ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Fire in Elmsford

Here are a few shots I took from a house fire back in November.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Fire in Elmsford

Nice shots, did you enjoy the show? Looks like these guys had their hands full.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by NYRANGERS
    Here are a few shots I took from a house fire back in November.
    Looks like the house was a loss. I hope they all got out safely.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Hey all thanks for the comments on the pics--have a bunch more--just didnt have the time to reduce them in size for the site lol. Yes, the house fully involved was a total loss and the house next door also went up--both house were going on arrival, I pretty much pulled up the same time the trucks did. Everyone got out safe thankfully-special thanks to a police officer who drove his patrol car on the lawn to rescue someone trapped on the porch roof. He made this rescue just as FD pulled up. How much of a difference would a steady f2.8 lens make when taking pics like this? I am sure its a stupid question, but I want the sigma 70-200f2.8 and was just wondering if this would help with shooting pics like this?

Quote Originally Posted by NYRANGERS
    Hey all thanks for the comments on the pics--clip......
    How much of a difference would a steady f2.8 lens make when taking pics like this? I am sure its a stupid question, but I want the sigma 70-200f2.8 and was just wondering if this would help with shooting pics like this?
    I think any faster glass will help. But with the faster glass does come less DOF! There are faster prime lenses than f2.8 which will give you better resolution if you shooting film.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

What a great shot. Too bad, it was your house that was on fire.
    I've taken every step in my life with appreciation that i may never pass this way again. Document memories with a camera on hand

Nice job there, I always get a fire after it's out so I get shots like the one below.
    Funny you mention the officer saving a life by driving onto the lawn. When I lived in Ohio my apartment was broken into and an officer came to stop in the front yard. The suspect jumpout a second floor window, onto the police car and ran off. Five cops chased him but couldn't catch him.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire in Elmsford-js080005.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

open shutters
    it wasnt my house that was on fire lol.

JSPhoto--thanks-I really enjoy fire photography and stuff like that, but I also enjoy sports photography-Yankee games and stuff like that. I actually got tickets to a Freestyle Motocross event which is int 2 weeks--Its at an indoor arena and I really would like to take my camera there--any idea how to go about maybe getting a press pass just so I can get my camera in there in case they dont let me in?
    How do you like the canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens? I am thinking of getting it--actually going down to adorama thursday-decided to trade in my nikon d100 and 2 lenses to gt the eos 40d. Is the canon IS lens worth the money?

I'm not a Canon user but the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens, is a good lens. I've seen the photos from a Prophotographer and that is the focal length he uses all the time at the big Horse Shows. He is all digital and must make a good living at it.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Yeah, the IS is worth the $$ as id the lens! It's the one I use most of the time. It's a great all-round lens, I have used ut for all types of sports and news photography, that, and a 16-35mm make up pretty much all you need for most shooting.
    Depending on the lighting you may need a flash for the motocross.

As for credentials, I just tell the paper I want to shoot something and let them deal with getting the credentials unless it's a group that knows me and then I call them or email them. This month I'll be shooting Monster Jam at the RCA Dome for the paper thanks to my contacts I found one of our local demo derby drivers is driving in the demo derby so I'll get to shoot that and the monster trucks. If you have a local paper try talking to them and see if they need any photo stringers.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information