ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

What's up? I can't find Canon 70-200 F4L In Stock...

I've been looking for a week or so.. B&H, Adorama, Canoga are all 'Out of stock/backordered'..

I WANT THIS LENS!

I'm leaving on 07/16/04, and wanted this lens for my trip. UUUUGGGHHH!

Does anyone know why they are out of stock?

I went ahead and ordered from Canoga, but I will cancel the order if I can find one in stock.

HELP!

Kathy

Liz

Suggestion

Hi Kathy,

I would call the 800 numbers and ask about when it will be in. They may not know, but I had a good experience with B&H. My Rebel 300D was pre-ordered, and I'm fairly sure it was shipped before it was shelved. At any rate I got it very quickly once they received the shipment.

Here's one 800#: B&H 800-947-9950 (just bought a 85mm/f1.8 and the bill is right in front of me waiting for a rebate).

I'll say a little prayer it arrives on time.

Liz

Thanks Liz!

Canoga said that it cannot fill my order by 07/14/04. They were nice though. B&H does not know when it will be in - I asked them through their Live Assistance Online. I'd prefer buying from B&H, but they just don't know....

I want a lens! Now I am also looking at Sigma's 70-200 F2.8 ($800.00) or Canon 70-200 F2.8 ($1000.00). The weight of the 2.8 lenses are a bit of an issue for me. I'd probably rather have the Canon - but the price on the Sigma is tempting.....

I figured that the Canon 70-200 F4L would work well for what I need. But I may go ahead and upgrade...

Kathy

For what it's worth....

I bought the 70-200 F4L and while it is a great lens, I immediately wanted the 2.8. I sold the F4 and bought the f2.8 IS. Wish I had just gotten it in the first place!
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. -Thomas Jefferson

Liz

Kathy........don't compromise....

"I want a lens! Now I am also looking at Sigma's 70-200 F2.8 ($800.00) or Canon 70-200 F2.8 ($1000.00). The weight of the 2.8 lenses are a bit of an issue for me. I'd probably rather have the Canon - but the price on the Sigma is tempting.....

I figured that the Canon 70-200 F4L would work well for what I need. But I may go ahead and upgrade..."

Kathy,

Here comes a BIG suggestion from a Canon person. If I were you, and if you're not sure about the Sigma, don't get it. I've been very disappointed more than once because I really wanted to get something.

If you really want to upgrade, think about how big the weight issue is (carry around something the same weight as your camera/lens, etc.). Maybe it's not as bad as you think. Or maybe it is.

However there are options still!

1) Wait until the last minute - give yourself enough time to order overnight FedEx - very reliable. Or even order 2 days before if you're nervous (like me)
    2) Make an alternate plan B for something in stock (ex: 70-200/f2.8)
    3) Call the store early a.m. to see if they by chance got the f4 in (sometimes the website is a few days behind)
    4) Worst scenerio - they don't have it............go to Plan B
    5) Order the 2.8......or whatever.......
    6) Pray every day (and I'll pray too).

Smile...........it will work out! ;)
    Liz

Liz

Talking Update....Found one!

Kathy -
    I checked Normancamera.com and it looks like they have the Canon 70-200mm/f4L in stock. They don't have any "out of stock" notices up - and you can order it online, so I have to assume it's available. It's $579 and there is a rebate.

BTW - I've purchased 2 cameras from them. They are excellent to deal with - if they say they are shipping it in 5 minutes, they do it. They have a great rep for 30+ years.

I hope they have it. I would call them first thing in the a.m. They open at 9 or 10 EDT. Phone is 800-900-6676 (I had it in my files). Let me know.

I sent you a PM.......but am not sure how that works.

Link
    http://www.normancamera.com/shop/basket.asp

Lots of luck...and a prayer! ;)
    Liz

I have this one and I love it. This is the one that I use for all my dance stuff. Where are you going on your trip? Could you maybe rent one locally?

Hope you find one!

adina

Liz

Question Well, Kathy??????

Just waiting

Hope you had a good day! ;)

Liz

Hi Liz!

I've been out of town all day and just got in. I've just emailed Norman Camera. Hopefully they will email me soon, or I will call them tomorrow morning. Hopefully they'll be able to guarentee one by 07/14/04.

I am traveling to Wyoming and need a good (lighter) 'walking around' lens with a little more reach than my 28-135 IS. I also want to use the 70-200F4 lens for portraits/weddings later.

I will bring a Canon 300mm 2.8L and a 1.4x for Yellowstone's wildlife. Hopefully we'll see some great animals! And I am also going to be photographing some rodeos/cowboys( ;) ) in Cody and Cheyenne.

I can't wait!

Thank you for your help! I'll let you know what happens!

Kathy

Liz

Wow! Can I come?

This sounds so great! I'm ready for a vacation

I'm happy for you - I trust Norman will come through. They are so nice to speak with. I would call them first thing if you don't have an email waiting for you.

Have a wonderful time, Kathy......enjoy. I'll be looking forward to seeing your wonderful pics, especially with the 300mm and the new 70-200/f4L. I tried this lens once. Awesome!

Liz

Liz!

They emailed me this morning & said that they had 1 in stock. They said that they would pull it off the shelf for me.

So I called Norman and the salesman said that they were out of stock. Then I told them that 1 should have been saved for me AND PRESTO! It was saved for me!

They said it will be shipped today! GREAT!!

Thanks Liz!

Your prayers and help are greatly appreciated!

Kathy

Liz

Talking oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh YES!

Kathy,
    I am SOOOOOOOO happy for you! I can feel your excitement. We all know that GREAT feeling. I know you'll love it......have a great time!

Let us know how you like it.

WOW! ONE left.......yep....it pays to say a little prayer. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    Liz!

They emailed me this morning & said that they had 1 in stock. They said that they would pull it off the shelf for me.

So I called Norman and the salesman said that they were out of stock. Then I told them that 1 should have been saved for me AND PRESTO! It was saved for me!

They said it will be shipped today! GREAT!!

Thanks Liz!

Your prayers and help are greatly appreciated!

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgirl
    I've been looking for a week or so.. B&H, Adorama, Canoga are all 'Out of stock/backordered'..

I WANT THIS LENS!

I'm leaving on 07/16/04, and wanted this lens for my trip. UUUUGGGHHH!

Does anyone know why they are out of stock?

I went ahead and ordered from Canoga, but I will cancel the order if I can find one in stock.

HELP!

Kathy
    Kathy

If it does not have to be a Canon lens, the first three Vivitar Series 1 70-210's, and the Kiron 70-210lens, test sharper, and faster than the Canon f/4 I assume that you are speaking of manual focus?

QLP

Thread Information