ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Dramatic Florida Landscapes

These are some images of my native land which I have captured with my new camera. When Florida comes to the mind of most people they see strings of white sand beaches and waves with gulls and pelicans swooping by on the wing, or they see a giant golfball and Micky Mouse ears. Yes, while that is a big part of what Florida is, when I think of my home state this is what I see in my mind.

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Dramatic Florida Landscapes

Almo I like the angled shot. i have never seen shots like these in any brochure.
    JB.

Nice, the 2nd is my fav.

New camera, huh? What'd ya get?
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Congrats on the camera Almo. Glad to see you still around. I like #2 and also the angled one. You handled them all well. Great work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    Nice, the 2nd is my fav.

New camera, huh? What'd ya get?
    Thanks Adi

I got me a Pentax K10D... Which is the main reason for the sigline...

Congrats on the camera Almo. Glad to see you still around. I like #2 and also the angled one. You handled them all well. Great work.
    Thanks Greg!

I was tempted to try Oly again, since the main issue I had with the camera was related to the body of the camera, but the only Oly that really interested me was the E3, and that was just too far out of my reach. However, I find that I am really liking the Pentax. It seems to fit me very well.

Almo I like the angled shot. I have never seen shots like these in any brochure.
    JB.
    Yeah, they keep that stuff on the QT because the only people that would give a hoot about it wouldn't come to spend their life savings at Disney World during their stay.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo

Yeah, they keep that stuff on the QT because the only people that would give a hoot about it wouldn't come to spend their life saving at Disney World during thier stay.
    hahah thats great! What part of flordia is this near? I've been all over the southern part of florida south of Orlando, and i was in some areas like this. It was alot of fun since we were there for a "biota of florida" class over spring break. We camped out and learned plants and animals of all the ecosystems etc. ever since ive wanted to go back and see more of the pine lands and the everglades (esp now that i have a good camera)..... on another note i think that trip is what single handedly got me interested in Photography.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan8i
    hahah thats great! What part of flordia is this near? I've been all over the southern part of florida south of Orlando, and i was in some areas like this. It was alot of fun since we were there for a "biota of florida" class over spring break. We camped out and learned plants and animals of all the ecosystems etc. ever since ive wanted to go back and see more of the pine lands and the everglades (esp now that i have a good camera)..... on another note i think that trip is what single handedly got me interested in Photography.
    Thanks Dylan!

It's a spot near my home in N.E. Florida. I don't wanna just give it away to everybody, but if you are really interested in the area send me a PM and i'll tell ya more about it.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

ehhh NE is good enough.... you ever find eastern diamond backs around there? looks like a great area for them.... they are high on my list to see.

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

ehhh NE is good enough.... you ever find eastern diamond backs around there? looks like a great area for them.... they are high on my list to see.
    I hear them more than see them. You can tell by the rattle if you have a big snake, well most of the time anyway. Rattles are known to break off, and there is a pygmy species here. I tend to avoid them when I am out in the woods alone. I see a lot more coral snakes than I see rattlers. My #1 snake is the copperhead, and to be honest, I have yet to see one up close in the wild.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Awesome, ive seend several copperheads and timber rattlers up close... i still need to go find a massassuga rattler someday (they live in a tiny park near my house). Coral would be awesome, but a the rattle is like my dinner bell (as a budding herpetologist), although i only take pics of the poisionous ones.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

Awesome, ive seend several copperheads and timber rattlers up close... i still need to go find a massassuga rattler someday (they live in a tiny park near my house). Coral would be awesome, but a the rattle is like my dinner bell (as a budding herpetologist), although i only take pics of the poisionous ones.
    As a budding Herper you should know that there is no such thing as a poisonous snake... Hots, as they are known, are not poisonous, they are venomous. These are two very different things.

I looked for massassugas the 3 years I lived in Michigan, but saddly I only found them a the zoo.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

yeah i do know the difference between poison, toxin, and venom. i'll make sure to share if i get any pics of the massassagua, i've always been there to early in the year.... but they have cover boards out for them (not that we are suppose to look under them), but maybe if noone is around ;D

i still need to find a cotton mouth to... kinda sucks living in the north.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

Sometimes you find a scene like this in the brochures, but it's only to let the theme park crowd know what to look for on the way to Kissimmee.

John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

yeah i do know the difference between poison, toxin, and venom. i'll make sure to share if i get any pics of the massassagua, i've always been there to early in the year.... but they have cover boards out for them (not that we are suppose to look under them), but maybe if noone is around ;D

i still need to find a cotton mouth to... kinda sucks living in the north.
    Oh, we have plenty of CMs. They are like roaches here. In the summer I see them just about everytime I go out. Not hard to find at all.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

...i'll make sure to share if i get any pics of the massassagua, i've always been there to early in the year.... but they have cover boards out for them (not that we are suppose to look under them), but maybe if noone is around ;D...
    Here are a few pics of the Eastern subspecies that I got years ago at the John Ball Park Zoo in Grand Rapids, Mi. They were taken with a Minolta 7i which unfortunately did not make the best camera for indoor zoo shooting.

John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nice, i hate how they are always overlapping each other in zoos like that though.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I got my fill of snakes early in my career covering local politics in the media and then teaching at UM and running the video department at the School of Law from 85 - 96. Now I just see the sharks when I go diving. Nice posts Almo. When you coming down for dinner? The deckcadet is actually closer to you now that he's a big shot college boy up in Gatorland, er i mean Gainesville.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Good luck with your Pentax. Good looking landscape scenes. I too like the slanted comp on that later one.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Love My D80

Hello Almo

Beautiful images. Just so you know, I was part of the Kissimmee theme park crowd. I visited there twice while attending a computer conference at the Dolphin hotel. I found the state of Florida very beautiful. Unfortunately most of the pictures I took where of Disney World.
    Jorge I Rodriguez

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Hey Almo
    That 5th one in that first set is really nice...It even looks like captured a virgin mary in it.. LOL
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    I got my fill of snakes early in my career covering local politics in the media and then teaching at UM and running the video department at the School of Law from 85 - 96. Now I just see the sharks when I go diving. Nice posts Almo. When you coming down for dinner? The deckcadet is actually closer to you now that he's a big shot college boy up in Gatorland, er i mean Gainesville.
    I'll be down a that way hopefully sometime in the late late summer, when it starts to cool a bit. I wanna do a run to key west, so I would be right through there too. I wanna see the Miami ink store
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Almo, great and informational images. For those of us who live in the Great White North and the Great Far West, our images of Florida are painted by programs like CSI Miami. It is nice to see other, more real images of the state. Thank you for this.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thread Information