fave ones here - let me know what you think. I had some also when the photographer became the model but I don't know if I should post those here in case she's a member of this forum and gets mad
    Thanks for looking

--
    Dale

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Some model shots from a local camera shop's Sony Alpha demo event

nice shots! you had better models than the Henry's store in Toronto. I personally didn't like the way the alpha felt in my hand. But oh well.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle
    nice shots! you had better models than the Henry's store in Toronto. I personally didn't like the way the alpha felt in my hand. But oh well.
    Hey thanks. I have a Rebel XT so it's probably about the same feel, I barely touched it though, I was more there to get practice shooting models. Do you have any pics of the models from your demo show?
    --
    Dale

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormrider
    Do you have any pics of the models from your demo show?
    Sadly no. It was enough trouble just to get my hands on one of the demo Alphas. And then a very nice sales rep started talking to me about my Nikon F80, and how he could pimp it out. So we moved on from there.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Lighting is uneven from shot to shot, which also shows in the skin colouring as well as the backdrop. A back hair light would have made a considerable positive difference as well as better lighting around some of the dark eyes, that is of course, if you have control of the lighting situation.

A pro photographer who does a lot of model shooting, generally has an assistant with make-up to cover minor moles and skin blemishes which distract the viewer. Some models also do their own make-up. When neither is the case, such as in this event, the photographer is left to do the "make-over" using PhotoShop.

In posing a model, the basic idea is to accentuate the positive and de-emphasize the minor physical imperfections. To do that, as a photographer you need to be looking very closely at your models. A pointed chin, for example should not be inadvertently emphasized by the pose or the angle of the shot, as it is above.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Lighting is uneven from shot to shot, which also shows in the skin colouring as well as the backdrop. A back hair light would have made a considerable positive difference as well as better lighting around some of the dark eyes, that is of course, if you have control of the lighting situation.

A pro photographer who does a lot of model shooting, generally has an assistant with make-up to cover minor moles and skin blemishes which distract the viewer. Some models also do their own make-up. When neither is the case, such as in this event, the photographer is left to do the "make-over" using PhotoShop.

In posing a model, the basic idea is to accentuate the positive and de-emphasize the minor physical imperfections. To do that, as a photographer you need to be looking very closely at your models. A pointed chin, for example should not be inadvertently emphasized by the pose or the angle of the shot, as it is above.

Ronnoco
    Thanks for the detailed analysis. The lighting (of which I am clueless about) was set up by the photographer there presumably. The makeup I think was done by someone for the gals, I saw a lady hanging around that looked like she might have been the one who took care of the gals. I didn't have anything to do with the posing either as it was the demo photographer calling the shots but yes, I should look for those things you mentioned if I can next time (might not be too easy as I was surrounded by photographers and the gals were not posing for me but I can try to manouver more next time).

Oh, and the uneven lighting, I wonder if that was just my camera's auto metering going goofy on me from shot to shot ... I went with no flash too.
    --
    Dale

Thread Information